• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

My parents were over yesterday and my dad said it looked like everyone sprayed roundup on their yards.

I'm going to stop posting my rainfall totals.  :(

There are places just to my east that have doubled my total for the past 10 days. The Manheim/MounMount Joy corridor has been hammered many times over the past few summers.

19 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There are places just to my east that have doubled my total for the past 10 days. The Manheim/MounMount Joy corridor has been hammered many times over the past few summers.

We received 3 bouts of heavy rains over the last 4 days.  Didn't expect it but we are lucky and glad to have it.  Lawn is alive, but still not healthy.  Cant imagine what lawns may look like if one didn't get much from the weekend, and doesn't get much in the next round of heat later this week.  Yuk.

29 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Oh you are fine.  I was not going to post "no rain" yesterday.  LOL.  Just posting what we are seeing.  I think seeing Voyagers post about how little Carlisle had received this month made me want to post my ob's then.  LOL

31 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

We received 3 bouts of heavy rains over the last 4 days.  Didn't expect it but we are lucky and glad to have it.  Lawn is alive, but still not healthy.  Cant imagine what lawns may look like if one didn't get much from the weekend, and doesn't get much in the next round of heat later this week.  Yuk.

Here is our neighbors,. who has not tried to save his like I have mine.  I think those really brown areas are not just dormant they are dead and will be dirt spots in the next week or two.   This pic is not as dramatic as Cash's almost totally brown/dormant pic.  

IMG_20200713_0944359.jpg

38 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Oh you are fine.  I was not going to post "no rain" yesterday.  LOL.  Just posting what we are seeing.  I think seeing Voyagers post about how little Carlisle had received this month made me want to post my ob's then.  LOL

Please don't think I'm posting to "rub it in". I do like to share obs, but really, in this case, I'm pretty much astonished by the discrepancies between locations that are not really that far away geographically.

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Please don't think I'm posting to "rub it in". I do like to share obs, but really, in this case, I'm pretty much astonished by the discrepancies between locations that are not really that far away geographically.

Oh not at all.  I was adding astonishment as  Carlisle's 1" plus is a flood compared to what we got over here.  LOL.  Please post away.  

45 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Here is our neighbors,. who has not tried to save his like I have mine.  I think those really brown areas are not just dormant they are dead and will be dirt spots in the next week or two.   This pic is not as dramatic as Cash's almost totally brown/dormant pic.  

IMG_20200713_0944359.jpg

thats similar to what we looked like prior to the rains.  still have a few areas that arent bouncing back, and maybe burnt toast already.  Having a couple shallow rock veins below surface is really challenging when trying to keep a nice lawn.

30 minutes ago, Voyager said:

sounds like the skuky precip dome got shoved SW.  

crazy totals your chalkin up.  Schuylkill river must be bustin at the seams.

10 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

sounds like the skuky precip dome got shoved SW.  

crazy totals your chalkin up.  Schuylkill river must be bustin at the seams.

The only things holding the river back here is the Tuscarora State Park Dam and the Still Creek Reservoir. If it weren't for those two upstream dams, I think we'd have problems for sure.

Today is a nice summer day. Temps and dews both down just a little, but noticeable. We have 2 weeks until we reach our daily maximum averages before they slowly start to sink back in August. At some point along the way maybe we'll see something tropical that gets everyone back to normal or above in the rain bucket. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Today is a nice summer day. Temps and dews both down just a little, but noticeable. We have 2 weeks until we reach our daily maximum averages before they slowly start to sink back in August. At some point along the way maybe we'll see something tropical that gets everyone back to normal or above in the rain bucket. 

For some reason I thought we actually hit peak max values a few days before the solstice and historically it levels off and then decreases once August starts.

On a side note one of my favorite things to do is look at September average temps. It's such a start different from Sept 1 to Sept 30! 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

For some reason I thought we actually hit peak max values a few days before the solstice and historically it levels off and then decreases once August starts.

On a side note one of my favorite things to do is look at September average temps. It's such a start different from Sept 1 to Sept 30! 

I'm going off of memory and not from researching it...I thought our max was between July 20th-30th but could be wrong. (though, I'm almost certain it isn't in June)

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

The only things holding the river back here is the Tuscarora State Park Dam and the Still Creek Reservoir. If it weren't for those two upstream dams, I think we'd have problems for sure.

Grew up going to Tuscarora fishing w/ my Poppop when i was a youngster  (if you dont remember, my parents were from st clair n pottsville.  Last time I was there was for a mtn bike time trial i raced in (moons ago) up off the Burma Rd??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

thats similar to what we looked like prior to the rains.  still have a few areas that arent bouncing back, and maybe burnt toast already.  Having a couple shallow rock veins below surface is really challenging when trying to keep a nice lawn.

Yea, any of those areas that look like especially brown are indeed toast.  I am in better shape on my side of the road because I have been setting out a sprinkler several nights a week.  Never thought I would need an irrigation system up here but would have been handy this year. 

26 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm going off of memory and not from researching it...I thought our max was between July 20th-30th but could be wrong. (though, I'm almost certain it isn't in June)

Eh it's not really important. All that's important is we are basically up on the backend of the heat and sledding down the hill toward much more fun weather. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We got torched last night for sure. Sorry that you missed it. 

For those wondering about the dates of the climatological peak for temps in our immediate area I'm referencing local data based on Carlisle from NCDC:

The maximum temperature is 87 degrees and is reached on July 9th and then remains 87 degrees through July 20th.  So technically tomorrow is the "peak of the peak".

As for the minimum temperature, it is 63 degrees and is first reached on July 11th and lasts all the way through August 2nd before slowly beginning its descent.

So it's still another 3 weeks until the temp really begins to decline into fall.  As for @canderson's comment regarding September the month starts off with a mean of 70 degrees and ends with a mean of 60 degrees.  October ends at 49 degrees and November ends at 39 degrees.

I usually start getting excited about cooler weather beginning around August 15th because I know it's just around the corner.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

For those wondering about the dates of the climatological peak for temps in our immediate area I'm referencing local data based on Carlisle from NCDC:

The maximum temperature is 87 degrees and is reached on July 9th and then remains 87 degrees through July 20th.  So technically tomorrow is the "peak of the peak".

As for the minimum temperature, it is 63 degrees and is first reached on July 11th and lasts all the way through August 2nd before slowly beginning its descent.

So it's still another 3 weeks until the temp really begins to decline into fall.  As for @canderson's comment regarding September the month starts off with a mean of 70 degrees and ends with a mean of 60 degrees.  October ends at 49 degrees and November ends at 39 degrees.

I usually start getting excited about cooler weather beginning around August 15th because I know it's just around the corner.

Thanks for posting that, good to know!