• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Hawkeyecr
    Newest Member
    Hawkeyecr

May Banter 2020

1 hour ago, Inverted_Trough said:

There's a COVID thread in the New England forum.  The usual suspects are over there advocating for the barbershop and tattoo parlor economy in case you guys are missing that discussion.

Thanks.  Just read the last several pages in their thread and thought it was going pretty well.  Too bad its mostly people I'm not familiar with.  Wish our sub-forum could have handled it.

I understand that those types of conversations are not for everyone, and there is no way to eliminate some political and personal biases on the topic; but its a thread that you don't have to click on if it bothers you.  I guess I just never understood calls to close threads.  Its not like they are forced upon anyone, and if they aren't getting any value by reading it anymore or are offended by the tone, then there is a simple solution for them.  But closing a thread cuts off an avenue of discussion for those who did get some value out of it.  

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Thanks.  Just read the last several pages in their thread and thought it was going pretty well.  Too bad its mostly people I'm not familiar with.  Wish our sub-forum could have handled it.

I understand that those types of conversations are not for everyone, and there is no way to eliminate some political and personal biases on the topic; but its a thread that you don't have to click on if it bothers you.  I guess I just never understood calls to close threads.  Its not like they are forced upon anyone, and if they aren't getting any value by reading it anymore or are offended by the tone, then there is a simple solution for them.  But closing a thread cuts off an avenue of discussion for those who did get some value out of it.  

Agree. I was certainly getting some value out of it and some of the information shared by others. Was a nice place to kinda discuss the virus in a smaller forum than Facebook. But alas...all it took is for a few to derail it, smh

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Agree. I was certainly getting some value out of it and some of the information shared by others. Was a nice place to kinda discuss the virus in a smaller forum than Facebook. But alas...all it took is for a few to derail it, smh

It is pretty easy to simply not engage those who you think may be "derailing" the thread. Another option is ignore. I was a big proponent of having the COVID thread- I pushed for it and Mappy agreed to start it. I only engaged occasionally, but that's because I was able to keep informed to the level I required without discussing it all day long, and frankly I have other things to occupy my time. I understand that to some it is an interesting topic worthy of investing significant time to discussion, however. Having a dedicated thread also kept it from dominating banter. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It is pretty easy to simply not engage those who you think may be "derailing" the thread. Another option is ignore. I was a big proponent of having the COVID thread- I pushed for it and Mappy agreed to start it. I only engaged occasionally, but that's because I was able to keep informed to the level I required without discussing it all day long, and frankly I have other things to occupy my time. I understand that to some it is an interesting topic worthy of investing significant time to discussion, however. Having a dedicated thread also kept it from dominating banter. 

It appears it isn't allowed in banter either, other than silly soft news like "Hogan is opening ice cream shops tomorrow!!" Oh well, ignorance is bliss, I guess.

3 hours ago, Inverted_Trough said:

There's a COVID thread in the New England forum.  The usual suspects are over there advocating for the barbershop and tattoo parlor economy in case you guys are missing that discussion.

I just went into the thread and read back 3 pages.  Its actually fairly clean with mostly useful information.  I personally don't spend more then an hour ..usually in the evenings catching up on Covid stuff. Imo if one spends countless hours looking /debating Covid news it starts to be unhealthy.  Myself ...my daily routine has been basically unchanged.  I'm still going to work so I don't have the time like some do but even if I was home more I'd limit my exposure to this stuff to maybe 1-2 hours a day  . Definitely would be outside more doing things like playing cornhole ,  working on my car , stocking up on beer ,tracking May snow etc.:D

• Like 3

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more people commenting on Hogan et. al saying that there won’t be a full return to school until Phase 3, which is tentatively estimated to be January 2021.  Maybe I’m misinterpreting it. 

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2020/05/governor-hogans-update-on-covid-19-response-go-boating-and-golfing/

EDIT: After reading the article a little closer, I see that Maryland hasn’t tied the phases to any particular date.  The tentative date of January 2021 for Phase 3 was based on a chart that was provided to the state by a professor as part of a presentation.    

12 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more people commenting on Hogan et. al saying that there won’t be a full return to school until Phase 3, which is tentatively estimated to be January 2021.  Maybe I’m misinterpreting it. 

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2020/05/governor-hogans-update-on-covid-19-response-go-boating-and-golfing/

Still wondering about daycares.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It appears it isn't allowed in banter either, other than silly soft news like "Hogan is opening ice cream shops tomorrow!!" Oh well, ignorance is bliss, I guess.

and all this time I didn't realize i was arguing with the happiest person in the world!  

• Haha 4

I got ice cream at the Keyes creamery ice cream stand in Harford county  2 weekends ago. 

It was phenomenal .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I made my beer run. Decently restocked for now.

RAR.jpg.f6e94a32a5b8bb99d971547efca0fbd8.jpg

You stop by Hair O Dog?  If so, are they doing anything different, like order ahead?  Wishing Well is doing that and makes it super easy, just drive up and they put it in your car.

8 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

4 prime time games and a thanksgiving night game against the Steelers for the Ravens, sounds fun 

My Saints open with Brees v Brady 

41 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

You stop by Hair O Dog?  If so, are they doing anything different, like order ahead?  Wishing Well is doing that and makes it super easy, just drive up and they put it in your car.

I have been there a couple times recently. You can walk in but they have the counter right at the entrance, and they go and get whatever you want. Ofc you have to know what you want lol. Town and Country is doing basically the same thing. Not sure about ordering ahead but I would assume so.

@mappy

Finally watched the Westworld finale.

Overall I was not overly impressed by the last 2 episodes. However, the after the credits scenes in the finale were pretty epic.  I hope the game gets upped a bit for next season. I was totally into this season early on- and how different it was- but then I kinda got a bit bored with the 'story line' as the season went on.

39 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

4 prime time games and a thanksgiving night game against the Steelers for the Ravens, sounds fun 

I kind of like the schedule. One difficult stretch post-bye, but otherwise manageable 

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I kind of like the schedule. One difficult stretch post-bye, but otherwise manageable 

Yeah, I mean either way, unless Lamar significantly regresses, there’s no reason why we shouldnt be a 10-11 win team and that’s minimally. I think a 12-4 season is pretty realistic 

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

4 prime time games and a thanksgiving night game against the Steelers for the Ravens, sounds 

And then Dallas the following Thursday. Back to back Thursday games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighStakes said:

And then Dallas the following Thursday. Back to back Thursday games.

Yeah, that’s interesting. If I have a job by then it may not be the best thing lol but entertaining 

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The strip club not too far from me has a sign out that says "We don't spread Corona..We serve it":lol:

Where is there a strip club up that way lol

Another COVID casualty. My kids summer swim league canceled due to the pandemic.  Got some sad kids in the house tonight

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

^In Littlestown, Pa 

I always pass it on the way to Gettysburg. Such an odd location for such an establishment considering the only other attraction in littlestown is the McDonald's. Lol.

56 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Yeah, that’s interesting. If I have a job by then it may not be the best thing lol but entertaining 

I love when they play on Thanksgiving. Perfect ending to the day as long as we win. I think this will make the 3rd time. First 2 Thanksgiving games we were home and won.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I always pass it on the way to Gettysburg. Such an odd location for such an establishment considering the only other attraction in littlestown is the McDonald's. Lol.

Don't forget the Pawn shop :D

• Like 1

I just saw Montana and Idaho kids went back to school.  I wish them luck and it's nice to see a little sparkle of normalcy trying to return in  the U.S .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

Another COVID casualty. My kids summer swim league canceled due to the pandemic.  Got some sad kids in the house tonight

Seems a bit premature to cancel a summer outdoor league. It may be the right call. But it seems like that call could have been made closer to the end of the month depending on what the Covid landscape looks like.  Sorry to hear about the kids disappointment. That sucks.