Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah cooled off nicely.  Already 21F lower than a few hours ago.  

68F and windows and doors open.  Screen sliders in the living room, dining room and bedroom cool it off real fast.

Its not a badge of honor but it’s useless to use the AC when inside temps dip into the 60s anyway.

I love the AC (we have window units). Our son is running the one in his room. I was close to installing today.  I can live another day without it tomorrow   This is the first time since I was a kid that I have enjoyed a bit of heat while working. WFH has some advantages I guess

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

pollen wafting thru the house covering everything and clogging sinuses up is not appetizing.  We clean cool filtered air, keeping us dry.

And we wonder why so many people get sick, all night in the AC, into the car AC, at work AC. Do you ever open your windows ? I live pretty deep in the woods and only had 1 bad pollen day, then the rain cleared that up. I haven't noticed my truck with pollen since. I don't know just prefer fresh air exchange until absolutely necessary to AC. Lower level of the house is 65 right now upper level 69 and it didn't cost me a penny

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah cooled off nicely.  Already 21F lower than a few hours ago.  

68F and windows and doors open.  Screen sliders in the living room, dining room and bedroom cool it off real fast.

Its not a badge of honor but it’s useless to use the AC when inside temps dip into the 60s anyway.  

Yea no badge of honor, personal preference and don't have to work a second job to pay for AC

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I love the AC (we have window units). Our son is running the one in his room. I was close to installing today.  I can live another day without it tomorrow   This is the first time since I was a kid that I have enjoyed a bit of heat while working. WFH has some advantages I guess

Yeah I’ll use ours occasionally from like 4-8pm... often by late in the evening the outdoor temps match the AC temps so we just end up opening the windows and slider doors after running the AC for the last several hours, ha.

I haven’t noticed any of this vast accumulations of pollen though that SNE seems to have.  Some make it sound like you should be shoveling it out of your bedroom in the morning if you accidentally leave a window open.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’ll use ours occasionally from like 4-8pm... often by late in the evening the outdoor temps match the AC temps so we just end up opening the windows and slider doors after running the AC for the last several hours, ha.

I haven’t noticed any of this vast accumulations of pollen though that SNE seems to have.  Some make it sound like you should be shoveling it out of your bedroom in the morning if you accidentally leave a window open.

One day with pollen on my truck when the leaves budded out but I am out on my deck now and checked the tables I wiped down after the rain Saturday and they are still clean. Some exaggerating going on. People with allergies do have an excuse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol window fans are all you need . NNE the heat spots as advertised. Upper 70s low 80s in SNE AWT

I installed this morning. I figured with all three of us working/schooling at home we should have some daytime comfort. Turned off and windows open now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

One day with pollen on my truck when the leaves budded out but I am out on my deck now and checked the tables I wiped down after the rain Saturday and they are still clean. Some exaggerating going on. People with allergies do have an excuse. 

I actually got hurt the other day partly due to pollen. I had sealed our screen porch a couple of weeks ago with Thompson’s    It came out nicely.  A few days back I was home alone and went to step onto the porch in my socks. There was a very faint coating of pollen that made the decking like an ice rink.  I went down like a ton of bricks.  I thought I broke something because I swear I heard a snap.  
just bumps and bruises it appears.  My knee and elbow are still hurtin though. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

And we wonder why so many people get sick, all night in the AC, into the car AC, at work AC. Do you ever open your windows ? I live pretty deep in the woods and only had 1 bad pollen day, then the rain cleared that up. I haven't noticed my truck with pollen since. I don't know just prefer fresh air exchange until absolutely necessary to AC. Lower level of the house is 65 right now upper level 69 and it didn't cost me a penny

For me, I’m willing to bet it’s worse for me to be breathing in the pollen. The central AC is pretty nice. Goes through a filter... can’t hear it, not blasting through a window unit. Set it and forget it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Another year or so until we invest in central air. Until then, portable units is the way. No need to struggle stuffing big clunky heavy boxes into windows and spending so much time and energy sealing it. I roll mine out of storage and have AC on in 30 seconds.

Those are so loud though. I’ve thought about them because I don’t have good ac windows in my living room. The noise is just too much though. 

Just now, mreaves said:

Those are so loud though. I’ve thought about them because I don’t have good ac windows in my living room. The noise is just too much though. 

They are also quite inefficient.  I get that in some cases it is the only way to do it.  I think Ginx has them for the dogs due to window config?   I would love to put in 3 or 4 minisplits but they are still pretty pricey

Just now, Whineminster said:

House doesn't really cool off at night because the building is still hot from the day.....never will get it to match outside temp. We AC. I grew up with no AC, just open windows and fans.  Sucked.  Felt like I was living in a favela. 

Same. My bedroom was partly below ground level which kept it cool.   But it was damp (split level ranch).  I hated that.  

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You ever heard of Pollen allergies?  Everyone in our house has them.  Our house is surrounded by trees and grass.  I prefer to not have that shit in my house.  I’m able to open my windows in vehicle as I see fit. The AC in my office was off most of the day and we did not turn it on until about 2pm when it had gotten up to 78F and that was with the windows open.  It was uncomfortable at that level.  Throw the AC on for 15-20min and the temp dropped to a comfortable level.  Sucks you’ve had a checkered history with AC.  As far as rain, I’ve had less then 1/10” in the last 10 days.  It washed away little. 

• Like 4

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I chased fake snow 2 weeks ago and took twin 7 year olds tubing down it at Cannon mountain May 9.  9” of Mid winter powder lol

We were talking about it playing golf tonight. 2 weeks ago I took the new pro on his first walk around of the course.  He’s from Florida and was a bit appalled at the snow and frigid temps. I think it was 37 with brutal winds. And today we were close to 90. Quick change. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We were talking about it playing golf tonight. 2 weeks ago I took the new pro on his first walk around of the course.  He’s from Florida and was a bit appalled at the snow and frigid temps. I think it was 37 with brutal winds. And today we were close to 90. Quick change. 

It really is amazing 

lol being from Florida he probably would have booked a flight out if he thought it was safe 

had a friend who was president of VTC In Randolph (1420’ feet :) ) and the last year was such a long winter that he left the school and moved to Florida (probably amongst a couple reasons )..maybe 2013 

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They are also quite inefficient.  I get that in some cases it is the only way to do it.  I think Ginx has them for the dogs due to window config?   I would love to put in 3 or 4 minisplits but they are still pretty pricey

No we had window units. The 2 we have are not loud? Don't know why some are. We still use a window unit in the grooming room and have one if needed for the spare room. I prefer not to use any if possible. Lower level is half underground so it's always cool. Mostly dehumidify when necessary 

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You ever heard of Pollen allergies?  Everyone in our house has them.  Our house is surrounded by trees and grass.  I prefer to not have that shit in my house.  I’m able to open my windows in vehicle as I see fit. The AC in my office was off most of the day and we did not turn it on until about 2pm when it had gotten up to 78F and that was with the windows open.  It was uncomfortable at that level.  Throw the AC on for 15-20min and the temp dropped to a comfortable level.  Sucks you’ve had a checkered history with AC.  As far as rain, I’ve had less then 1/10” in the last 10 days.  It washed away little. 

What checkered history? Lol have no clue

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

No we had window units. The 2 we have are not loud? Don't know why some are. We still use a window unit in the grooming room and have one if needed for the spare room. I prefer not to use any if possible. Lower level is half underground so it's always cool. Mostly dehumidify when necessary 

We have had units in the past that would loosen up as they aged and get loud.  The newer ones seem better

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea no badge of honor, personal preference and don't have to work a second job to pay for AC

It costs me less to run my whole house AC then it did to run 3 window units.  Costs me like $30/mo to run during the peak summer months of July-August compared to almost double that when I had the window units.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It costs me less to run my whole house AC then it did to run 3 window units.  Costs me like $30/mo to run during the peak summer months of July-August compared to almost double that when I had the window units.

Open them up

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What checkered history? Lol have no clue

You said people were getting sick?  I don’t here stories of that today. Majority of houses built today have heating and cooling and have to be designed to exchange outside air with the inside air.  No sick house syndrome like the past.