• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fishing 2020

PowderBeard

Lots more time to fish during the quarantine. Still lots of rumors and rumblings about the Quabbin opening so I've been hitting some new waters. Amazing the number of trout stocked this year in Massachusetts. Been our 5-6 times thus far and more trout than bass, and that is not on purpose. 

17 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Lots more time to fish during the quarantine. Still lots of rumors and rumblings about the Quabbin opening so I've been hitting some new waters. Amazing the number of trout stocked this year in Massachusetts. Been our 5-6 times thus far and more trout than bass, and that is not on purpose. 

FB_IMG_1587511231601.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

What have you been using to catch trout? Looks like the state stocked tons of brookies around my area within the last week or so and I want to get out on Saturday. I recently picked up one of those "trout magnet" kits and caught a rainbow, only been a few times though. 

34 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You got me there. :lol:

I have never liked any seafood.  It's weird, my parents loved all sorts of seafood and my son does too.  I wish I did like it, it would make visits to the ocean more fun.  Imagine having to be the only guy to ask for the chicken tender basket when everyone else is ordering the seafood platter!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

What have you been using to catch trout? Looks like the state stocked tons of brookies around my area within the last week or so and I want to get out on Saturday. I recently picked up one of those "trout magnet" kits and caught a rainbow, only been a few times though. 

I accidentally catch them bass fishing. I've probably caught over a couple dozen rainbows and browns this year. 

Had a 4 pound brown last week. All of them have either come on lipless cranks or blade baits yo-yoed. So if fishing in a lake with sparse cover and salad over 8' I let the bait drop to the bottom, snap it up and let it fall back down, almost all the way to the boat.

Amazon.com : Spro Aruku Shad 75 Bait-Pack of 1 by SPRO Fishing ...

Damiki Vault Blade Baits - Tackle Warehouse

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I have never liked any seafood.  It's weird, my parents loved all sorts of seafood and my son does too.  I wish I did like it, it would make visits to the ocean more fun.  Imagine having to be the only guy to ask for the chicken tender basket when everyone else is ordering the seafood platter!

I hate seafood and fish. I'm the same way. Second date with my now wife I choked sushi down thinking I was going to puke each time. I throw everything back but my wife and some other family members love it so I keep trout and salmon I find. I did try lake trout last year and it was actually pretty damn good. No fishy taste, just like the best chicken you've ever eaten.

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We have that in common.  Loathe it.  Being around it and the smells make me nauseous. 

17 hours ago, wx2fish said:

Havent taken out the boat yet, but getting the itch. I fish a few bass tournaments, but theyve all been canceled through May which is a bummer. 

Yea it is a bummer. I got burnt out tournament fishing, was doing 30+ a year at one point. Really enjoyed fishing the Bassmaster Weekend Series years ago but it was a grind (12-14 hour days on the water, hours prepping, zero sleep, driving for hours). I might get back into it again.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

28 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I accidentally catch them bass fishing. I've probably caught over a couple dozen rainbows and browns this year. 

Had a 4 pound brown last week. All of them have either come on lipless cranks or blade baits yo-yoed. So if fishing in a lake with sparse cover and salad over 8' I let the bait drop to the bottom, snap it up and let it fall back down, almost all the way to the boat.

oh, so you're basically jigging then? I'd be mostly shore fishing small rivers - Nashua, Phillips Brook, Falulah Brook.....

If i get out in my boat though I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

I would make you go eat it in the car.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Yea it is a bummer. I got burnt out tournament fishing, was doing 30+ a year at one point. Really enjoyed fishing the Bassmaster Weekend Series years ago but it was a grind (12-14 hour days on the water, hours prepping, zero sleep, driving for hours). I might get back into it again.

Yeah I love fishing them, but especially the bigger events can be brutally long days. I've been fishing mainly team tournaments the past few couple years 

Hit Lake Warner in Hatfield yesterday since the Oxbow is closed. Pretty awesome looking water. One whole shore was a river channel 5-8' deep with trees down. The opposite was 2-3' lily pad fields. Found some pretty cool old foundations and stone walls with the sidescan unit. Eight largemouth but nothing over 2.5 pounds (all came on the jig), a handful of pickerel on the swimbait, and even a 16" rainbow on the damn Ned rig.

The first warm day brings out all the stupidity. Dozens of folks out in canoes or kayaks, no care for social distancing around the boat ramp or that Mass requires life jackets until May 1 given cold water temps. At one point I'm fishing a jig 20' from shore and two yakers (who have hundreds of feet to go behind me) tried to cut between the boat and shore. 

4 hours ago, larvay said:

I find the (second) photograph even more impressive than the fish.

Mom thought it was pretty funny as did the rest of the family. I could not get a picture of me with it for size so had to improvise. She is almost 9 months old for reference and about 18 pounds. Conservative guess was the bass is 8.5-9 lbs. I compared my measurements of it to a friend who just got a certified 9-2 largemouth (his was 22" long and had a girth of 19") and he insists its >10 but I don't think so. 

32 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Mom thought it was pretty funny as did the rest of the family. I could not get a picture of me with it for size so had to improvise. She is almost 9 months old for reference and about 18 pounds. Conservative guess was the bass is 8.5-9 lbs. I compared my measurements of it to a friend who just got a certified 9-2 largemouth (his was 22" long and had a girth of 19") and he insists its >10 but I don't think so. 

22" and 9+ pounds - that's a really fat fish!  (Though the estimator equation - length*girth*girth divided by 800 - works out to 9.9 lb.)  Many years ago (the year Lauri Rapala's lures became widely available in the US) I caught a non-skinny 22" largemouth that weighed 5 1/8 pounds from the nearby NNJ lake.