Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

we saw this coming last month and bought into a CSA for chickens throughout the summer. and last week we bought half a pig from a local farm.

Good thinking.  My brother has a big freezer in his basement and does something similar.  He's gone to a local butcher (in the Cleveland area) who sells stuff in bulk or large quantities, pre-cut.  So for instance he can get fillets or chicken breasts and the like for relatively cheaper than you'd buy in the store, but he buys a lot of them.  He vacuum packs and freezes that, and it keeps quite awhile in that freezer.

1 minute ago, wxtrix said:

the smaller, local processing plants will most likely stay open, but the danger is that the chicken and pig farmers are going to kill the animals they would normally send to the large processing plants and the only supply will be from animals going to those smaller processors.  it's unclear and probably unlikely that they will be able to keep up with national demand during the time the large processing plants are down.

That would be unfortunate. Supply chain is all kinked up.

I'll buy extra chicken just in case.

Not sure if this was posted today but it is an interesting site. It shows the various nursing/assisted living facilities that have cases/deaths and actually lists it by facility too.

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/pages/hcf-resources

One in my county, Anne Arundel, has 13 deaths! 

Not enough coverage is being done on what is happening in these facilities. Hopefully this will give them more of a spotlight.

28 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Not sure if this was posted today but it is an interesting site. It shows the various nursing/assisted living facilities that have cases/deaths and actually lists it by facility too.

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/pages/hcf-resources

One in my county, Anne Arundel, has 13 deaths! 

Not enough coverage is being done on what is happening in these facilities. Hopefully this will give them more of a spotlight.

I don't think people understand how nefarious this virus is.  As things open back up, people need to keep their guard up and continue extra measures for disinfectant and sanitizing surfaces.  Because if this gets in your office/facility/whatever, it runs through fast. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I don't think people understand how nefarious this virus is.  As things open back up, people need to keep their guard up and continue extra measures for disinfectant and sanitizing surfaces.  Because if this gets in your office/facility/whatever, it runs through fast. 

I work for FedEx. I work in a facility with 150 trucks and almost 200 employees. It's a huge wearhouse with major airflow and we try to stay away from each other. I rock a N95 mask with a nylon skin over it to pull it extra tight and seal it up. Once I'm out on the road it's multiple pairs of gloves. 99% Isopropyl is what I use for disinfectant. I love the stuff. 

• Like 4

On 4/26/2020 at 11:03 PM, Maestrobjwa said:

*crazy breathing* WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?? *pant pant*

Back in 2018, there was plenty of sanitizer. I got the flu that January, probably from stayin out too long during a particularly long jebwalk, in 8 degree weather. So, I panicked and bought plenty of sanitizer! Now I have some but I am still trying to find more!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I work for FedEx. I work in a facility with 150 trucks and almost 200 employees. It's a huge wearhouse with major airflow and we try to stay away from each other. I rock a N95 mask with a nylon skin over it to pull it extra tight and seal it up. Once I'm out on the road it's multiple pairs of gloves. 99% Isopropyl is what I use for disinfectant. I love the stuff. 

Too damn bad I cant find isopropyl alcohol anywhere in Central TX. I probably wont, for years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Anyone read the recent interviews of Dr. Scott Atlas from Stanford? Interesting perspective. 

Just took a look.  The only thing I wondered about is he says we have to stop making policy decisions based on hypotheticals.  Seems to me like the 60,000 deaths the model was predicting are no longer hypothetical.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Just took a look.  The only thing I wondered about is he says we have to stop making policy decisions based on hypotheticals.  Seems to me like the 60,000 deaths the model was predicting are no longer hypothetical.  

My take re what he was saying was if you discount the 70 and older fatalities most of whom don't work anyway then policy decisions should be adjusted. Anyway seems more doctors are coming around a bit on this subject.

Just now, wxtrix said:

i’m pretty good at telling truth from fiction.

Atlas has zero expertise in any medical field related to infectious disease or public health.

he’s spent the last 8 years at a conservative political think tank, not working in any kind of public health capacity.

he’s heavily touting an antibody study that the actual experts has discounted.

his campaign has been targeted solely to right wing political outlets.

his suggestions would kill thousands, if not millions, of Americans which is completely at odds with the Hippocratic Oath.

In your opinion. 

He's literally not an expert in this area. He would not be qualified under Daubert or any state equivalent to Daubert as an expert. His opinions are worthless if they are being cited as expert opinions for areas not in his field. As such, who he is peddling his opinions to is absolutely worth examining. Which Trixie capably did.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

My take re what he was saying was if you discount the 70 and older fatalities most of whom don't work anyway then policy decisions should be adjusted. Anyway seems more doctors are coming around a bit on this subject.

Soon when things are open I think older or susceptible people will still be encouraged to stay home.  They will likely do this on their own and probably still only go out for essentials.  The harder decision will be once more things are open and their families have been out and about and they have to decide whether or not to go visit the grandkids.  

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

He's literally not an expert in this area. He would not be qualified under Daubert or any state equivalent to Daubert as an expert. His opinions are worthless if they are being cited as expert opinions for areas not in his field.

In your opinion. :P 

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

This is true. Although it is a bit of an informed one, as finding experts who will pass Daubert (or Frye-Reed here in Maryland) and be able to offer opinion testimony in court is something I am REALLY familiar with, professionally speaking and what not.

ha, i was just giving you a hard time. thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Soon when things are open I think older or susceptible people will still be encouraged to stay home.  They will likely do this on their own and probably still only go out for essentials.  The harder decision will be once more things are open and their families have been out and about and they have to decide whether or not to go visit the grandkids.  

The idea that we can segregate society into susceptibles and not susceptibles and adequately care for the susceptibles is ridiculous to me. In states opening right now, people with heart conditions and high blood pressure and asthma are being told that they have to come into work or will be removed from unemployment as a voluntary quit.

6 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

The idea that we can segregate society into susceptibles and not susceptibles and adequately care for the susceptibles is ridiculous to me. In states opening right now, people with heart conditions and high blood pressure and asthma are being told that they have to come into work or will be removed from unemployment as a voluntary quit.

Sources?

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic