Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,116
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    SCseminole
    Newest Member
    SCseminole
    Joined

Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..


 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

The craziest thing about this is that half the hospitalized are vaxd, which means this will literally never end.

 

image.thumb.png.35ced1501d4898f98759ae0ed8c1710b.png

So what's the answer?  Are they doing research to make the vaccine more effective?  Is the booster now the thing that will tip the scales?  I got vaccinated and will take the booster when my time comes but I'm not feeling too great about it right now.  I hope to God we don't have shutdowns again like they're having in Germany and Austria.  We can't keep turning the light switch on and off.  It's terrible for society.  We just have to deal with this smartly, take the precautions and move on with our lives.  I feel awful for anyone who becomes seriously ill or dies but this clearly isn't going away, at least not right now.  I read about the Spanish Flu and during that pandemic, there will still flareups about two years after it began before things finally abated.  Might be a rough winter but hopefully things improve afterwards.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, the boosters were not 'tuned' for Delta. They are basically the same as the first doses. However, I read some of the data and it appears that a 'boost', especially for those with weaker immune responses to the original vaccines, can bring the efficacy back up into the 80s% range for Delta.

Think about this for a moment, there is some good news about the Delta variant. Because it's so contagious, it's taken over 95+% of the new cases. It would take an even more contagious version to overtake it OR a variant that is majorly resistant to the current vax - BOTH of these scenarios can be prevented by getting every available vaccine to large 3rd world populations to prevent the India-level event that spawned Delta (I don't particularly like the WHO, but they are absolutely right about this one). Every wealthy country should be flying BUS LOADS of vaccines to these areas EVERY DAY.

If all stays status quo in the world, Delta will burn out and COVID 19 will finally be behind us by end of mid-Spring (my guess).

Can I get an AMEN? ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Unfortunately, the boosters were not 'tuned' for Delta. They are basically the same as the first doses. However, I read some of the data and it appears that a 'boost', especially for those with weaker immune responses to the original vaccines, can bring the efficacy back up into the 80s% range for Delta.

Think about this for a moment, there is some good news about the Delta variant. Because it's so contagious, it's taken over 95+% of the new cases. It would take an even more contagious version to overtake it OR a variant that is majorly resistant to the current vax - BOTH of these scenarios can be prevented by getting every available vaccine to large 3rd world populations to prevent the India-level event that spawned Delta (I don't particularly like the WHO, but they are absolutely right about this one). Every wealthy country should be flying BUS LOADS of vaccines to these areas EVERY DAY.

If all stays status quo in the world, Delta will burn out and COVID 19 will finally be behind us by end of mid-Spring (my guess).

Can I get an AMEN? ;)

I feel like that scenario is most likely than unlikely. Literally impossible to get everyone vaccinated to quickly. Another strain like Delta is definitely possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Unfortunately, the boosters were not 'tuned' for Delta. They are basically the same as the first doses. However, I read some of the data and it appears that a 'boost', especially for those with weaker immune responses to the original vaccines, can bring the efficacy back up into the 80s% range for Delta.

Think about this for a moment, there is some good news about the Delta variant. Because it's so contagious, it's taken over 95+% of the new cases. It would take an even more contagious version to overtake it OR a variant that is majorly resistant to the current vax - BOTH of these scenarios can be prevented by getting every available vaccine to large 3rd world populations to prevent the India-level event that spawned Delta (I don't particularly like the WHO, but they are absolutely right about this one). Every wealthy country should be flying BUS LOADS of vaccines to these areas EVERY DAY.

If all stays status quo in the world, Delta will burn out and COVID 19 will finally be behind us by end of mid-Spring (my guess).

Can I get an AMEN? ;)

I love your optimism and I hope it goes this way but I have my doubts.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone get the booster yet? Any side effects?

I had it last week.

Minor stiff neck and sore arm.

Which was fine with me because the second dose of Moderna  had made me feel miserable for 24 hours with fatigue and body aches and a fever.

For Moderna at least I think the half dose makes it easier.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

If we see another strand like Delta we are screwed. Delta makes up like 98% of cases and is way more transmissible. 

Have to see if anything comes of this “Nu” variant.  Apparently it is believed this strain could have resistance to the vaccine antibody response.  

6257DC9C-12BC-4545-B0D2-CD16242C8AC3.jpeg

6C9938C9-9C53-4CAC-9FF6-2BED185DD7E2.png

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Bills had a solid game, really going to suck if we lose White. Looked like an ACL issue. Going to need him against the Pats and Bucs.

 

I'm not sure that game told use much about the Bills.

The Saints are so depleted by injuries, that are nothing like the Saints team that took the field week 1.  I don't know if that Saints team could beat the Jets right now.

The White injury could be the biggest thing that happened last night.

Next week is what it's all about:  The Patriots!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm fully vaccinated and I've contemplated getting the booster shot. Haven't gotten it yet. Might, might not, I just haven't made that decision.

I am tired of the mask mandates and lockdowns overseas. At this point, we should be able to go out in public at our own discretion. It's fatal to keep dragging this out. The lockdowns have done nothing to help at this point. Time to let people do what they want. Can't control it. I'd rather take risks and not continue to allow the government to restrict personal freedom.

What limits are you experiencing?

Honest question.

I go wherever I want, whenever I want.  I can mask if I want, and not mask when I want.  Except for work where I am stuck with a mask (healthcare).

My life is pretty normal and has been for over a year.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

 

I'm not sure that game told use much about the Bills.

The Saints are so depleted by injuries, that are nothing like the Saints team that took the field week 1.  I don't know if that Saints team could beat the Jets right now.

The White injury could be the biggest thing that happened last night.

Next week is what it's all about:  The Patriots!

 

I hate the pats over any professional sports franchise. I'll be at the game and I think we lose quiet handily. That team is perfectly matched for us. They are very similar to the Colts with a better defense. I don't see a way we win it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

What limits are you experiencing?

Honest question.

I go wherever I want, whenever I want.  I can mask if I want, and not mask when I want.  Except for work where I am stuck with a mask (healthcare).

My life is pretty normal and has been for over a year.

 

Same here. I haven't got the booster yet but will fairly soon.  It was "interesting" when i was in Europe last month. A lot of mask wearing but only required on public transport.  Restaurants and bars mostly required proof of vax in Amsterdam and Berlin but not in Belgium or outlying areas. The masks were of course annoying but pretty high compliance rate from what I saw.  

Plane rides were more sucky due to the length of wearing a mask but I didn't mind as much remembering that I had a nasty illness for 3 weeks as soon as I got back from Europe back in November 2019.  No issues this time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't see the proof of vaccination in stage 2 going through. The federal mandate already got delayed in court. 

There were 2 separate mandates. The OSHA-related one is delayed in court. The other one addressing federal workers & contractors is still effective. The company that I work for has decided to comply as they have contracts with the govt to supply electrical services...so we've been "requested" to upload our covid vax proof.  Not a big fan of this for a few reasons but I knuckled under like a good slapped ass. ;)

It buys us nothing though as the company put back in place "restaurant rules" for mask wearing in-office.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Syrmax said:

There were 2 separate mandates. The OSHA-related one is delayed in court. The other one addressing federal workers & contractors is still effective. The company that I work for has decided to comply as they have contracts with the govt to supply electrical services...so we've been "requested" to upload our covid vax proof.  Not a big fan of this for a few reasons but I knuckled under like a good slapped ass. ;)

One of my good friends works at Moog and has a great job but is the most antivax guy in the world. Is that mandate still in tact? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

One of my good friends works at Moog and has a great job but is the most antivax guy in the world. Is that mandate still in tact? 

The one for Federal contractors and employees is still effective.  If the company does not consider themselves to be Fed contractors in some way then no mandate applies as of now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

The one for Federal contractors and employees is still effective.  If the company does not consider themselves to be Fed contractors in some way then no mandate applies as of now.

I think Moog gets 95% of their business from federal contracts, they are a weapons/aircraft manufacture. He's an idiot if he leaves that job, makes like 100k with unlimited vacation time and works 6-2 monday-friday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think Moog gets 95% of their business from federal contracts, they are a weapons/aircraft manufacture. 

Interesting decision to be made. I was surprised that my company decided this as we just supply electrical to various entities that are govt related. I suspect the lawyers defaulted to a conservative decision to avoid future haggling.  Moog would seem to fit in the same category but I think the definition of what constitutes being a federal contractor may be open to interpretation...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cny rider said:

What limits are you experiencing?

Honest question.

I go wherever I want, whenever I want.  I can mask if I want, and not mask when I want.  Except for work where I am stuck with a mask (healthcare).

My life is pretty normal and has been for over a year.

 

I like this post, and I agree about most of my life being normal, minus a mask in some places.  But there is one thing that is still driving me crazy.  School BS rules.  It appears that it is up to the individual school, but a lot of schools will have limited spectators for winter sports.  I've heard from one school with no limits (just wear masks), our school only allowing 2 or 4 (not decided yet) spectators per player to another school allowing only "home" spectators.  Why the different rules based on how afraid the superintendent is afraid of COVID?  From what I hear the DOH is setting no limits.  So 20,000 can watch the Nets or Knicks, but most of my family can't watch my kids!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Constantly putting citizens in a state of anxiety... they're awful.

It's best for everyone to stop watching the news..

This right here is the key, especially with it causing you anxiety.

Decide how much you want to consume and stick to it.  For me it's an hour two in the morning reading newspapers online and Bloomberg. 

After that, I don't pay attention.  

Find better things to do and don't let it get to you.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Rjay locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...