• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fujiwara79
    Newest Member
    fujiwara79

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

That's what I'm thinking too. When I was doing research on where to go I thought it looked good and then someone here suggesting it made me feel more confident

Yeah, you can see how I do in these events (check out my profile.) Roan is to my northeast a county over and its the only bald higher in elevation on the border than mine. Slight changes in wind vector make huge differences with these flows, so like Met said just keep checking this page. We have some really knowledgable folks in here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I slipped on ice on my deck this morning. I am currently over May. Frosted at my house this morning... 2200’ and a mile from the French Broad. My thermometer said 31.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hvward said:

I slipped on ice on my deck this morning. I am currently over May. Frosted at my house this morning... 2200’ and a mile from the French Broad. My thermometer said 31.

Since the first of April it seems like everything has been backwards. 

It reached 33F this morning at the house in Maggie. I will not be surprised to see a mix of some snow and rain tomorrow evening at 3500 feet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maggie Ace said:

It reached 33F this morning at the house in Maggie. I will not be surprised to see a mix of some snow and rain tomorrow evening at 3500 feet.

Yeah especially around midnight things should start to really mix in. Speaking of we are already down to 38 degrees.

No frost here on our wooded place when I left around 7ish, just dew, but looked like a light frost once I got down just a little lower in elevation and I the more open areas at the orchard and rest area on 74.   Think we bottomed out around 35, I really need a weather station vs looking readings on the closest one on wundeground. Low 40’s now, would like to see some surprise mixing for my side of the Plotts and this elevation tomorrow night if possible just so I can say I’ve seen flakes fly in May with my own eyes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

No frost here on our wooded place when I left around 7ish, just dew, but looked like a light frost once I got down just a little lower in elevation and I the more open areas at the orchard and rest area on 74.   Think we bottomed out around 35, I really need a weather station vs looking readings on the closest one on wundeground. Low 40’s now, would like to see some surprise mixing for my side of the Plotts and this elevation tomorrow night if possible just so I can say I’ve seen flakes fly in May with my own eyes.

Yeah at least get a simple thermometer for around the house that tells the daily highs and lows.

NWS calling for a low of 42 here tonight but its already 38. I'm guessing it will warm up as clouds move in but could be frost beforehand. 

9 hours ago, Hvward said:

This spring we are getting 2.5 months of March and last fall we got 2.5 months of August; these transition seasons have been failing on the transition part.

• Like 1

I was thinking of headed up to Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap overnight. Thoughts on that being worthwhile?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

I was thinking of headed up to Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap overnight. Thoughts on that being worthwhile?

I'll be waking up EARLY to try to get there for the sunrise. Looks to be a good spot at the moment. I'd love to camp but I know there's no way I can talk my girlfriend into that...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Absolutely for this time of the year. Maybe a quick few inches.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Absolutely for this time of the year. Maybe a quick few inches.

Yeah it will be a heck of a trip with no sleep but might be worth catching one of the latest snows on record in NC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WintersNotComing said:

I'll be waking up EARLY to try to get there for the sunrise. Looks to be a good spot at the moment. I'd love to camp but I know there's no way I can talk my girlfriend into that...

I love it when WintersNotComing is coming to where winterwillnotgoaway.  You and Eyewall have a great trip and have fun!  I will be sitting this one out by the wood-stove this evening.

• Like 3

FYI, I (WintersNotComing) made a new account under this name to match my account on SouthernWx (and because GoT ended so poorly), so any updates on the snow chase will now be under this account

• Like 1

32/24 and snowing on top of Mitchell already. It's coming. Wish I had chased. I think someone will get 3 inches +. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WintersNotComing said:

That is our plan as well. Hope to see you there.

• Like 2

That is our plan as well. Hope to see you there.
Good luck guys. I'll be hanging around grandfather since I gotta be at work by noon. Maybe head down to little lost Cove cliffs real early and try to get some shots of grandfather covered in snow above the new leaves and blooming azaleas.
  • Like 2

Buckethead and I have been trying to get a webcam up at the Country Club in Wolf Laurel. I have the whole setup, just need a commitment. Would be a moving 4-5 view 1080HD camera that operates year round. Going to send some follow up emails about that, seemed that it had really good potential at one point in time.

• Like 3

Buckethead and I have been trying to get a webcam up at the Country Club in Wolf Laurel. I have the whole setup, just need a commitment. Would be a moving 4-5 view 1080HD camera that operates year round. Going to send some follow up emails about that, seemed that it had really good potential at one point in time.
Do it man, I talked to Bobby about that Tuesday. I'll pm you in a few.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3