• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ISeekSnow
    Newest Member
    ISeekSnow

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

3 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Robert really harped on drought coming this summer for many areas but it just isn't happening. We already had almost 3 months worth of rain the past week and probably another inch or two this week coming up. 

I'm also seeing signs of another tropical disturbance near Florida/Gulf of Mexico later in the week which could really create some issues 

Yeah a lot of places are literally over 12 inches in surplus for precipitation already this year. That's not counting the huge surplus from last year. 

Good to see folks out and about in Maggie. It's starting to feel somewhat "normal" and we had a brief break from the rain! Happy Memorial Day Mountain folk!

• Like 2

Another unsettled week ahead. Trust me, I’m not wishing for a drought, but piecing together 1 or maybe two days in a row without rain would be awesome :wacko:

• Like 3

Just curious, do you mountain guys ever use, or even have a/c? I have a shaded house, do the windows open at night/closed in the day dance and usually make it to about this time to ever turn mine on. I didn't turn it on last year until that hot last week of May and haven't used it yet this year, and it doesn't look like ill need it through mid June at least. Most years I wait until June or later. You mtn peeps are usually anywhere from 5- 20 degrees cooler than me so...  

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Just curious, do you mountain guys ever use, or even have a/c? I have a shaded house, do the windows open at night/closed in the day dance and usually make it to about this time to ever turn mine on. I didn't turn it on last year until that hot last week of May and haven't used it yet this year, and it doesn't look like ill need it through mid June at least. Most years I wait until June or later. You mtn peeps are usually anywhere from 5- 20 degrees cooler than me so...  

We have a heating and cooling system but its more to help with the humidity than anything.  

I don't have central air. I do have a portable AC for my bedroom at night and a few dehumidifiers though. Humidity is the issue here, not heat. In the 3 years I've lived above 4000' it's never reached 80 at my house.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

I don't have central air. I do have a portable AC for my bedroom at night and a few dehumidifiers though. Humidity is the issue here, not heat. In the 3 years I've lived above 4000' it's never reached 80 at my house.

Man, that's my dream!

Ever go back to visit Cola in the summer?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Looking at the EURO and the GFS, it looks unsettled and another decent cool shot down the road.

I had wanted to do some back country camping now that the USFS is allowing it in many places but ain't going in the rain.  Looks like the 2.5 months of March we had has also resulted in an extended monsoon season. 

• Like 1

This week is looking more and more like last week here minus the heavy rain. I doubt we see the sun until Thursday..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

This week is looking more and more like last week here minus the heavy rain. I doubt we see the sun until Thursday..

Yeah things look very unsettled for this week at least.  It will be much warmer though.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah things look very unsettled for this week at least.  It will be much warmer though.

Somewhat warmer here. Probably won't get out of the 60s a few days near the Blue Ridge. Euro hinting that the little swirl near Florida moves up this way and actually drops 3 to 4 inches of rain on the escarpment middle of this week.. Other models mostly have it near the piedmont and less defined. 

qpf_acc.us_ma (13).png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

It’s all about humidity control.  Even though upper 50s to mid 60s can be prevalent the dew points can remain high. 

A separate dehumidifier in the system can help

• Like 1

South Toe was ripping today, would have been a good time to kayak. Wading was difficult 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

The weather has been picture perfect the past few days. Drying out has been really nice.

Yeah the past three day have been absolutely beautiful! Highs 65 to 75 and lows in the 40s. I see no real heat wave and a pattern that will keep the gardens watered. 

• Like 2

Got a pretty cool shot of an overshooting top with some bolts over near Greensboro last night. Saw some other stuff too...no clue what as to what it was though.

Loved that first shot, in particular. The yellow flowers with the storm in the distance made for a nice contrast.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sw NC weather said:

Looks like we’re heading towards a cooler and wet pattern next week.

I believe this is what Met1985 was alluding to in is comment about the Euro 10 days ago.  The models have accurately sniffed out the cut-off lows well in advance in recent months.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sw NC weather said:

Looks like we’re heading towards a cooler and wet pattern next week.

3 hours ago, Moonhowl said:

I believe this is what Met1985 was alluding to in is comment about the Euro 10 days ago.  The models have accurately sniffed out the cut-off lows well in advance in recent months.

Yeah fellas enjoy this current weather! The past few days have been amazing.  Highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s with a low of 45 this morning! Tomorrow we start seeing better chances of rain and cooler temps will prevail through the week.

• Like 1

The models continue to show a very cool and unsettling pattern this week. Enjoy the well below normal temps with periods of rainfall. We are seeing rainfall this morning already with a low of 48 degrees. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Just had an intense storm move through with severe warnings just to the west of me. dec184bd49e56f3590f0877a8a7b256b.jpg

Yeah I was in Waynesville and we got hammered there. Raining hard again and a big cool down with the rain