Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

Met1985

12 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Models hinting at another pretty strong trough and cold shot late next week. Euro has more high elevation snow and could be more widespread frost. 

Yes, the east cost trough returns; when this happens in May I always start reminiscing about May 1992, first time I ever went cross country skiing; found this in the Los Angeles Times of all places:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-10-mn-2323-story.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Yes, the east cost trough returns; when this happens in May I always start reminiscing about May 1992, first time I ever went cross country skiing; found this in the Los Angeles Times of all places:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-10-mn-2323-story.html

Yeah I was thinking of the same storm. Crazy how that happened.  Even snowing in the valley.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Well so the long range GFS even brings May snow showers to the valleys next Saturday night. Seriously WTF, I want to plant my tomatoes...

I hear you.  I am just across the mountain from you in TRI, and I feel your pain.  That is a really ugly look next weekend.  I have a small hoop house.  May have to rig up a heater if those temps verify.  Can you imagine the tree foliage with long duration temps in the 20s(teens at higher elevation)?  GEM has temps fairly cold as well now - trended colder this run.  Those are all time record lows(for the month of May) being challenged on both of those models for TRI.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Spent the afternoon on the North Toe river fishing. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I was on South Toe this morning haha. I have used a 12 foot Field and Stream Eagle Talon from Dicks Sporting goods and it does well on the lakes and would do fine in class 1 and 2 water. Anything more than that would be tricky 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

Spent the afternoon on the North Toe river fishing. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Looking for recommendations.

I was on Santeetlah today and lost what would have been a new personal best smallie.  Otherwise it kicked my butt outside of a few small largemouth I caught.   For a river kayak, can’t go wrong with a Jackson Coosa or Native Slayer XC but they are both over $1k.  Usually can find used Coosa’s for a decent price.  All depends on what your budget is.  I’ve had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Jackson Kilroy.  Both good , all-around kayaks when it came to different water types.  My next one is gonna be a Slayer XC since I’ll be fishing moving water in it more than anything else up here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

I was on Santeetlah today and lost what would have been a new personal best smallie.  Otherwise it kicked my butt outside of a few small largemouth I caught.   For a river kayak, can’t go wrong with a Jackson Coosa or Native Slayer XC but they are both over $1k.  Usually can find used Coosa’s for a decent price.  All depends on what your budget is.  I’ve had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Jackson Kilroy.  Both good , all-around kayaks when it came to different water types.  My next one is gonna be a Slayer XC since I’ll be fishing moving water in it more than anything else up here.

That sucks, but you had better luck than me.  I just had a few decent bream and one small trout.  

Anyone else watching that MCS in Tennessee? If it holds together, it could surprise some people overnight.
I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Maybe some sprites if you can keep a view above the clouds. Satellite not looking particularly optimistic though with the overcast expanding rapidly east.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GoAPPS said:

Anyone else watching that MCS in Tennessee? If it holds together, it could surprise some people overnight.

46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

18 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:
46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Maybe some sprites if you can keep a view above the clouds. Satellite not looking particularly optimistic though with the overcast expanding rapidly east.

Yeah GSP just mentioned this line coming through saying it should weaken by the time it gets into the mountains. I agree the way its coming in I think the mountains will chew it up pretty rapidly other than just some rumbles and some heavy rainfall...