Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,972
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    UHF120HzWave
    Newest Member
    UHF120HzWave
    Joined

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.


Met1985
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yea this is crazy, im already over 37 for the year. I bet some mtn locations are nearing or over 50 already. 

Yeah the SW mountains im sure have been hit hard with rainfall this season and it just continues.  I heard some calling for hot and dry conditions going into March and it has been anything but that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Models hinting at another pretty strong trough and cold shot late next week. Euro has more high elevation snow and could be more widespread frost. 

Yes, the east cost trough returns; when this happens in May I always start reminiscing about May 1992, first time I ever went cross country skiing; found this in the Los Angeles Times of all places:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-10-mn-2323-story.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Yes, the east cost trough returns; when this happens in May I always start reminiscing about May 1992, first time I ever went cross country skiing; found this in the Los Angeles Times of all places:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-10-mn-2323-story.html

 

Yeah I was thinking of the same storm. Crazy how that happened.  Even snowing in the valley.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Well so the long range GFS even brings May snow showers to the valleys next Saturday night. Seriously WTF, I want to plant my tomatoes...

I hear you.  I am just across the mountain from you in TRI, and I feel your pain.  That is a really ugly look next weekend.  I have a small hoop house.  May have to rig up a heater if those temps verify.  Can you imagine the tree foliage with long duration temps in the 20s(teens at higher elevation)?  GEM has temps fairly cold as well now - trended colder this run.  Those are all time record lows(for the month of May) being challenged on both of those models for TRI.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Spent the afternoon on the North Toe river fishing. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

I was on South Toe this morning haha. I have used a 12 foot Field and Stream Eagle Talon from Dicks Sporting goods and it does well on the lakes and would do fine in class 1 and 2 water. Anything more than that would be tricky 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

Spent the afternoon on the North Toe river fishing. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

I was on Santeetlah today and lost what would have been a new personal best smallie.  Otherwise it kicked my butt outside of a few small largemouth I caught.   For a river kayak, can’t go wrong with a Jackson Coosa or Native Slayer XC but they are both over $1k.  Usually can find used Coosa’s for a decent price.  All depends on what your budget is.  I’ve had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Jackson Kilroy.  Both good , all-around kayaks when it came to different water types.  My next one is gonna be a Slayer XC since I’ll be fishing moving water in it more than anything else up here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

I was on Santeetlah today and lost what would have been a new personal best smallie.  Otherwise it kicked my butt outside of a few small largemouth I caught.   For a river kayak, can’t go wrong with a Jackson Coosa or Native Slayer XC but they are both over $1k.  Usually can find used Coosa’s for a decent price.  All depends on what your budget is.  I’ve had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Jackson Kilroy.  Both good , all-around kayaks when it came to different water types.  My next one is gonna be a Slayer XC since I’ll be fishing moving water in it more than anything else up here.

That sucks, but you had better luck than me.  I just had a few decent bream and one small trout.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else watching that MCS in Tennessee? If it holds together, it could surprise some people overnight.
I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Maybe some sprites if you can keep a view above the clouds. Satellite not looking particularly optimistic though with the overcast expanding rapidly east.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoAPPS said:

Anyone else watching that MCS in Tennessee? If it holds together, it could surprise some people overnight.

 

46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

 

18 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:
46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:
I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

Maybe some sprites if you can keep a view above the clouds. Satellite not looking particularly optimistic though with the overcast expanding rapidly east.

Yeah GSP just mentioned this line coming through saying it should weaken by the time it gets into the mountains. I agree the way its coming in I think the mountains will chew it up pretty rapidly other than just some rumbles and some heavy rainfall...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...