• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheNiño
    Newest Member
    TheNiño

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

It's been raining here almost nonstop since noon. I'd gladly trade.
Normally I'd take the dry weather, but its actually getting too dry. The top of my mountain has an abundant supply of two things: dry grass and campers on the AT making illegal fires.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Was nice to finally get a tiny bit of rain yesterday which contributed to the inversion valley fog this morning.  Attached a few pictures from a sunrise bicycle ride on the Parkway this morning:

Parkway1 20200724_061740.jpg

Parkway2 20200724_061740.jpg

• Like 2

So I start out this morning at 0729 with a lightning strike that took out my modem and router and knocked out power and knocked down two 80' chestnuts.

That was probably the most intense electrical storm I've seen up here. The hailstorm we had last month was tamer than this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

So I start out this morning at 0729 with a lightning strike that took out my modem and router and knocked out power and knocked down two 80' chestnuts.

That was probably the most intense electrical storm I've seen up here. The hailstorm we had last month was tamer than this.

Holy cow, I had no idea there were storms in the area until I looked at the radar at about 10:30 am (I took the pictures at 6:51 am).  The power of storms is always fascinating to see but the damage sucks. 

Have since had some light rain here but nothing like what you had.

• Like 1

3 hours later and its still raining. We need a full week to dry out. The garden is suffering because its been way too wet here.
Totally different situation here. I'm back to storms all around but zero rain at the house. That's summertime for ya.

We've kinda been the Goldilocks just right amount here. About 2 inches the past 7 or 8 days. Nothing too excessive but certainly not dry. .25 here, .75 there. 

Streams looking healthy again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Totally different situation here. I'm back to storms all around but zero rain at the house. That's summertime for ya.

Man I wish we could catch a break here. The funny thing is that they blow up right over us and then just rain itself out. The ground is so saturated its ridiculous.  Like I said the garden is suffering. 

Just now, wncsnow said:

We've kinda been the Goldilocks just right amount here. About 2 inches the past 7 or 8 days. Nothing too excessive but certainly not dry. .25 here, .75 there. 

Streams looking healthy again. 

Yeah thats not bad. These microclimates in the summer are just as fascinating as in the winter. I feel like we are borderline rainforest climate here the past 3 or 4 years.

23 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah thats not bad. These microclimates in the summer are just as fascinating as in the winter. I feel like we are borderline rainforest climate here the past 3 or 4 years.

For sure. Some places on the Blue Ridge near Mt Mitchell have had 7 to 8 inches the past week or so. Storms have been popping in the same locations over and over. 

• Like 1

I passed the 50 inch mark for rainfall so far this year, it seems as if I’m getting rain everyday. Although till today everything had been less then a quarter inch for the past week.

• Like 1

Even though MBY went through a dry stretch there were still storms in the area.  Sans just a few days, there has been at least the threat of rain everyday throughout the entire summer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Some big storms rolling through this afternoon. Very heavy rainfall with them.

Biggest storm of the year here. Severe with strong winds and small hail. Still rocking and rolling too. We have had over 2 inches the past 36 hours now. 

• Like 3