• Member Statistics

    16,048
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Catacol
    Newest Member
    Catacol
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
George BM

March Banter 2020

Recommended Posts

Just now, supernovasky said:

This should finally shut down all daycares across the state. Some were STILL open.

Some daycares are getting waivers if they provide daycare to essential employees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ok now hear me out. 

1. Trillions of tons of dry ice fired into the 850-925mb column.

2. Establish a trade deal with Canada to import snow to cool off surface temps. 

Let it snow. :snowing:

WxWatcher007 2020 - In Weenie We Trust

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

WxWatcher007 2020 - In Weenie We Trust

But he's the Reaper.  Can't be a Weenie.  Conflict of interest, right?!?! :D  I'm sure he'll get his high-powered Panic Room lawyers on that right away...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PDIII said:

Jerry Falwell seems to be the only one with any sense in this situation

I hope you are being facetious, but I have a strong feeling you aren't. If the latter is true, please seek help.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

This should finally shut down all daycares across the state. Some were STILL open.

My young nephew has been working at a daycare. His dad told him today that he’s not to go in anymore.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ok now hear me out. 

1. Trillions of tons of dry ice fired into the 850-925mb column.

2. Establish a trade deal with Canada to import snow to cool off surface temps. 

Let it snow. :snowing:

How can I run for office and top that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

How can I run for office and top that?  

Guarantee and deliver a HECS and I’ll name my firstborn after you. That’s how bad it’s gotten around here. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I hope you are being facetious, but I have a strong feeling you aren't. If the latter is true, please seek help.

I am not being facetious at all.. people need to get sick to fight this virus.. it is the only way.  The virus will stop spreading when people build up the necessary immunities.  And this happens in schools.  Shutting down schools was probably the worst thing we could have done.   

This is informational warfare at its finest.. checkout china for instance.. they instituted social distancing at the end of January and then about 6 weeks later they reported no new cases. 

How can anyone with half a brain believe that this is true?  Thats not how this works!!!  

If we are only trying to "flatten" the curve.. how is it that china how some how miraculously made the curve go away?  they didnt.  They either ran out of test or (more likely) stop testing or (most likely) stopped reporting new cases and deaths.

They want you to believe that social distancing is the answer so that while world shuts down, they ramp up production of the vital products the rest of the world needs... they artificially are driving the stock market and world supply and demand. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PDIII said:

I am not being facetious at all.. people need to get sick to fight this virus.. it is the only way.  The virus will stop spreading when people build up the necessary immunities.  And this happens in schools.  Shutting down schools was probably the worst thing we could have done.   

This is informational warfare at its finest.. checkout china for instance.. they instituted social distancing at the end of January and then about 6 weeks later they reported no new cases. 

How can anyone with half a brain believe that this is true?  Thats not how this works!!!  

If we are only trying to "flatten" the curve.. how is it that china how some how miraculously made the curve go away?  they didnt.  They either ran out of test or (more likely) stop testing or (most likely) stopped reporting new cases and deaths.

They want you to believe that social distancing is the answer so the work world shuts down while they ramp up production of the vital products the rest of the world needs.   

  1. China fought the virus by enforcing social distancing to an extreme you don't want... they welded morons who were going to leave their houses into them and covered the highways with mounds of dirt to stop people from leaving their cities. The death toll and number of cases there is likely underdone (though I'm not sure I believe its as dramatically underdone as others, hell, our case numbers and fatality numbers are way underdone), but they stopped it through social distancing. They aren't out of the woods yet though, other countries could bring it back to them.
  2. China instituted strong social distancing and, you are right! Massive drop off! That is proof it works. Jesus.
  3. I'm sure China is laughing at the U.S. response, I know I am.
  4. Yes, everyone catching the virus and getting immune would solve the problem quickly. But also millions of people would die. So weigh that how you will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I hope you are being facetious, but I have a strong feeling you aren't. If the latter is true, please seek help.

Look China made some bleep up and every medical institution and government in the world is either in cahoots to this conspiracy or run by mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons who can’t see the obvious truth that he does!  

I’m done with him.  He doesn’t get it because he doesn’t want to get it and no facts are going to matter because anything that doesn’t conform to his narrative is simply “fake”. But he “knows”!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NorthArlington101 said:
  1. China fought the virus by enforcing social distancing to an extreme you don't want... they welded morons who were going to leave their houses into them and covered the highways with mounds of dirt to stop people from leaving their cities. The death toll and number of cases there is likely underdone (though I'm not sure I believe its as dramatically underdone as others, hell, our case numbers and fatality numbers are way underdone), but they stopped it through social distancing. They aren't out of the woods yet though, other countries could bring it back to them.
  2. China instituted strong social distancing and, you are right! Massive drop off! That is proof it works. Jesus.
  3. I'm sure China is laughing at the U.S. response, I know I am.
  4. Yes, everyone catching the virus and getting immune would solve the problem quickly. But also millions of people would die. So weigh that how you will.

There is two very problematic approaches when it comes to the numbers that we see.. #1 is that we do not have consistency in methodology.  Anitbody testing is non existent in the US.. and this is what we really need in order to determine who has been exposed to the virus so that we know the actual mortality rates.  #2 is that we need to be able to determine if Corona Virus is the cause of death vs Corona virus is present at the time of death.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is two very problematic approaches when it comes to the numbers that we see.. #1 is that we do not have consistency in methodology.  Anitbody testing is non existent in the US.. and this is what we really need in order to determine who has been exposed to the virus so that we know the actual mortality rates.  #2 is that we need to be able to determine if Corona Virus is the cause of death vs Corona virus is present at the time of death.  

I realize that we are never gonna agree here and that is fine but I don’t think there is a noteworthy distinction between pneumonia caused by Coronavirus and Coronavirus itself. I assume that’s what you are getting at with the last point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before anyone’s says that last statement was political...I’m not saying a healthy skepticism of information isn’t ok.  And some people of every political persuasion are too quick to dismiss facts that don’t conform to their preferred narrative. But in this case the “this is no big deal” argument and conspiracy suggestions are just completely beyond the pale of logic and reason.  Frankly I find them to be insulting to humanity in general. It requires such an extreme assumption of stupidity in so many millions of people to make those theories plausible...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I am not being facetious at all.. people need to get sick to fight this virus.. it is the only way.  The virus will stop spreading when people build up the necessary immunities.  And this happens in schools.  Shutting down schools was probably the worst thing we could have done.   

This is informational warfare at its finest.. checkout china for instance.. they instituted social distancing at the end of January and then about 6 weeks later they reported no new cases. 

How can anyone with half a brain believe that this is true?  Thats not how this works!!!  

If we are only trying to "flatten" the curve.. how is it that china how some how miraculously made the curve go away?  they didnt.  They either ran out of test or (more likely) stop testing or (most likely) stopped reporting new cases and deaths.

They want you to believe that social distancing is the answer so that while world shuts down, they ramp up production of the vital products the rest of the world needs... they artificially are driving the stock market and world supply and demand. 

Oy!  I don't want to wade into this controversy because I have definite views that are not aligned with yours.  And I've got far more than half a brain, thank you very much for the insulting condescension there.  But read about 1918.  They were no strangers to what we now call "social distancing" or "flattening the curve."  Most widely seen image is what St. Louis did vs. Philadelphia at that time, and the difference is stark.  And throughout history, quarantines and the like were common practice in the absence of other medicine.  As for China, they introduced rather draconian stay-at-home orders.  I'm not saying we are headed there, and yes, they haven't gotten "rid" of it, but it did help.  The whole idea is to first, keep the emergency facilities from becoming overwhelmed and second, perhaps it will reduce the amount of infection cases at least enough until we can get a vaccine or some other treatment.  And we've already got overwhelmed facilities here.

You sound like what Boris Johnson in the UK was saying, let everyone get sick and go from there.  But even he changed his tune rather dramatically in the past week or so.

Fact is if we can keep millions from dying and far more from suffering through bad cases if they do survive, we should do so as a matter of ethics.  This whole idea that "it's just the flu" is crazy; it's a virus that nobody has any immunity to, and you may not have permanent immunity after.  And it's world-wide.  It's also much harsher than the regular seasonal flu or cold.  It's not alarmist.  And don't even think that even if this settles down through the summer, that it won't come back as we get into the next fall/winter.  And by then, we'll have the full complement of the flu season in front of us; not just a couple of months at the end like this year

I swear, when I see the complaints, I wonder what those whining about it would have done during WW-II and the Depression, when various laws were put in place to support the war effort or to alleviate the economic disaster...serious sacrifices, etc.  Now, there's too much BS about "I don't want the gov'mint taking away my free-dumb during a crisis that they're exaggerating!"

OK, sorry to everyone else, I did wade into the controversy, perhaps to my own detriment.  But had to vent a little...my apologies!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Before anyone’s says that last statement was political...I’m not saying a healthy skepticism of information isn’t ok.  And some people of every political persuasion are too quick to dismiss facts that don’t conform to their preferred narrative. But in this case the “this is no big deal” argument and conspiracy suggestions are just completely beyond the pale of logic and reason.  Frankly I find them to be insulting to humanity in general. It requires such an extreme assumption of stupidity in so many millions of people to make those theories plausible...

I didn't find your comment political.  Viruses don't care what one's philosophy is.  I was actually worried my long comment below yours sounded too "political" or "charged", but I've about reached my limit so had to vent a little.  So I get where you're coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Look China made some bleep up and every medical institution and government in the world is either in cahoots to this conspiracy or run by mouth breathing knuckle dragging morons who can’t see the obvious truth that he does!  

I’m done with him.  He doesn’t get it because he doesn’t want to get it and no facts are going to matter because anything that doesn’t conform to his narrative is simply “fake”. But he “knows”!

 

The single party authoritarian leadership in China cannot have it both ways. Their enterprising citizenry has now had the taste of honey. The totalitarian, isolated China of the 50’s could have pulled it off. It’s much harder, now, for their leadership to keep the lid on the truth. Notice how well their bastard child to the north of South Korea has kept his nations real disaster quiet. If the present Chineses leadership wants to continue their growth in the global economy, their window of information will never be completely sealed. Something as basic as burial urn information will find its way to the light of day. We should put our left and right leaning inclinations aside and think logically with the middle, our heads. Yes the truth of their outbreak and it’s source has been abridged. My opinion may seem jaded but I feel that their leaderships draconian efforts had more to do with the potential loss of their growing global economic dominance then concern for their good citizens. The full extent will come out in time. As always ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

MyPillow guy?!? :facepalm:

He makes a good pillow.  And I saw a headline that he’s turning his factory to make 50,000 face masks/day?  I like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nj2va said:

He makes a good pillow.  And I saw a headline that he’s turning his factory to make 50,000 face masks/day?  I like that.

Absolutely. Whatever it takes to get PPE to the front lines. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's make some use of this thread without getting into politics.....resulting from covid-19, what's the next industry boon in this country? Many options though it seems like we've hit on some after other events like 9/11.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Let's make some use of this thread without getting into politics.....resulting from covid-19, what's the next industry boon in this country? Many options though it seems like we've hit on some after other events like 9/11.

Maybe these remote work companies? There’s a ton of money and time being saved with these virtual meetings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, please. This thread is slowly getting too political. Even the debate about the virus itself is creeping into that area where people are ignoring facts. 
 

I know this crisis is on everyone’s mind but we usually do ok with keeping the weather side and even banter mostly free of the pressing news. 
 

what I’m trying to say is please don’t make this into the MA PR thread. There’s a place for that so go there if you feel the need to discuss whatever conspiracy theory you have(PDIII). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Maybe these remote work companies? There’s a ton of money and time being saved with these virtual meetings. 

That's def a good one. We've come a long way in the last 10 years...even 5 really...with teleworking. This is just a small sample size, but if you can maintain your IT support you're good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, H2O said:

Yes, please. This thread is slowly getting too political. Even the debate about the virus itself is creeping into that area where people are ignoring facts. 
 

I know this crisis is on everyone’s mind but we usually do ok with keeping the weather side and even banter mostly free of the pressing news. 
 

what I’m trying to say is please don’t make this into the MA PR thread. There’s a place for that so go there if you feel the need to discuss whatever conspiracy theory you have(PDIII). 

Hey man,

I just needed to press @nw baltimore wx on his gubernatorial platform. If he’s not bringing me snow I don’t want what he’s selling. HECS or bust. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PDIII said:

I am not being facetious at all.. people need to get sick to fight this virus.. it is the only way.  The virus will stop spreading when people build up the necessary immunities.  And this happens in schools.  Shutting down schools was probably the worst thing we could have done.   

This is informational warfare at its finest.. checkout china for instance.. they instituted social distancing at the end of January and then about 6 weeks later they reported no new cases. 

How can anyone with half a brain believe that this is true?  Thats not how this works!!!  

If we are only trying to "flatten" the curve.. how is it that china how some how miraculously made the curve go away?  they didnt.  They either ran out of test or (more likely) stop testing or (most likely) stopped reporting new cases and deaths.

They want you to believe that social distancing is the answer so that while world shuts down, they ramp up production of the vital products the rest of the world needs... they artificially are driving the stock market and world supply and demand. 

China basically shut there country down for a month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Hey man,

I just needed to press @nw baltimore wx on his gubernatorial platform. If he’s not bringing me snow I don’t want what he’s selling. HECS or bust. 

This sounds like quid pro snow

 

I’ll see myself out

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.