• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2020 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, Etc. Thread

mattie g

We have a pink dogwood sapling that finally blossomed a little this year, but now all the blossoms drooped and the little leaves that were growing next to it are limp. WTH?

We also planted 2 red twig dogwoods. One is happy, but one is struggling. Lots of leaves that are shriveled and limp.

Anything I should try for either of these?

46 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We have a pink dogwood sapling that finally blossomed a little this year, but now all the blossoms drooped and the little leaves that were growing next to it are limp. WTH?

We also planted 2 red twig dogwoods. One is happy, but one is struggling. Lots of leaves that are shriveled and limp.

Anything I should try for either of these?

Pics?

On 4/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, nj2va said:

Has anyone resealed pavers here?  I want to power wash my patio pavers, put new paver sand down, & then reseal.  Is it really difficult for those who have done it?

Not difficult as long as your knees and back aren't too cranky. Might take a couple of days depending on the size. Do it now before it's hot and humid! You'll like the results.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Trying our hand with Lupine this year.  Put two plants in the ground this year with better soil conditioning.  After our trip to Maine last year we're really in love with the plants.

I had to look them up, but now I know what you’re talking about. Those are beautiful plants. Good luck!

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I had to look them up, but now I know what you’re talking about. Those are beautiful plants. Good luck!

There is a endangered species of Lupine in Maryland that I would happily plant if I could get some seeds.  We've put a big focus on reducing our carbon footprint (needless watering, lower energy usage, etc.)  Adding the native Lupine would be neato.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/rte/rteplantfacts.aspx?PID=Sundial Lupine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Trying our hand with Lupine this year.  Put two plants in the ground this year with better soil conditioning.  After our trip to Maine last year we're really in love with the plants.

i hope you have better luck than we did. 

when we redid our front bed last year we planted two lupines. one had one lone stalk bloom. nothing else did. and they haven't resurfaced yet. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

i hope you have better luck than we did. 

when we redid our front bed last year we planted two lupines. one had one lone stalk bloom. nothing else did. and they haven't resurfaced yet. 

Lupine will not grow in warm or clay soils which is tough for us in Baltimore County.  We have raised best that are conditioned down to about 30" so hopefully we can get them to take.  I'm not expect much success but I just wanted to try at least once.

34 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Lupine will not grow in warm or clay soils which is tough for us in Baltimore County.  We have raised best that are conditioned down to about 30" so hopefully we can get them to take.  I'm not expect much success but I just wanted to try at least once.

well let me know how it goes. they really are beautiful flowers when in bloom

• Like 1

Two question for the lawn folks:

1.) Do you have a recommendation for a de-thatcher/aerator that isn't overly expensive for a home owner to buy?

2.) We have a lot of wild violets on our lawn.  We have a lawn service that does some light spraying for us, but the violets just laugh at it.  Are there any suggestions on how to slowly reduce their numbers?

37 minutes ago, mappy said:

i know recently someone had given me recommendations on what plants to put in my garden space for butterflies, but i can't find it. 

whoever you were, can you tell me again? :) 

Cornflowers and butterfly bushes are a couple of the go-to's.  We have both.   Milkweed is good for monarchs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, Eskimo Joe said:

Two question for the lawn folks:

1.) Do you have a recommendation for a de-thatcher/aerator that isn't overly expensive for a home owner to buy?

2.) We have a lot of wild violets on our lawn.  We have a lawn service that does some light spraying for us, but the violets just laugh at it.  Are there any suggestions on how to slowly reduce their numbers?

We also have a lot of violets. The most effective way is to probably remove them by hand with one of the stick weeders. The rhizomes are pretty shallow and easy to find. I've sprayed them with roundup before and they still came back so chemical control is pretty much a no go unless you want to repeatedly nuke with powerful herbicides.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, yuki neko said:

We also have a lot of violets. The most effective way is to probably remove them by hand with one of the stick weeders. The rhizomes are pretty shallow and easy to find. I've sprayed them with roundup before and they still came back so chemical control is pretty much a no go unless you want to repeatedly nuke with powerful herbicides.

Thanks for the info. I'll stick with over seeding and manual pulling. We like to avoid any acrid chemical treatment whenever possible.