• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Chicago12
    Newest Member
    Chicago12

NYE Mess Obs

1 hour ago, bobbutts said:

Taking a break from clearing the driveway.  One of the worst to clean up.  It's solid underneath with just a little snow on top.  Two passes and there's still about 1/2" ice left.

I have like a half inch of compacted snow on the bottom, an inch of ice on top of that, 2-3” of sleet on top of that, and then 1-2” of snow on top of that. I tried shoveling first, but laughed and gave up after the first attempt. Luckily the new snow blower ripped through it like a hot knife through butter. 

39 minutes ago, alex said:

Where the hell is my upslope?

Gotta wait for the cold front first. Ginx's WINDEX squalls are on their way.

Kind of worried we didn't play them up enough today for NH.

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

How are the trails in that area?  I've never ridden in Maine but love that area and spent time there camping in summer.  It's probably one of the easiest areas to get to for me, straight over on 302 and feels like it would be a good place to go for a Maine rookie.

Trails are pretty typical for southern Maine and the clubs are strong. You can link up a ride that takes you up Hurricane Mountain Road and Evans Notch in NH and wraps back into Maine via Stow and Kezar Lake -- one of the classics out this way. Not sure what reciprocity is for Vermont sleds in NH and Maine these days tho. 

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh Yey! It's snowing now but lightly. At least without wind it's actually covering the picnic table :)

1 minute ago, alex said:

Oh Yey! It's snowing now but lightly. At least without wind it's actually covering the picnic table :)

MWN at 27002KT ain't going to cut it for upslope, but once it's 35G50KT in a few hours it'll be a different story.

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Getting down played on the latest MCD

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

MWN at 27002KT ain't going to cut it for upslope, but once it's 35G50KT in a few hours it'll be a different story.

I have NO idea what any of that means But it sounds good :snowing:

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Trails are pretty typical for southern Maine and the clubs are strong. You can link up a ride that takes you up Hurricane Mountain Road and Evans Notch in NH and wraps back into Maine via Stow and Kezar Lake -- one of the classics out this way. Not sure what reciprocity is for Vermont sleds in NH and Maine these days tho. 

Just have to register in ME. I may try it the free weekend. 

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread before as I did not read every single post but at one point yesterday Northern Worcester County was under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and an Ice Storm Warning simultaneously . Has this happened before around here?

17 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread before as I did not read every single post but at one point yesterday Northern Worcester County was under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and an Ice Storm Warning simultaneously . Has this happened before around here?

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/52873-nye-mess-obs/page/23/

2 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Beautiful area to ride trails.

Really happy for the Tamarack, Dryslot, Lava Rock, OceanSt, etc crew... the GYX region seems like it hasn't had a good solid win yet this season despite events NW or south of them.

• Like 1

Really happy for the Tamarack, Dryslot, Lava Rock, OceanSt, etc crew... the GYX region seems like it hasn't had a good solid win yet this season despite events NW or south of them.
Hey thanks. Happy NY.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks Scott, Happy New Year!

Spent the day in PWM and can vouch for the siggy impact, esp downtown.  Pure mashed potatoes, with very large piles all around.  Excellent storm for them.

Now back home and just had a period of moderate snow come through, nice way to finish out a historic month.

I will call it 5 inches.  First 3 were sleet which was slit in half by a bulletproof glaze.  Last two were sleet and snow.  A bear to clear.

9 minutes ago, klw said:

I will call it 5 inches.  First 3 were sleet which was slit in half by a bulletproof glaze.  Last two were sleet and snow.  A bear to clear.

About the same here. I snowblower most of it last night. The parts that had to be shoveled, I made my 15 yo do. 

Forecast did okay...snowfall of up to an inch extended a bit further to the south than forecast, and there was not as much ice in the CRV as expected. I glossed over that last point, and should have been more diligent. 

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2019/12/verification-nye-mixed-bag.html

I'd give it a "B"...

Verify.png