Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 12/11 SNE Snow Threat

The 4 Seasons

ZFP, fwiw.

Tuesday Night
Rain likely with a chance of sleet in the evening, then snow likely with a chance of sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch possible. Much cooler with lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Wednesday
Snow likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Much cooler. Near steady temperature around 30. West winds around 5 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent.

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

ZFP, fwiw.

Tuesday Night
Rain likely with a chance of sleet in the evening, then snow likely with a chance of sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch possible. Much cooler with lows in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Wednesday
Snow likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Much cooler. Near steady temperature around 30. West winds around 5 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Light snow accumulation means sub advisory for that forecast period i.e. around 1", 1-2, 1-3, 2-3

Moderate means advisory for that period

Heavy means warning for that period

Adding an inch to say 1-3 yields about 2-4ish. That's generally how that works in my experience. @OceanStWx can correct me if im wrong.

Light, moderate, heavy are the three categories and its usually stated outside of a time when exact numbers come into play.

• Thanks 1

Quickly, after reviewing the 12Z/18Z runs and checking out bufkit/soundings this is what i think is most likely at the moment. There are some positives such as good growth in the DGZ, model continuity amongst GFS/EC/GEM but also some red flags such as the dry air depicted in the GFS soundings and some mesos cutting way back and shifting SE.

First call map, we are still about 36 hours away from the meat of it, final call issued tomorrow afternoon/evening before any snow begins.

12_09.19_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.d7307c7fb50fc91738fc84b96cd4b90d.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Been 1-3" with spot 4" since the get-go...no change. Fraud refers to the tendency to underperform what are often ambitious expectations....doesn't mean P sunny skies. Pretty simple.

What is considered the fraud 5?

1. Inverted trough

2. Anafrontal snows

3. Wrap-around snows

4. Snow Squalls

5. Clipper redevlopment

??? I'm just guessing

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Been 1-3" with spot 4" since the get-go...no change. Fraud refers to the tendency to underperform expectations....doesn't mean P sunny skies. Pretty simple.

I agree with the 1-3".  I remain overly concerned that 850mb dry air pocket is going to eat up some of that QPF.  If that solution verifies, great, people get 1".  If it saturates more than modeled then people end up with 3". It's a win-win lol.

18 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

What is considered the fraud 5?

1. Inverted trough

2. Anafrontal snows

3. Wrap-around snows

4. Snow Squalls

5. Clipper redevlopment

??? I'm just guessing

I think the clipper redevelopment is a real deal..happens more than the others in that list, and can become some big storms for SNE at times.  Blizzard of 78 was a clipper redevelopment.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

I think the clipper redevelopment is a real deal..happens more than the others in that list, and can be one big storms for SNE at times.  Blizzard of 78 was a clipper redevelopment.

I was more thinking along the lines where a fast moving clipper moves just south of LI and enhances 1-3" amounts into 3-6" snows.

When you have a good upper air pattern and it's forecast to be an explosive bomb off the delmarva, that's different. 

Blizzard of 2005 started its life as a clipper.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

3 to 6 still, no expectations higher so no fraud. You can look up posts to see how goalposts changed in definition but meh that is standard here. Still time to adjust. Final look probably tomorrow 18z. 

When 3-6 doesn't verify, it's a fraud.

Wait for it..

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I was more thinking along the lines where a fast moving clipper moves just south of LI and enhances 1-3" amounts into 3-6" snows.

When you have a good upper air pattern and it's forecast to be an explosive bomb off the delmarva, that's different. 

Blizzard of 2005 started its life as a clipper.

Yes exactly.  And so was 78...the grandaddy of clipper redevelopers for SNE.   

I didn’t realize you were meaning the innocuous lil buggers south of LI.