• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wednesday 12/11 SNE Snow Threat

The 4 Seasons

This is my first ever thread for a snow threat, so hopefully it's a good one. (I promise to never start another one if it busts, ha.) We are now about 36hrs from the start of the event and the December Disco thread has a lot to cover so thought it was a good idea to seperate it. 

Right now this looks to me as a general 2-4 or so over a wide area of SNE. I don't think there will be much of a difference from coast to inland with the exception of elevation. This is a marginal situation where we will have snow falling on wet roads and places that had temps in the 50s for the past 2 days...so i think there will be a higher impact and more snow covered roads at higher elevations in the interior. 

There's definitely quite the spread amongst models right now with the GEM/RGEM/UKMET the most bullish and NAM/GFS/ICON/EC on the other side. There's a lot of red flags and things that can go wrong with this one with dry air in the mid levels, delayed precip changeover, etc. I think it's important to keep expectations in check. If everything works out i think the absolute cap with this one is a stripe of 4-8" somewhere in interior CT/MA. I want to look into this a little closer and checkout BUFkit before i issue a map. First map will probably be later today and final call tomorrow.

All in all we are looking at our second widespread SNE snow threat and it's only 12/9, so we're off to a good start.

Discuss on...

• Like 3

My forecast for CT is up to a coating of snow...with a coating to an inch in the northeast hills. 

Pros:

Very strong mid-level lift/forcing enhanced by a potent 100+ MLJ streak moving through the region and a 150+ knot ULJ putting us in RFQ. 

Narrow ribbon of impressive frontogenesis

Sufficient RH with respect to ice in the SGZ 

Cons:

Alarmingly low values of relatively humidity in the lowest 5,000 feet of the atmosphere with pockets of dry air throughout the column

Still under the presence of CAA 

Strong subsidence within the lowest 10,000 feet of the atmosphere

As front moves through it begins to do so rather progressively 

All in all...dynamics are great to have, but dynamics alone aren't going to get the job done or get a job done. While we have the forcing/lift to generate the production of snow the degree of dry air will quickly eat anything that falls. The result...snow showers for many but based on timing it will likely lead to a slick AM commute with delays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@SnowGoose69

I'm really not either but tbh i have not been reading or following anything from him since i left WXBell. I used to watch his daily Weather Avenger videos or whatever the hell they were called. I used to trust him and really try to follow what he was saying but my opinion has since changed. He's really biased to snow/cold and has a business to run, i was pretty green back 4-5 years ago and couldn't see that.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I’m not saying that someone in a narrow area  can’t get three or 4 inches, but that large of an area of 3 to 6 inches looks overdone in my opinion.

Remember, they only have certain ranges to pick from.  They can't do 2-4" I think.  That would work for most areas in SNE...

Someone might get a 4" amount but that's a stretch.  Up and in will be moisture starved

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Took like 3 seconds to make...I like lol

Those are the best ones.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Remember, they only have certain ranges to pick from.  They can't do 2-4" I think.  That would work for most areas in SNE...

Someone might get a 4" amount but that's a stretch.  Up and in will be moisture starved

? They have 2-3 and 3-4 ranges though. If they wanted to do 2-4 for SNE they could do a wide area of 2-3 and 3-4. What Scott's saying is that 4-6 aint happening on that wide of scale like they are painting it to be. 

• Like 2