• Member Statistics

    16,026
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr
    Joined
NYCSNOWMAN2020

WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Ah. Beautiful 90s memories. 
 

love Long Island. But can’t deal with this :)

 

im relocating to upstate

actually no, northern Maine 

CE7C8D68-9434-4846-8114-7EBC90473A31.jpeg

Your going to have to go 2 hours north of the city for a nice snow storm with this one, 80s style. I do not think anyone wants a crippling ice storm or mid 30s and heavy rain that we going to see south of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Ah. Beautiful 90s memories. 
 

love Long Island. But can’t deal with this :)

 

im relocating to upstate

actually no, northern Maine 

CE7C8D68-9434-4846-8114-7EBC90473A31.jpeg

After a week in northern ME you will be doing all you can to get back to civilization. Trust me on this one. Or keep going north to Quebec and learn French. You'll at least have Quebec City to keep you busy. Northern ME is just wilderness. Almost hit a moose up there.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

What the hell happened to the big storm this weekend? Everyone was excited about it.

Pattern sucks right now. We have a Pac jet on steroids and a lack of any meaningful blocking. All we have are quick shots of cold air followed by cutters. The only way we can score is with a well positioned SWFE. Hopefully with the impending AO drop it will reshuffle the pattern. In the meantime I'm about ready to punt the rest of December away. On a final note I got a feeling once we get into the heart of winter, the Pac will start to relax and stronger blocking will take hold. It's more likely than not we see a HECS before all is said and done. We just have to be patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NutleyBlizzard said:

Pattern sucks right now. We have a Pac jet on steroids and a lack of any meaningful blocking. All we have are quick shots of cold air followed by cutters. The only way we can score is with a well positioned SWFE. Hopefully with the impending AO drop it will reshuffle the pattern. In the meantime I'm about ready to punt the rest of December away. On a final note I got a feeling once we get into the heart of winter, the Pac will start to relax and stronger blocking will take hold. It's more likely than not we see a HECS before all is said and done. We just have to be patient.

This winter will likely to have 1 hecs and that will be our snow. Pretty lame unless we have a massive hecs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This winter will likely to have 1 hecs and that will be our snow. Pretty lame unless we have a massive hecs.

It's way too early for any ledge jumping. Heck look at the calendar it's not even winter yet. Despite the garbage pattern we're in currently, at least it's not a torch. It's just volatile. We can still score on some nickel and dime events despite the unfavorable Pacific. Like I said, once we get into January and beyond things will turn around in our favor. We have the players on the field; split flow jet, above normal SST's, and a low solar minimum. I don't see why we can't lock into a good six weeks of a snowy pattern.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

After a week in northern ME you will be doing all you can to get back to civilization. Trust me on this one. Or keep going north to Quebec and learn French. You'll at least have Quebec City to keep you busy. Northern ME is just wilderness. Almost hit a moose up there.

We recently went to Iceland 

 

Quebec City was actually our next destination. It looks nice in December. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

After a week in northern ME you will be doing all you can to get back to civilization. Trust me on this one. Or keep going north to Quebec and learn French. You'll at least have Quebec City to keep you busy. Northern ME is just wilderness. Almost hit a moose up there.

One doesn’t need to drive to northern Maine to almost hit a moose, you can do that in CT. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I would be really bored in Caribou. 

Cooperstown is a nice small town but there is nothing to do up there.

No need to go to Caribou - southeast Maine is a great spot.  Almost took a job with Portland PD many years ago but couldn’t get my wife to make the move.  You can almost triple our NYC annual snowfall just NW of Portland and still have true four seasons with both wilderness and real urban arenas close by.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

One doesn’t need to drive to northern Maine to almost hit a moose, you can do that in CT. 

Some of them even have four legs. As always.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snow88 said:

What the hell happened to the big storm this weekend? Everyone was excited about it.

You can blame the Northern stream for eroding heights over the Western Atlantic.

Get a grip. It's December 17th. Consider yourself lucky that you've already seen flakes this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I still have hopes of making my move to NS within the next few years. Somewhere near the shore in Lunenburg County would be ideal.

My goal is 12 years, a small house somewhere north of here (preferably Lake Placid area but we’ll see what NY looks like) and something near the Delaware beaches to appease the wife lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

My goal is 12 years, a small house somewhere north of here (preferably Lake Placid area but we’ll see what NY looks like) and something near the Delaware beaches to appease the wife lol

Nice. Best of both worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snowshack said:

No need to go to Caribou - southeast Maine is a great spot.  Almost took a job with Portland PD many years ago but couldn’t get my wife to make the move.  You can almost triple our NYC annual snowfall just NW of Portland and still have true four seasons with both wilderness and real urban arenas close by.  

Even there the winters are harsh. My BIL is near Lewiston-Augusta area and lived on a lake for years. it was great for two months of the year. To this day he rails against the snow; he is a ME native who moved to NJ for career reasons and moved right back to ME when he retired. He likes chopping wood all year and being in the middle of nowhere in a log cabin, so he puts up with the snow. He's a bit anti-social...but can fix anything and takes me fishing on his boat, so I deal....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Snow88 said:

This winter will likely to have 1 hecs and that will be our snow. Pretty lame unless we have a massive hecs.

What makes you think we would get a HECS? When you get rainy patterns like this, they tend to persist. You end up with a sleetfest or two sometimes, that's all. This was standard stuff most of the 90's. We'd have people driving into work from PA with snow on their cars, and nary a flake in our region....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lee59 said:

Closing in on 4 inches of rain here in the past 5 days.

I have had it with the rain. We need a break already. Cold and dry is fine, even warm and dry. This slop just sucks. Good for pneumonia, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

After a week in northern ME you will be doing all you can to get back to civilization. Trust me on this one. Or keep going north to Quebec and learn French. You'll at least have Quebec City to keep you busy. Northern ME is just wilderness. Almost hit a moose up there.

Some of America's greatest writers hailed from Maine.... I'm thinking John Updike, Stephen King and Robert Frost (?).  It is indeed a refuge for intellectuals and inspires creativity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Pattern sucks right now. We have a Pac jet on steroids and a lack of any meaningful blocking. All we have are quick shots of cold air followed by cutters. The only way we can score is with a well positioned SWFE. Hopefully with the impending AO drop it will reshuffle the pattern. In the meantime I'm about ready to punt the rest of December away. On a final note I got a feeling once we get into the heart of winter, the Pac will start to relax and stronger blocking will take hold. It's more likely than not we see a HECS before all is said and done. We just have to be patient.

we went from 1983-1996 without getting more than a foot....( March 93 topped out around 10 of snow-sleet-zr ) so don't expect a HECS every few years. It is far more likely that we won't see one any time soon. But, it would be cool if we did....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlizzardNYC said:

Have a feeling this winter is going to be Dominated by the PAC. The most we may see is nickel and dime storms. Time will tell but that’s my feeling.

We'll get our MECS/HECS in March and another crappy, blocky spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Some of America's greatest writers hailed from Maine.... I'm thinking John Updike, Stephen King and Robert Frost (?).  It is indeed a refuge for intellectuals and inspires creativity.

 

It is also a place that attracts more than its share of those looking to get away from the rest of the world, and boy do they.....and Stephen King is not considered to be in the company of those you mentioned, even he wouldn't put himself there. His writing was once described as the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries. He would not argue with that: " If you wrote something and someone sent you a check, and it didn't bounce, I consider you talented."-Stephen King. By the way, he does love ME and once told students at a graduation there not to bother to even leave, because nothing else compares. I'd agree with him, in July and August....stunningly beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Snow88 said:

This winter will likely to have 1 hecs and that will be our snow. Pretty lame unless we have a massive hecs.

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

We'll get our MECS/HECS in March and another crappy, blocky spring. 

Imagine bitching about only getting one historic blizzard per year

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It is also a place that attracts more than its share of those looking to get away from the rest of the world, and boy do they.....and Stephen King is not considered to be in the company of those you mentioned, even he wouldn't put himself there. His writing was once described as the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries. He would not argue with that: " If you wrote something and someone sent you a check, and it didn't bounce, I consider you talented."-Stephen King. By the way, he does love ME and once told students at a graduation there not to bother to even leave, because nothing else compares. I'd agree with him, in July and August....stunningly beautiful.

haha I was thinking of his Dark Tower series, I haven't read any of his earlier works, I found it laudable that he was trying to combine all of his fiction into one series, very Tolkien-like.  Then again I'm more of an Asimov science fiction fan, as fantasy doesn't really do it for me.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We'll get our MECS/HECS in March and another crappy, blocky spring. 

No, much more likely that we get it in February.  Maybe even January considering some of the newer forecasts I've been looking at say we may be in for a cold January.

It's been many many decades since there's been an HECS in March- namely 1993.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Even there the winters are harsh. My BIL is near Lewiston-Augusta area and lived on a lake for years. it was great for two months of the year. To this day he rails against the snow; he is a ME native who moved to NJ for career reasons and moved right back to ME when he retired. He likes chopping wood all year and being in the middle of nowhere in a log cabin, so he puts up with the snow. He's a bit anti-social...but can fix anything and takes me fishing on his boat, so I deal....

Depends what you consider harsh.  75-100" snowfall climo would probably be right up his alley...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.