Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

45 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh,  'cept it wouldn't be "gradient flow," in the sense that it's just circumstantial with some pattern we gotta deal with.  Not that you think so...just sayn'.   

The problem with the heights in the south is a global one.  It's vaster and longer than circumstantial to pattern(s). I can refer users/members/readers to lots of formal papers describing the Hadley Cell ballooning and encroaching into the lower Ferrel latitudes.

I used to refer to this as the "Miami rule" back in the day, ..and it still works actually, even though I was blissfully unaware, then, that what I was observing was the early onset of the former.  I did a statistical analysis of east coast storms years ago ( talking 2002 or 2003 ), and found that 72 hours prior to the storm genesis ( usually when the governing mechanics are still not yet arrived/crossed the 100 W longitude ) if/when heights were > 582 DAM over Miami, and wind speeds were > than 35 kts, the Miami rule was in effect. Then, as the S/Ws succeeded that ~ 100 W their southern aspects began to absorb wave mechanics into the preexisting balanced upward wind anomaly.  The troughs tended to morph into a positive slope geometry ...and onward, this then of course mitigated cyclogen parametrics - not absolutely... Just in part.  But sometimes that part might be large, and mid range storms ended up weaker. 2001 March being foisted above the M/A and busting a lot of forecasts was a particular operational nightmare that might have been avoided if these markers were noted ( which they were in place  ) prior to the big vortex attempt by the models to plumb it through the M/A. It did, but distribution perturbed by the S-SE Hadley expression..etc..etc.   It depends also on other factors. None of this precludes storms. That's not the correct read. Its about morphology and in many cases, speed of events as they caught up in a concomitantly faster flow. Although I do believe slow moving juggernauts are rarefying in lieu of middling events in succession, as increasing in tendency. 

There's two types of ridging over the Gulf and Florida/adjacent SW Atlantic.  There is ephemeral ridging that rolls out ahead of deep troughs that are plunging toward TX. These heights may briefly rise, but don't usually have the attending > 35 kt geostrophic wind.  The other type is canvased and linked/rooted in Planetary events, and is there at all times.  This latter form, is the one that compresses and speeds up the flow as a rest state regardless, and is also an aspect of the swelling Hadley Cell. The other option is just have the damn HC over take our latitudes ( but I wonder if that is geo-physically even possible ..) but then winters are a thing of the past as we know them.   

Hey, why not have the whole planet be one ginormous Hadley cell. Like Mars or Titan. Meridional flow pole to pole.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

That was a record early melt. Almost got it on his birthday. You could see it brewing yesterday like the Yellowstone caldera. I think the anger has been boiling over since the lack of dews the 2nd half of summer. Emo weather.

You could see it coming on even the day before when he was asking Scott what the chances were of the euro being over amped as the snow threat was slipping away like the sands thru the hour glass of the days of our lives.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Are computer models not running today? 

No ...because there's a big storm next week. 

We did a statistical correlation out of frustration/tongue-in-cheek back in college, and found that indeed... there was a tendency for some dipshit to kick the plug out of the wall down at NCEP whenever the pattern looked particularly interesting -  ...of course, we're taking liberties there with the "cause" for the delays/outages, but, sufficed it is to say, there is an eerie 'gremlin' there. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

We did a statistical correlation out of frustration/tongue-in-cheek back in college, and found that indeed... there was a tendency for some dipshit to kick the plug out of the wall down at NCEP whenever the pattern looked particularly interesting -  ...of course, we're taking liberties there with the "cause" for the delays/outages, but, sufficed it is to say, there is an eerie 'gremlin' there. 

Brian shut them down until were inside day 3.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:lol:

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

There running, 12z Nam is done and the 3K

Where at? I've checked Cod, tropicalridbits, and pivotal and there is no 12z runs and 6z barely finished. Trying to find out if there are any issues 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

There should probably be new rules here.

1. No snow maps beyond d3

2. No 2m temp maps beyond d4

3. No QPF maps beyond d5

4. No op maps beyond d8

5. Only ens H5 heights beyond d10

6. No ICON, SREFs, or d3+ NAM at all. None. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Back to Eastern and WWBB... no storm threat threads until 4 days out of less. 

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

Wasn’t there a storm around 1980 that hit metro west?

Don't know its full extent, but 11/17-18 that year brought 8-12" from PWM to BGR and points west.  Only 2" where I then lived in Ft. Kent.  During the 70s and 80s the 4 places I've lived in Maine (BGR, Fort Kent, Gardiner, New Sharon) had among them more than a dozen events of 10"-21", and I managed to be in the wrong place for every one.

Yes it’s 89.  Had a good storm. Rode my sled around the neighborhood that morning before T Day dinner.  A good 6 or 7 inches fell. 

Only a few tenths in flurries, but the T-day max of 17 is easily the coldest for my 13 Novembers in Gardiner.  Far more interesting was the thunderblizzard 2 days earlier that ushered in the 6 weeks of brutal cold.  Temps for the 41 days 11/22-12/31 were 15.0° BN at Farmington, with 34 of those days at least 10 BN and 7 more than -20.  Cold left the building after that but snows continued.

Yeah that 00z GGEM was the fun solution for today's date - so far... 

That's a 24 hour high impact snow and wind coastal on that dreamy solution. And since the flow is happenstance marginally compressible along and < the 35th parallel down there, the slower movement overall can happen - ho man..  

Problem is, ...other than this being the GGEM, is that I've seen that modeled like that and then those HC heights correct up in time and then interference kicks in ... and there's your extended modulation 

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The best is when everyone's favorite sites crash b/c of server overload from all the refresh requests 

True, but that's a load balancing issue with networking and inherent limitations with internet traffic doing that - one should expect that.    

This other phenomenon seems to invent/emerge as though on-purpose just to butt bang at precisely the sorest butt time -

• Haha 1