• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Very windy here.  I was just up at a meeting next to the KMPV ASOS, which appears to be off-line at the moment, and the wind was blowing open the lobby doors of the building we were at.  When we left we drove through a very brief shower of what I assume was graupel/half melted hail?

55 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That front ripped thru here at 5:00 am and knocked power out to a section of the city, 0.66" qpf fell, I had a wind gust to 41.2mph, Trash cans all over the roads with limbs, Some downed trees and leaves flying around, Temp at 4:00 am was 63/62, We are now at 50/35 after the FROPA.

Wind had kicked up last evening, but the final showers didn't arrive until just before 6 this morning, nearly an hour after the lights went out.  Temp dropped 3° in the 15 minutes before I headed to Augusta.  As of my 6:15 obs for cocorahs we'd had 0.59" yesterday/today, doubt we got more than another tenth or so.  Heavy stuff clipped N. Aroostook - Madawaska cocorahs reported 2.97" and New Sweden was next at 1.15"; no one else in Maine has reported over 1".   
No news on whether the home front is re-powered yet.

Edit:  Re-checked cocorahs and saw that Westmanland, like New Sweden a central Aroostook town, reported 1.24" and a couple 1" reports from eastern Washington County.  All those sites were still raining at obs times.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

PF,  big difference in precipation from W VT to E VT.  After a dry September I ended up with 5.7" in October.   Here is October rainfall for NNE.

Untitled.jpg

That map doesn’t line up with CoCoRAHS in NE VT.  If it’s radar estimated it’ll be low over there.  

NEK in VT was very wet even into Lyndonville.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That map doesn’t line up with CoCoRAHS in NE VT.  If it’s radar estimated it’ll be low over there.  

NEK in VT was very wet even into Lyndonville.

I never thought of that.  NE Kingdom has crappy radar coverage so obviously it will show much lower qpf than actually fell.

25 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I never thought of that.  NE Kingdom has crappy radar coverage so obviously it will show much lower qpf than actually fell.

Yeah just take those heavier amounts by Alex and Tamarack, and extend that over to the heavy stuff by BTV and western VT....that gap between the two in NE VT is just radar not sampling it well.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Severe Irene-level flooding from this event.  

I put a bunch of stuff in the storm thread.  

4+ inches in Underhill, 3.79” storm total in Stow, 4” in Morrisville, Town of Eden is isolated.  RT 108 in Stowe washed out.  

What a rain event!  

That sucks, sorry to hear that. The few days around Halloween seem primed for floods around NNE. 2 years ago was our turn. Glad we escaped with no issue, but I never wish it on anyone. It’s been a wet month for sure, now let’s turn it white! So the first couple of stray flakes today, but not enough to even be called a trace. 

43 minutes ago, alex said:

That sucks, sorry to hear that. The few days around Halloween seem primed for floods around NNE. 2 years ago was our turn. Glad we escaped with no issue, but I never wish it on anyone. It’s been a wet month for sure, now let’s turn it white! So the first couple of stray flakes today, but not enough to even be called a trace. 

The great flood of 1927 was right around this time of year too

https://www.weather.gov/media/btv/events/1927Flood.pdf

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had a real nice conversation with some of my wife’s family living in Winooski VT. Of course it turned into Breweries. I got to get up there. I’m sure PF and Jspin know of these places he was rattling off, but sounds like a great time. 

I loved my time there. I miss it everyday.

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had a real nice conversation with some of my wife’s family living in Winooski VT. Of course it turned into Breweries. I got to get up there. I’m sure PF and Jspin know of these places he was rattling off, but sounds like a great time. 

If you ever get up this way I’ll join ya for some beers for sure.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

I definitely will, as usual...just about scheduling. He’s a big skier and was talking about all the places around Stowe as well. Between the lake there, BTV, and all the ski areas with top notch bars and restaurants, you got a good thing going. 

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I definitely will, as usual...just about scheduling. He’s a big skier and was talking about all the places around Stowe as well. Between the lake there, BTV, and all the ski areas with top notch bars and restaurants, you got a good thing going. 

I don’t ski but would turn up for some apres action. A mini NNE get together. 

• Like 1

I’d been occasionally looking outside to see if there was any precipitation this morning, since with that flow off the lakes and temperatures around the freezing mark, it felt like we’d have our first chance at something frozen down here in the valley.  And indeed at around 8:00 A.M. we got a graupel shower with a pulse of moisture pushing through the spine:

03NOV19A.gif

As is often the case with the density of graupel, it quickly accumulated to bring the first measurable of the winter season.  We’re actually past the mean dates of first frozen trace (10/20 ± 6 days) and first accumulation (10/26 ± 11 days), but this event is falling well within the 1 S.D. range of the latter, so we’re on track in that regard.  The next benchmark I have in my records is the first event of ≥1”, which is (11/8 ± 16 days).  There’s quite the variability with the date of that first 1” event, spanning from late October well into November, but we’re certainly in a pattern where we’ll be having some snow chances.

At mass this morning my wife was talking with some friends who live up on Blush Hill and they’d already been out earlier making snow angels in their dusting.  Oh those NNE snow sickos!

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

3 weeks ago I was living with heat indices of 100+, this morning I scraped frost off my windshield, wore some ski socks, and there might be accumulating snow in the near future. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I wish there was a love button.

Yeah, absolutely.  It’s funny, I’ve got that same excitement for Diane that I have for when an avid skier from the big city finally makes that decision to move out west or up here to live at a resort.  Of course, the thing is, she essentially is living at a ski resort.  Transitioning up from the south after the way the past several months have been down there has got to be one of the more dramatic examples though.  With the elevation they’ve got there, it would be surprising if they don’t see some sort of snow this week.

October Precipitation: 6.08”

2019 Precipitation: 52.47”

I meant to post the October monthly precipitation a couple days ago, but I’m getting a chance to catch up on it now.  October is our second wettest month here behind June, but this one was even a bit above the October average.  Moving on to November, it’s typically one of our drier months, but it’s off to quite a roaring start with that event we had a couple days ago bringing almost 3 inches of liquid.

I thought today was just going to be a bit cloudier version of yesterday, but to that I can give a definite “nope”.  This morning I’d raked a few remaining leaves into some small piles that I was going to collect later today, but about 15 minutes ago the wind picked up to the point that it was starting to scatter them.  I quick ran around and collected the piles, but of course with the wind came a bout of heavy mixed precipitation that got everything soaked pretty quickly and brought another round of transient accumulation:

03NOV19B.gif

If we’re getting into the frozen precipitation down here, I figured the elevations had to be getting hit even harder, and indeed I checked the Bolton Valley Live Web Cam at ~2,100’ and there were flakes flying and a coating of white:

03NOV19A.jpg

With bouts like this happening we’ve definitely turned a bit of a corner in the weather here as we’ve move into November relative to the past month or two.