• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dorkchopper
    Newest Member
    dorkchopper

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Sweet! Its funny Jackson hardly gets any snow in these type situations. 

Yea I’m jealous of your location in the county for flow-driven events.  I want to see what happens at mine when we get a miller A tracking storm, it seems like it would set up well for that especially when looking at annual precipitation maps and seeing a maxima running along the county line.  My anecdotal observations make it seem like the moisture gets ringed out here on anything other than flow snow lol.

1 minute ago, WxKnurd said:

Yea I’m jealous of your location in the county for flow-driven events.  I want to see what happens at mine when we get a miller A tracking storm, it seems like it would set up well for that especially when looking at annual precipitation maps and seeing a maxima running along the county line.  My anecdotal observations make it seem like the moisture gets ringed out here on anything other than flow snow lol.

Oh yeah we do good in flow and southern system situations but you do better with a miller A or B. The Balsams just wring out all the moisture.  You would be in heaven. Soon enough hopefully we get one storm we can all cash in on.

• Like 2

Parkway is open for the time being, turned the corner at Woodfin Cascades overlook and hit more than a dusting.  4000’ but the northerly facing component is the main difference. 25F3DE90-053E-441E-AED5-E2A70BD3B904.jpeg.ca11c3b44e70ee1101d5b474a0b4953a.jpeg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yes it does. Could be a surprise tonight. 

Looking at the current radar returns in central Missouri, the trough is definitely not completely void moisture. From the Kansas City NWS forecast discussion this morning: 

National Weather Service Kansas City/Pleasant Hill MO
500 AM CST Mon Jan 20 2020

.Discussion...
Issued at 336 AM CST MON JAN 20 2020

Interesting weather set up for Monday, which begins with a surface
high centered roughly over the eastern Dakotas. With the center of
the ridge situated well off to the north, cold air will continue to
filter into the region for the next day or so. This would normally
keep the weather pretty fair, but currently over central Minnesota a
shortwave trough is currently diving southward into Iowa and
eventually will move over the forecast area. Now, moisture within
the column will be difficult to find, but this trough may provide
just enough lift and the air mass may just be cool enough to
condense the limited moisture into precipitation in the late morning
to late afternoon hours. 

Maybe we can pick up a little something tonight into tomorrow morning with the frigid air in place. I'm grateful for whatever we can get this Winter.

• Like 3

Hey guys, its been awhile since I have been on here, but I am from Alabama and will be making a trip with the family to the mountains in Gatlinburg in hopes of some nice snow from the weekend system. Our cabin is 2900 feet up off ski mountain road and we will be arriving early Saturday morning and driving back on Monday.

We did this a couple years ago and Carvers Gap and a few of you other folks that are used to dealing with events in the mountains were a big help. I look forward to tracking this weekends storm and hope we can score on a nice NW flow event.

HRRR with some nice upslope for the SW mountains early tomorrow morning. I am thinking Highlands could see 2-3” from this. This flow could also bring a dusting to an inch to the Asheville area tonight.

49f334eef14ec83ca2868bcb421591c6.jpg

• Like 3

Did anybody feel the earthquake in NE TN? Brad Panovich said it was felt in the mountains as well.

Just now, Hvward said:

HRRR with some nice upslope for the SW mountains early tomorrow morning. I am thinking Highlands could see 2-3” from this. This flow could also bring a dusting to an inch to the Asheville area tonight.

If we can squeeze out a dusting here I'd be thrilled. 

• Like 2

Did anybody feel the earthquake in NE TN? Brad Panovich said it was felt in the mountains as well.

I didn’t feel it but I saw people commenting on his tweet that someone in Blowing Rock and someone in Franklin felt it.

28 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I didn't feel anything in Bryson city. I was also driving at the time.

30 minutes ago, Hvward said:

49f334eef14ec83ca2868bcb421591c6.jpg

Hopefully we can squeeze out some moisture!

• Like 2

Well, today has been a great winter day.  Had a high today of 9.1° about an hour ago, and it has snowed all day.  I dont think the orientation of the flow tonight is going to do much for me, but I already picked up just over 1.75".  I am not complaining.  

Hope you folks down around the highlands get something this evening.

• Like 10

Well, today has been a great winter day.  Had a high today of 9.1° about an hour ago, and it has snowed all day.  I dont think the orientation of the flow tonight is going to do much for me, but I already picked up just over 1.75".  I am not complaining.  

Hope you folks down around the highlands get something this evening.

Awesome man! I agree with the winter day.
Enjoy!