• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Damage In Tolland

Last year we started some Lupine by seed.  Started the plants indoors and mid-summer they were big enough to put along the stone wall right across the road from our house.  They came back up this year.  Gave them some Miracle Grow earlier this spring and they have taken off.  Not quite at peak but getting close.

Lupine.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Last year we started some Lupine by seed.  Started the plants indoors and mid-summer they were big enough to put along the stone wall right across the road from our house.  They came back up this year.  Gave them some Miracle Grow earlier this spring and they have taken off.  Not quite at peak but getting close.

Lupine.jpg

Very nice! Mine are still budding. I posted last week how there were no lupines at the Lupine Festival in Sugar Hill this year. Kinda sad, it's very pictoresque but it was nothing but green lawns this year. 

Very nice! Mine are still budding. I posted last week how there were no lupines at the Lupine Festival in Sugar Hill this year. Kinda sad, it's very pictoresque but it was nothing but green lawns this year. 
I through down a bunch of wild flower seed last year. Supposed to be 10-15 variety throughout the season. Only a couple right now32548.jpg32543.jpg

• Like 3

Nice Legro. Looks like a good spot there. That's a nice looking yard for something new. Sometimes it takes years to get established.

Also, my wife is obsessed with the median on 93 in NH. There are tons and tons of daisies and lupines from the MA line to MHT or so. It looks beautiful. She wants to pull over and rip up a bunch every time we drive by...lol. 

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice Legro. Looks like a good spot there. That's a nice looking yard for something new. Sometimes it takes years to get established.

Also, my wife is obsessed with the median on 93 in NH. There are tons and tons of daisies and lupines from the MA line to MHT or so. It looks beautiful. She wants to pull over and rip up a bunch every time we drive by...lol. 

They're north of CON too. (big patch near exit 17), but I haven't seen them flower yet this year. The state usually lets them flower and then mows them back after they drop seed. Eek gave me some lupines a few years ago, but aphids did a big number on them. No problems with the echinacea he gave me.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They're north of CON too. (big patch near exit 17), but I haven't seen them flower yet this year. The state usually lets them flower and then mows them back after they drop seed. Eek gave me some lupines a few years ago, but aphids did a big number on them. No problems with the echinacea he gave me.

Yep, there too. Looks great. Makes the traffic that much easier. :lol:

19 hours ago, alex said:

Alex,   everything is so late, still waiting for my first 80F.  I guess the Lupine Festival is a bit like the Cherry Blossoms in DC.  Each year is different, this is certainly a late one!

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

I'll add that it should be a law that every yard has a patch of wildflowers growing like that. Feed the beneficial insects.

My fields have so many wild flowers right now. They seem to have exploded the past week.   It gets really hard to cut when it gets really high and   I love the look of nice cut low fields  but I know how important the flowers are to the bees/insects/butterflies.  Bottom line I'll wait to mow and leave patches for the wildlife.  

The new grass is growing unbelievably fast.  Just from this morning to tonight it went from things you needed to search for (like my picture from earlier shows) to now having large patches of greenish tint. 

I just finished watering.....eager to see what happens over the next 24 hours.  One thing that's kind of a bummer is that I'm not able to move the sprinkler to the center of the new area without walking through the other areas.  So, I might find I"ll need to do some additional work on that after the other areas take hold.

Let me look and I'll get back to you

Yeah I’d also like to know. That’s good stuff. What’s the plan for weeds, just let them grow too? Clear cut it in the fall?

Pretty sure it was the Northeast Mix. https://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-seeds/wildflower-mix/northeast-wildflower-seed-mix

That whole area was clear cut only 2 yrs ago. I just through the wildflower seed by hand, but obviously missed some large swaths. Some oaks are already creeping back in, so I need to keep cutting those or they'll grow rapidly. Here's a pic during excavation.

ef23a1f7875a97494e497ec9abe1336c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Pretty sure it was the Northeast Mix. https://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-seeds/wildflower-mix/northeast-wildflower-seed-mix

That whole area was clear cut only 2 yrs ago. I just through the wildflower seed by hand, but obviously missed some large swaths. Some oaks are already creeping back in, so I need to keep cutting those or they'll grow rapidly. Here's a pic during excavation.

ef23a1f7875a97494e497ec9abe1336c.jpg

Wow that’s incredible in only two years. 

On 6/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, CoastalWx said:

I lucked out. Three neighbors have had to bring someone in and completely replace their lawns. And one of those even failed to come in nice. 

I think we were starting to lose it last year but I took a page out of Kevin's book and bombed it with fertilizer. Went away on a long weekend vacation and came back to a lawn that choked the mower a few times. :axe:

Otherwise it's full on trench warfare at Chez Legro. Fighting yard by yard to hack the weeds out.