• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
February 2019 Observations

yotaman

It's been a steady mix of wet snow and sleet for the past couple of hours. Temp down to 33.4 IMBY. This has gotten colder more quickly than anticipated.

I've got a nice slushy accumulation on my back deck. The driveway is also beginning to accumulate the sleet pellets. Over performing, for sure, here in Hickory!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

So I’m noticing that my temp is falling a couple degrees faster than most of the hi-res guidance, even accounting for the earlier onset of precip than what was shown. Even the NAM is a degree too warm. I’m wondering if that since the models are showing rain, but we’re actually seeing lots of frozen precip at the surface; that the models are slow to cool because they aren’t accounting for atmospheric heat being removed to melt the snow/sleet.

3 minutes ago, WSchew said:

So I’m noticing that my temp is falling a couple degrees faster than most of the hi-res guidance, even accounting for the earlier onset of precip than what was shown. Even the NAM is a degree too warm. I’m wondering if that since the models are showing rain, but we’re actually seeing lots of frozen precip at the surface; that the models are slow to cool because they aren’t accounting for atmospheric heat being removed to melt the snow/sleet.

Plus you have to take into account that as frozen precip (snow/sleet) melts it takes heat from the air. It's the opposite of freezing rain which adds heat as it freezes. 

Edit: I didn't read your last line ^_^

2 minutes ago, bannerdude said:

Sleet is accumulating on most elevated surfaces here. Haven't seen snowflakes yet.

See that heavy/bright band running through Durham into north Wake County:

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=RAX-N0C-1-24

You want to be just north of those returns (which represent sleet).