Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

33 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Your probably good for -5 or so even with a decent breeze. A look at dew points on some of the meso ob sites show dews in the -10 to -20 range and a lot below -15ºF region wide. Meso ob site closest to Tamaqua in Tuscarora State Park showing 1 degree with a -18ºF dew point.

Yeah, Tuscarora is a couple miles from the house as the crow flies. The drop has slowed a bit, but we are down to +2 as I type this.

4 hours ago, paweather said:

We can enjoy winter for a couple of days but so interesting that this is lining up like the Halloween Snowstorm years ago, someone told me the year but forgot it, where we had that snow early and then winter fizzled. Seems to meet the pattern here where we had the mid November snowstorm and then December was not good, most of January failed, and February starting out not warm.

Harrisburg is actually ABOVE normal snow  for both the month of January & also for the season through today.

January & the season are Not fails in the snow department at MDT at this time.

January average snow through today is 8.4 inches & today MDT is sitting at 9.5

The season normal average through today is 14.1 inches & today MDT is sitting at 18.3 , with a surplus of 4.2 inches.

Harrisburg is well on its way to hit at least the average seasonal snow total of 30.9 inches.

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sitting at 9. Doubt MDT hits zero or below but we will see.

Edit: Now 7, dropped 2 degrees on 12 minutes. Dew is at -12 so it might actually make it to the rare below zero territory. The river is quite ice-covered now so that should help.

I hope you and MDT make it...more historic if MDT makes it.

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Harrisburg is actually ABOVE normal snow  for both the month of January & also for the season through today.

The season normal average through today is 14.1 inches & today MDT is sitting at 18.3 , with a surplus of 4.2 inches.

Harrisburg is well on its way to hit at least the average seasonal snow total of 30.9 inches.

It has definitely been a month with a wintery feel to it.  No big snows but several small to moderate.  It's too bad Friday storm could not be one with more atmospheric upwelling as catching a PV retreating is the perfect time to get the best of both worlds with moisture and temp. 

44 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Since the Winter of 1942 we have had 6 January's where we finished with between 16"-20".  They are listed below.  Its such a small sample size it shouldn't be taken that seriously, considering if I have made the cut off 15"-19" the yearly average would have increased over 30" I believe, haha.

SN End of Jan SN Rest of Winter Total Season SN
1946 16.70 11.40 28.10
1949 19.00 14.10 33.10
1953 17.20 7.00 24.20
1977 18.70 4.70 23.40
2011 17.40 7.70 25.10
2015 16.20 23.00 39.20

Average 17.53 11.32 28.85

Got a nice surface temp IR snapshot of PA tonight with no clouds over the commonwealth. You can make out all of PA's major rivers and Raystown Lake. To support some of those blues in the -20s Celsius east of the river in the H-burg region there's a mesowest ob site in Paxtonia section of town with -9ºF and -7ºF at Fort Indiantown Gap (KMUI)

1155919108_ScreenShot2019-01-31at2_43_44AM.thumb.png.d13cdca052ba42aacf6746d2053bc3db.png

• Like 1

temp is now back up to a scorching -1 . I will have to edit my video and post tomorrow I froze my ass off shooting the eclips the other night for you sleeping Sallys that have to work in the winter, and I think one guy named joneys56 appreciated it (Thanks jonesy), of coarse he may be the only guy that saw them in the old thread. Tonight was not nearly as brutal on the skin as the eclips but my finger tips lost feeling because I cant operate my video camra with gloves. Its boring as hell but If I can post it enjoy it anyways.      

• Like 1

-3 here  

Headed snowmobiling at the cabin tonight...  Its ALMOST too cold for that.

meh.....no its not.  

Looks like a few day thaw, and then it gets colder/active once again.  Whoohoo  I'll believe the -NAO when I see it, but Iso thinks its already starting to show and models will correct.  

In the meantime, enjoy gang.

• Like 1