Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

6 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

Honestly looking forward to next weeks storm also. Grand Rapids WFO said it is the more significant snow.

Models can barely handle this storm that's a few days away so I wouldn't get excited about anything next week yet. Lol. It will be an active pattern but how significant remains to be seen

• Like 1

Sure this is a question with a lot of unknowns given the models, but for N IL does this look to be more of a matter of timing (i.e. starting later) or amounts? I get both are related, just trying to figure out how bad Saturday morning could potentially be in NE IL. Have to make a decision if I'm going to stay overnight or try to drive home in what seems to be like the middle of the storm Saturday morning. Appreciate any crystal ball reads given the latest models!

2 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

12z Canadian takes a hard turn to the left...

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_15.png

Actually looks like the northern branch trough is trending more negatively tilted in recent runs, preventing a cleaner phase. Snow axis looks to shift south a tad, but more QPF in general. Likely due to the more neutral southern branch producing a somewhat stronger storm.

6 minutes ago, JymGanahlRocks said:

Ha! Nope, not the real deal. Just my favorite local met growing up in the 80s/90s 

As a snow weenie in Columbus, you gotta love Jym.   He gets more excited about snowstorms than I do.  He moved to Columbus in 78 following the Blizzard.  He often tells the story that after the Blizzard caught so many people here off guard, the local news channel, (I think it was NBC), fired their met and specifically searched for a met from a colder market.   He was working in Iowa and that's the main reason he got hired.

sorry for the thread jack  Back to the storm....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

Nice lake effect signal for NE IL on Saturday night 

Parameters would support 1-2" per hour type rates in the heart of the band once it gets cranking, so storm total amounts could be high end if it stalls anywhere for a prolonged period.  

• Like 1