• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 13-14th Winter Storm Gia

USCAPEWEATHERAF

Latest guidance does not give me any more confidence in a potential snow map, so I will delay until tomorrow 6z runs.  If the SREFs mean is still higher than all guidance, there might be something that means sees other than the other model guidance.  What it sees is the northern stream energy over Canada lifting northeastward out over the North Atlantic Ocean by 48-hours.  There is a 50/50 low in place, there is a strong western CONUS ridge (+PNA) in place, we have the cold air present, and we have a southern branch storm system, we have all the ingredients we need for a major New England winter storm.  Why isn't the model guidance showing it reaching the SNE coastline?  It should at least impact BOS to PVD area right?  Well in most cases the models seem to agree on the consensus of tracks for H85-H50 low tracks and development of those lows, however, this time around there is tremendous disagreement in the guidance as a whole.  The most bullish guidance brings Cape Cod about 19" of snow, one of the SREF individual members.  The mean brings 6-8" of snow to the outer Cape Cod and Nantucket areas, while the most other guidance exception being the HIRES short range HRRR and RAP models which agree with the more robust SREFs mean.  NAM guidance is offbeat, nothing in agreement, GFS is progressive as well.  I am leaning with the more robust models given that the WV shows what I see in the SREFs, but I will not show a snowfall map until after 6z runs tomorrow morning.

SREFs showing Winter Storm Gia 21z jan 12th.gif

Winter Storm Gia upper air data 12z.gif

Winter Storm Gia upper air data 00z.gif

7 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

ALl observations suggest the coastal storm is finally taking shape along the greatest pressure falls from SC to NC coastline, it will be heading northeastward, and depending upon how strong it gets will determine the final northern push of the deformation band.

No model shows the storm coming up the coast

47 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I admit I was hoping instead of using my brain on this one, while I still saw out to sea, I was hoping for a trend northwest, this winter is not happening that way.  Onto the football game today and then next weekend's rainstorm yeah.

James, you want so badly to see snow but you have to be realistic or like someone said no one takes your posts seriously.  Snow seems to be a deep passion for you and it was for me.  I have told this story on the boards many times.  Living in Boston and being on the wrong side of the coastal front time after time inspired me to one day move north.  Alex did the same thing.  It took 10 years of planning.  Finding the right spot, high and far enough north to get the goods, good CAD but close enough to Rt 93 to get down to Boston quickly.  Bought the fixer upper in 1989, worked on it on weekends and in 2001 when I was finally able to sell my business we moved up here.  Never looked back.  Follow your passion and try to find a way.  Then your posts will be about how much you get in each storm rather than wishcasting for winter.  Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1