Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2018

George BM

14 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I was just finding my way to Eastern back in 2009, and missed the discussion and model run-up to the big Dec 2009 storm (the mappy wedding day storm), from comments around here in past years worth of discussions, that was one which wasn't necessarily modeled to be that big until 3 or so days ahead of time? If so, what were the model struggling with in the mid-range on that storm?

It's hard to find anything!  Googling CWG from December 2009 doesn't come up with much in a Google search.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

i do not recall much before a week out. the sunday before it was high on my radar, by wednesday I was calling the hotel to see if guests who had saturday reservations, could also get friday night reservations at the same price we had agreed upon for our wedding block. i cannot recall any other specifics on what the models showed. just that it started where i was in frederick around 10pm friday night, and ended 24 hours later. 

Yeah, I recall a dinner with extended family the Saturday night (a week before the storm) where it was on my radar because I gave them a heads up on the chance for a big snow the following weekend, and recall them being surprised, but have no recall on what the issues were at that point and when it locked in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah, I recall a dinner with extended family the Saturday night (a week before the storm) where it was on my radar because I gave them a heads up on the chance for a big snow the following weekend, and recall them being surprised, but have no recall on what the issues were at that point and when it locked in.

if you feel like it, i was posting on accuweather at the time, found the thread

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=15795

have it. its only 482 pages. let me know if you find any of my posts in there lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jewell2188 said:

I feel like I’m the only one who has given up hope. We went from things looking fantastic to pulling for stings....early yet I know but it would be a heartbreaker if we miss out....again. 

Always plan on snow missing this area...it works out much better that way so you won't be disappointed.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

if you feel like it, i was posting on accuweather at the time, found the thread

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=15795

have it. its only 482 pages. let me know if you find any of my posts in there lol

I am kinda afraid to look there because...I was posting there then too, and...I am guessing I was terrible. Beyond terrible.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wow! That's really cool. 

Always bet on fail. 

In order to know the true depth of despair, one must first have hope. 

I typically always expect fail here lol. But it does get old after a while. I guess the one positive at this point is that it’s december not February. 

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wow! That's really cool. 

Always bet on fail. 

In order to know the true depth of despair, one must first have hope. 

Don't bet on a Fail. Bet on Washington DC and the greater Mid Atlantic Region will have a massively SNOWY winter, in 2018-2019.

Because it is in the cards and it is gonna happen. I read the tea leaves and Washington DC is gonna get destroyed by snow this winter.

And YOU, Reaper, You ARE The Reaper and you SHALL act the part in this subforum this winter, You will be out of work because there will be no one to Reap because this is going to be one of the greatest Mid Atlantic snow winters this region has ever imagined!

• Like 1

Found it! http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2009/12/forecast_windy_and_mild_today.html

The weekend will probably remain mostly on the cold side and a couple disturbances could work through the area. As of right now (and this is subject to change as we get closer to the weekend) we are looking at a 20% chance of snow showers on Saturday increasing to 30% on Sunday. We're still keeping a close eye on the possibility of a coastal storm. Highs should be near 40 with lows in the 20s. Confidence: Low

By Matt Rogers  | December 15, 2009; 5:00 AM ET

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Don't bet on a Fail. Bet on Washington DC and the greater Mid Atlantic Region will have a massively SNOWY winter, in 2018-2019.

Because it is in the cards and it is gonna happen. I read the tea leaves and Washington DC is gonna get destroyed by snow this winter.

One can only hope.  I hope I didn't jinx the 270 crew with my latest move.  I just wanted to witness firsthand at least the southern edge of a psuhoffman death band during a blizzard. :)

Fun link, mappy, the maps from the runs a week out from that storm that were posted are helpful to scroll through. Originally folks were focused on a clipper for that time period based on the modeling, the energy that became the southern feed for the event was just being hinted at I guess.

Also funny to now remember that is now the operational GFS was back then the para...and people were hugging the para seven days out because it had the coastal while the then operational had mostly nothing...

4 minutes ago, tplbge said:

One can only hope.  I hope I didn't jinx the 270 crew with my latest move.  I just wanted to witness firsthand at least the southern edge of a psuhoffman death band during a blizzard. :)

Hope is alive! The Dream is alive and well!

Get your Jebman Shovels, snowblowers and ice melter. Stock up on food, stout and get ready for a ROCKIN' Winter!

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Fun link, mappy, the maps from the runs a week out from that storm that were posted are helpful to scroll through. Originally folks were focused on a clipper for that time period based on the modeling, the energy that became the southern feed for the event was just being hinted at I guess.

Also funny to now remember that was is now the operational GFS was back then the para...and people were hugging the para seven days out because it had the coastal while the then operational had mostly nothing...

oh man, now i want to take a trip down memory lane. i didn't join eastern until after the Feb 2010 storms. 

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

oh man, now i want to take a trip down memory lane. i didn't join eastern until after the Feb 2010 storms. 

That thread is worth the read I think. I will not be able to read it in full until after work, but definitely thanks for the heads up and find on it. I wasn't at Eastern until just before the Feb storms...I think. Maybe after.

• Like 1

perhaps its just me, but having a snowstorm overhead 5-6 days out is not where i want to be. i like the southern look, for now. these things do come north, more often than not. 

i think most should continue to watch, and not give up, just yet... 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mappy said:

perhaps its just me, but having a snowstorm overhead 5-6 days out is not where i want to be. i like the southern look, for now. these things do come north, more often than not. 

i think most should continue to watch, and not give up, just yet... 

The accuwx forums definitely signals some deja vu.

eta: Not having -NAO is the biggest difference

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic