School systems need better advisors.  A lot of times, schools dismiss when they are better off staying and sometimes they dismiss at the worst possible time (during the heavy snow). 

We had around 3/4 an inch at the house in north Johnson City (according to my sick at home son) and a heavy dusting in Erwin with the largest flakes I have seen since 1998 falling toward the end of the heavy precip.

Nice surprise... 

• Like 5

The RGEM pretty much saw it 40+ hours out and I believe the NAM 12km sort of sniffed it out around 30 hours in advance. The NAM 3km on the other hand never really did grasp it. I believe as one of the posters here described it, the 3km sometimes seems to try too hard on the terrain features and elevation. With all that considered, the actual event overperformed all models at least for me.

I agree. The 12k NAM handled it better than the 3k NAM. On sim radar 3k NAM never turned it over to snow with the initial band. It was too warm.

GFS and FV3 also picked up on it as well somewhat.

The FV3 isn't backing down from the midweek system. It's on it's own with the amount of cold. Looks like a lot of near misses or light events being thrown out in the extended. This will either be a nice period over the next two weeks or the 2nd year in a row with very frustrating weather.

2 hours ago, bearman said:

Looks like it should be snowing out in West TN.  Let us know what is happening and send us some Pictures.

Got light snow falling now for the past 15 minutes.  Cold and gusty as well.  I’ll post pics if we get enough in the ground.  

• Like 1