• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

Lapse rates on the 18z NAM are pretty impressive along with the 700mb vertical velocities within the cold sector. I wouldn't be shocked to see some thundersnow as well within the heavy snow band. Looks like ILX and LOT both went with winter storm watches along with the rest of the DVN CWA too. All images valid at 18z Sunday Nov 25th via the 18z NAM today.

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 3.27.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 3.27.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 3.27.22 PM.png

• Like 1

DSM NWS forecast discussion out, they’re favoring the NAM and Euro, citing the Euro being most consistent model for this the last several runs. This means a more southeastern track with DSM getting an inch or two of snow. But the 18z GFS does not agree with that all, but it has been less consistent. But did I read they were forced to use outdated model runs in their forecast due to an outage?

15 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

It's a major model though.  Not sure how much faith to put in it given its an outlier, but ts got to be considered..right? 

Of course you consider it, however it shouldn’t be given a lot of weight until other guidance shifts towards it. Tonight’s runs will be telling as we should have partial sampling 

Rarely is there a solid consensus via models at this distance. This model fluctuation is more typical than atypical. No model has shown a consistent track over the past 72 hours. They have been consistent showing a major impact storm for the past week. The European model lost the title "King" long ago. Perhaps the GFS is the model that being an outlier south all week is now working its way back to the northern placement most of the other models had been showing most of the week up until yesterday's runs. My experience tells me I'd like to be in Eastern Iowa and South Wisconsin. But than I recall St Louis getting a decent storm only a week ago....

• Like 1

This low really loses its warm sector quickly once it reaches western MI, probably an argument for a southward shift of the snow zone in general after passing Lake Michigan.

Would suggest 8-12" s.e. IA, n IL, s WI into parts of s/c MI and 2-5" beginning to appear east of South Bend into se MI, sw ON, rain-snow mix in OH. 

Rapid pressure jump to coast means Toronto could see mostly snow despite the track. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I’m inclined to believe the GFS this go around. Each run has been remarkably consistent on the north trend today, and the ensembles are with it. Euro ensembles also shifted northwest a good amount today.

Even the King can fail every once in a while.

After it was just as remarkably consistent with it’s south trend yesterday... 

• Like 1

Lol @ the GFS going from the southern outlier yesterday to the northern outlier today.  Blending all of the guidance together puts us in a pretty good spot.  Tonight's 00z should hopefully start to see more agreement among the models.  

Still early to make a call, but I'm liking the possibility of 6"+ for here and the QC.  40-50mph wind gusts will definitely make some mammoth drifts out in open country.

EDIT:  Point from DVN has 7"

• Like 1