Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
wxeyeNH

NNE Fall Thread

Recommended Posts

43" depth on November 28th.  Not too shabby even for the picnic tables.

 

Daily Hydrometeorological Data
National Weather Service Burlington VT
542 PM EST Wed Nov 28 2018

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.73    27  22  23                     43

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, alex said:

No I own a vacation rentals company, Bretton Woods Rentals. We are a lodging partner of the ski resort but completely unrelated. We manage about 25 properties

So do you live off the resort I assume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That may be a record for Mansfield in November.  Will have to do some digging.

I mean this has been absurd.  And it was dumping when I left up there....huge snow banks, trees loaded to the top, snow blowing everywhere. 

It honestly could be February up there.

A friend took this in the base area earlier today.

46966549_10101113388687387_2423731439058

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That may be a record for Mansfield in November.  Will have to do some digging.

I mean this has been absurd.  And it was dumping when I left up there....huge snow banks, trees loaded to the top, snow blowing everywhere. 

It honestly could be February up there.

A friend took this in the base area earlier today.

46966549_10101113388687387_2423731439058

It probably is. The shear pounding you guys took and lack of melting so far has to be a record or close to it. That's amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It probably is. The shear pounding you guys took and lack of melting so far has to be a record or close to it. That's amazing.

So I just found the max November depth was 45" in 1990.  It only stuck around for about 3 days before getting decimated.

Will might be able to remember.... but looking at the data it would appear it was one massive storm cycle or something that jacked the snowpack up and then it got warm again and the snowpack dropped almost as fast.  It was November 13-15, 1990.

This will most certainly win for snow depth days in November... there really aren't numbers on that I can find but looking at depths I can't see anything else really being this consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So do you live off the resort I assume?

Yes, I own a 32 acre lot with 4 houses on it just at the entrance of Bretton Woods, below the West Mountain ski trails - 1 mile from the base area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, alex said:

Yes, I own a 32 acre lot with 4 houses on it just at the entrance of Bretton Woods, below the West Mountain ski trails - 1 mile from the base area

Awesome. I'll keep it in mind if I ever come up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple hours ago leaving work at the hill... just cranking snow at that time.  A 48-hour storm and counting at that point.

The snowbank is getting pretty high up on that stop sign on the right.  It would really only take one more good storm to put the snowbanks up to sign level.

LlY3rLg.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 12.8” Snow/2.15” L.E.

 

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:  

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.3

Snow Density: 13.8% H2O

Temperature: 34.2 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So I just found the max November depth was 45" in 1990.  It only stuck around for about 3 days before getting decimated.

Will might be able to remember.... but looking at the data it would appear it was one massive storm cycle or something that jacked the snowpack up and then it got warm again and the snowpack dropped almost as fast.  It was November 13-15, 1990.

This will most certainly win for snow depth days in November... there really aren't numbers on that I can find but looking at depths I can't see anything else really being this consistent.

http://www.matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

 

Screenshot_20181128-230059_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 12.8” Snow/2.15” L.E.

 

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:  

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.3

Snow Density: 13.8% H2O

Temperature: 34.2 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

The upslope portion of the storm has generally had much lower than normal ratios for that portion of a storm.  The low level flakes have been pretty awesome aggregates at times though.  This time of year, QPF is great for building the base.  The fluff will come.   This is hard to comprehend in November for turning conditions... an event with over 2" QPF as snow in the hills, that's impressive any time of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Ginxy.  It's just been up up up all month, with big cold anomalies too.

Love this photo from FB of snow elasticity in Underhill, VT on the west side, sticking to a garden frame.

46965336_10217817444418403_3511034261517

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So I just found the max November depth was 45" in 1990.  It only stuck around for about 3 days before getting decimated.

Will might be able to remember.... but looking at the data it would appear it was one massive storm cycle or something that jacked the snowpack up and then it got warm again and the snowpack dropped almost as fast.  It was November 13-15, 1990.

This will most certainly win for snow depth days in November... there really aren't numbers on that I can find but looking at depths I can't see anything else really being this consistent.

Someone on alpine zone said that sb got 56” in that November storm in ‘90 and then it was gone within days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3.25" overnight with some very light snow falling. Looks like this is the final stretch though, and some rain in the later part of the weekend? Perfectly normal for this time of the year, but it sure is fun to have this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This event played out similarly to the Dec 12, 2014 event that cause more outages in Vermont than did TS Irene.  Borderline temps in the Champlain Valley that still produced decent snow, temps hovering at 32F elsewhere, and moisture-laden circulation from three directions (south, east, then north) over 2 days.  Great event for late November.  Two thumbs up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the Coast Mountains in BC up at the ski resorts right now.  Just pasted and plastered with snow.  Sheets of light snow and mist/fog with wind this morning...just so much moisture in the past 2-3 days.

This has been a special month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It looks like the Coast Mountains in BC up at the ski resorts right now.  Just pasted and plastered with snow.  Sheets of light snow and mist/fog with wind this morning...just so much moisture in the past 2-3 days.

This has been a special month.

Even around here, outside the traditional upslope zone, it keeps snowing lightly.  Not accumulating much but snow in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 8:50 AM, J.Spin said:

The BV snow report indicates that Timberline is strictly closed to traffic right now (perhaps due to chairlift work) so we headed up to the main base for our tour, and that turned out to be a great starting point. 

JSpin, have you heard anything about Timberline at Bolton?  I just saw these photos this morning and this does not look good.  Definitely full deropement. 

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.7100c8430de86a8b0d09476d1bc4f248.JPGIMG_1429.JPG.5eb993864980ab70b097e51cc9bd2a62.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

JSpin, have you heard anything about Timberline at Bolton?  I just saw these photos this morning and this does not look good.  Definitely full deropement. 

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.7100c8430de86a8b0d09476d1bc4f248.JPGIMG_1429.JPG.5eb993864980ab70b097e51cc9bd2a62.JPG

I’m no lift mechanic, but that ain’t right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

JSpin, have you heard anything about Timberline at Bolton?  I just saw these photos this morning and this does not look good.  Definitely full deropement. 

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.7100c8430de86a8b0d09476d1bc4f248.JPGIMG_1429.JPG.5eb993864980ab70b097e51cc9bd2a62.JPG

Wowzer. At first look I thought they got so much snow that the lift got buried, Mammoth-style. Not so much I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Even around here, outside the traditional upslope zone, it keeps snowing lightly.  Not accumulating much but snow in the air.

I just checked wh2o and they’re reporting 95” of snow with a settled depth of 45”.  So pretty comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the couch today with a very sore back.  Over did it yesterday with snow blowing and roof raking.  Then trying to free birch trees.

Snow depth 12".   Season total 31.75".    Not going to add much over the next 10 days.  Bit of snow to crap to rain on Saturday.  Next weeks storm looks south.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really struggled today to get above freezing. Another day without sun.  All week temps have stayed in a very narrow range  3F range.  Wish it would just warm up enough to get all the snow off of the trees.

Ordered a new Davis weather station today.  Mine is about 17 years old time for a new one

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×