• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

5"  total here.   Temperatures for most of the storm were in the upper 20's.

I created a new weather site with both my cam's.  www.bridgewaternhweather.com

I just sent an email to some of my family and friends.  My brother in law just called and said the cam images are not working. (no compatible source found for this media)

If any of you could try out the site and let me know if it is working,  I would appreciate it.   Thanks  Gene

49 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice

49081B9C-9C01-4162-B246-B209EA94F397.jpeg

Weird they'd use that but will probably update it.

A lot of those look like 7am COCORAHS reports.  J.Spin's 6am reading is on there.  Like Stowe was 4.5" as it's shown on the map but eyeballing I'd say maybe 7" total by the time it ended?  Just rolled in at home so will get a better measurement.

Upslope kicking in now as it started to snow again nicely.

Event totals: 7.2” Snow/0.64” L.E.

Snowfall here at the house was 4.4” with the initial overnight burst of precipitation and then another 2.8” fell when the precipitation moved back through.  We’re into the backside precipitation now, and I’ll take the next set of observations at 6:00 P.M. to update on how this part of the storm is going.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.21 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.3

Snow Density: 7.5% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky:  Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Weird they'd use that but will probably update it.

A lot of those look like 7am COCORAHS reports.  J.Spin's 6am reading is on there.  Like Stowe was 4.5" as it's shown on the map but eyeballing I'd say maybe 7" total by the time it ended?  Just rolled in at home so will get a better measurement.

Yeah, that’s going to be horribly inaccurate unless they update it tomorrow morning – we’ve had over 8 inches now, but even as of just noontime today we’d added substantially more snow than what came in that initial overnight burst.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just sent an email to some of my family and friends.  My brother in law just called and said the cam images are not working. (no compatible source found for this media)

If any of you could try out the site and let me know if it is working,  I would appreciate it.   Thanks  Gene

It was black when I checked

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, that’s going to be horrible inaccurate unless they update it tomorrow morning – we’ve had over 8 inches now, but even as of just noontime today we’d added substantially more snow than what came in that initial overnight burst.

7" storm total depth up this way.  

IMG_1289.JPG.d10e1b7d97db24438a0e7caf68c857f7.JPG

Event totals: 8.2” Snow/0.72” L.E.

This evening coming home from Burlington was one of those drives where the snow just kept ramping up in intensity the farther you headed into the mountains.  At the moment the snowfall seems to be running at about ½”/hr. here.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.8 F

Sky:  Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 8.2” Snow/0.72” L.E.

I was wondering what you got for liquid total as I was out shoveling and despite the the "dry" mid-winter style powder it felt surprisingly dense when lifting a scoop of it.  I instantly knew it had to be near 10:1 ratios... as eyeballing the top layer and the snow on cars you'd think it was fluffier than that. 

Nice synoptic snowstorm quality powder.  The snow in the mountains is off-the-hook good with a couple wet, dense heavy snowfalls that have gotten progressively lighter.  There were 3 snowstorms between last Friday, Tuesday and now this Friday that seemed to start wettest in the beginning and now today's was like a January snow event.  Very right side up type snowpack that's perfect for skiing and riding.

After meeting a buddy for a beer in Stowe, he was heading back through the Notch to a friend's place at Smuggs.  Here's the scene on RT 108 at the Stowe/Cambridge town lines, a little ways up from the gate at the Stowe ski area... not sure the depth but that's a guardrail so however high those things are off the ground.

oDzb8ZJ.jpg

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

After meeting a buddy for a beer in Stowe, he was heading back through the Notch to a friend's place at Smuggs.  Here's the scene on RT 108 at the Stowe/Cambridge town lines, a little ways up from the gate at the Stowe ski area... not sure the depth but that's a guardrail so however high those things are off the ground.

oDzb8ZJ.jpg

Bueno.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I was wondering what you got for liquid total as I was out shoveling and despite the the "dry" mid-winter style powder it felt surprisingly dense when lifting a scoop of it.  I instantly knew it had to be near 10:1 ratios... as eyeballing the top layer and the snow on cars you'd think it was fluffier than that. 

Nice synoptic snowstorm quality powder.  The snow in the mountains is off-the-hook good with a couple wet, dense heavy snowfalls that have gotten progressively lighter.  There were 3 snowstorms between last Friday, Tuesday and now this Friday that seemed to start wettest in the beginning and now today's was like a January snow event.  Very right side up type snowpack that's perfect for skiing and riding.

Yeah, hopefully there are many more right side up storms to come.  Analyses for this storm were:

10.2 to 1 for the overnight initial burst

13.3 to 1 for the morning push of moisture back to the east

12.5 to 1 for the afternoon snow through 6:00 P.M.

We’ve had a bit more this evening, so if I’m up I’ll do a midnight analysis, or if I’m not I’ll just run it tomorrow morning.

There does appear to be another shot of moisture upstream on the regional radar, so we’ll see if that delivers anything here.  It looks like it might be compliments of our good friend Lake Ontario:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 AM SATURDAY MORNING/...

As of 939 PM EST Friday...The trends continue as mentioned earlier. The snow shower activity associated with elongated shortwave has lifted NE and now broad SW flow across Lake Ontario bringing some additional snow showers for Adirondacks and Northern Greens for the overnight. No changes to forecast.

16NOV18C.gif

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.13” L.E.

Well, the BTV NWS is attributing this afternoon/evening’s snow to a specific upper level shortwave/trough, and indeed there was a defined break in the snowfall, so I guess it’s best to split it out from Winter Storm Avery.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.0

Snow Density: 8.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky:  Flurries

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

9 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

It looks like its working now

15 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

They came up black on the landing page but when I clicked on the black box the camera opened up. 

3 hours ago, adk said:

Surprised how warm it has gotten overnight. Up to 37 in BTV and 33 in Mo-Ville. When that cold front pushes through there will be some pretty significant instability. 

Indeed, the BTV NWS mentioned it in their discussion as well.

We’ve had on and off light snow shower activity here at the house, but it’s picking up now with some additional moisture coming into the area:

17NOV18A.gif

Some decent moisture being wrung out by the Spine this evening.  Just flurries here on the east side as it's having trouble getting over the barrier in the blocked flow... but looks like it should be snowing well at the ski resort and at the western slope towns.

Edit: Big fat aggregates just started falling.

IMG_1303.GIF.5b656d4f5d47ffb0e0b4c9d23cdb44e9.GIF

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some decent moisture being wrung out by the Spine this evening.  Just flurries here on the east side as it's having trouble getting over the barrier in the blocked flow... but looks like it should be snowing well at the ski resort and at the western slope towns.

Edit: Big fat aggregates just started falling.

IMG_1303.GIF.5b656d4f5d47ffb0e0b4c9d23cdb44e9.GIF

We picked up a tenth of an inch of snow earlier this morning, but it was too warm to accumulate much else today.  This evening’s snowfall is much more robust though, so we’re certainly picking up some accumulation now.  You can see more of those 30 db echoes crashing into the spine:

17NOV18B.gif

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.08” L.E.

This evening’s snow has certainly got some loft to it thanks to some big flakes – snow to liquid ratio is up near 20 to 1.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.3

Snow Density: 5.5% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.08” L.E.

This evening’s snow has certainly got some loft to it thanks to some big flakes – snow to liquid ratio is up near 20 to 1.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.3

Snow Density: 5.5% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-6 mm flakes)

Nice.  A great example of the J.Spin difference being right there in the Winooski Valley gap along the Spine.  Only a quarter inch here and mostly because the flakes were huge so just one layer of flakes gets you 1/4". 

I thought it looked like Bolton took the brunt of those squalls so if you had 1" down there, I'd assume they could've pulled 2-3" up at 2,000+ feet and with slightly better echoes.

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.09” L.E.

It looks like the upper level shortwave and secondary cold front have passed through the area now, so that should be it for that event.  The next potential windows for snow in the area appear to be on Monday/Tuesday and then again on Thursday.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 60.0

Snow Density: 1.7% H2O

Temperature: 19.2 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Bolton Valley had quite a multitude of recreational visitors this weekend, which isn’t too surprising with 36 inches of snow reported in the past week.  We had a couple of outings, so I can pass along some snow updates and photos.

On Saturday we were at Timberline most of the time, and snow depths in the 1,500’ – 2,500’ elevation range were typically 1 to 2 feet.  The freezing level rose up to roughly 2,000’ during the warm part of Saturday, so the snow below that elevation did thicken up a bit, but even down there the powder remained manageable.  The snow above that level was excellent of course.

The mountain picked up another 2-3” of fluffy powder for Sunday, and I toured at to the main mountain to stay above 2,000’ in the best snow.  Depth checks around the base area elevations of ~2,000’ revealed about 16 to 20 inches of snow.  Indeed the powder was fantastic up in those elevations, with the new fluff on top of everything being well preserved below it.  With all the activity from visitors, the main mountain was a veritable superhighway of skin tracks that would take you essentially anywhere you wanted to go fairly easily.

Full reports are linked above, but here are a few pictures from the weekend:

17NOV18J.jpg

18NOV18A.jpg

17NOV18C.jpg

17NOV18B.jpg

17NOV18H.jpg

17NOV18I.jpg

• Like 1