12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget about during a strong nina. The Euro verbatim would be one of the strongest storms probably on record to impact the east coast.

The 500 mb charts, and surface looks beyond description. Sub 960s on this run, and basically for the past 4 runs. The GFS and GGEM all show a similar set-up--with an earlier phase, their solutions would resemble the Euro. 00z tonight might begin to show convergence on a Near-Euro solution.

So, with this track, the QPF likely should be more?

Still, I would like to see the other models follow suit.

That started this afternoon. Relax. I find it comical that some people keep saying a compromise between the Euro and GFS is probably the way to go. Well the past 5 runs of the Euro hasn't budged while the GFS is flipping and flopping like a fish out of water. Always go with Mr Consistency.

Ken, I think, I could be wrong, but check out the H500 for December 1915... I think this looks like it.

I dont recall that lol-- but ever since the euro started its evolution, it looked to me like a March 1993 kind of deep southerly phase coupled with a December 1992 kind of track and stalling out.

Chris, if this verifies, you know what this means.....

i believe the blizzard of feb 1978 did something close to that.

Yeah, a storm can stall anywhere-- I remember Dec 1992 stalled just east of the coast of Delaware and slowly moved east.

All of our truly great ones have moved out to sea a bit south of us, the continued NE winds with that kind of track ensured prolonged snowfall as well as coastal flooding. This was the case in Feb 83 and Jan 96 also. Typically you want the storm to bend eastward at the latitude of Delaware or southern Jersey.

Yeah, a storm can stall anywhere-- I remember Dec 1992 stalled just east of the coast of Delaware and slowly moved east.

All of our truly great ones have moved out to sea a bit south of us, the continued NE winds with that kind of track ensured prolonged snowfall as well as coastal flooding. This was the case in Feb 83 and Jan 96 also. Typically you want the storm to bend eastward at the latitude of Delaware or southern Jersey.

Which is the scenario that usually gives those of us on the island our best/heaviest snows. :thumbsup:

Does anyone think that the Euro stalling the low east of Delaware and then turning it due east sounds reasonable?I cant rem seeing a storm stall out that south, can you guys?

The eastward movement is reasonable if the low becomes vertically stacked as shown on the Euro. And the rapid deepening and early capture, stall, and stack of the low is reasonable based on the upper level evolution. So that leaves the question of whether or not the Euro's upper level depiction is reasonable. And that's anyone's guess. Its consistency certainly suggests it is.

Really just remarkable stuff we're seeing on proggs today. True testament to what a pattern w/ a -5 AO, west based NAO block and massive PNA ridge can do for you. I can't get over the fact that this is our 5th consecutive ECMWF run w/ essentially a record breaking snow on the EC. The sern stream short wave has come onshore this afternoon, so it should pretty well sampled by tonight's 00z runs which of course, as we always say, are the most crucial thus far. :lol:

According to the 12z Euro, 10m winds are sustained at 50-55kt along the NJ coast and LI. Even 35kt around PHL at hour 114. 10m wind gusts get up to 55-60kt around the PHL area and closer to 70kt along the coast! Extremely impressive storm.

I think high tides Sunday night are around 11-2am along the coast of NJ.....later for back bays...manasquan is around midnight.

According to the 12z Euro, 10m winds are sustained at 50-55kt along the NJ coast and LI. Even 35kt around PHL at hour 114. 10m wind gusts get up to 55-60kt around the PHL area and closer to 70kt along the coast! Extremely impressive storm.

Holy cow!! That is nuts.

Is there a source to get ECMWF soundings?

So forgive the weenie-like question, because I'm still relatively new to looking at models and extrapolating from them, but what does this 12z run bore out to regarding ratios from the South Jersey (2+ qpf) to the Pottstown (1.5 qpf) area? Would we still see relatively similar totals across this area due to higher ratios in the west?

Imagine the amount of warnings you'd see on the Jersey coast if this solution verified

Blizzard Warning

High Wind Warning

Storm Warning

Blowing Snow Warning

Coastal Flood Warning

am I missing anything?

That would have to be up there with the all time greats such as the December 1992, Ash Wednesday 1962, and March 1993 in terms of combined impact from wind and water here. The snow would be great, but the NJ and Long Island beaches and likely even some communities on the coast (maybe even mine) would suffer very serious damage with that kind of setup.

Archived