• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential Part 3

earthlight

The Euro ensemble mean (shown in the Gen thread) is exactly where I thought it would be and exactly where I want it to be. Slightly faster than and NE of the OP :weight_lift:

In my head I have been targeting something close to the 12z GGEM for eventual SLP track/intensity. But the GFS ensembles and consistency of the Euro/ensembles have me hedging ever so slightly westward of there. :snowman:

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it looks like it's going to go out to sea on the early frames of the DGEX. But it's ridiculously more amplified compared to it's 06z run..and way further west.

I think of amplitude as the distance from midpoint to crest or trough. And I don't see too much change in wave amplitude on the 18z.

But like you say, differences are significant this run. What I see is higher heights on the east coast and a dominant "northern stream." This run, unlike the 12z, appears to squash the "southern stream" s/w, which somewhat paradoxically allows for a stronger s/w ridge downstream - which now appears essential. To me this evolution looks similar to other guidance that eventually develop a strong coastal low.

Question: Weren't we experiencing similar hype about a big weekend storm just a week ago? I feel like we are headed for a similar let down. As not having a technical training in Meteorology, could someone enlighten me on why some seem more sure about this one since it seems the models are not yet in total agreement yet?

No blowing snow warning.

Not sure if they'd coalesce the High WInd and Blizzard Warnings into a simple Blizzard Warning, but they might. I've heard of that being done before.

That's the way it's supposed to be done if the blizzard conditions and high wind occur simultaneously.

Last week the Euro only had one really good run and yes it was only 72 hours before but it didn't have any model support and quickly followed suit with an OTS solution. Yes the same thing could happen but you have to have some faith in the consistency and the other models seeming shift towards it.

Question: Weren't we experiencing similar hype about a big weekend storm just a week ago? I feel like we are headed for a similar let down. As not having a technical training in Meteorology, could someone enlighten me on why some seem more sure about this one since it seems the models are not yet in total agreement yet?

Some similiarities, but there was definitely much less confidence this far out. Most of the models had either been flip flopping back and forth or gone completely away from a coastal solution. There was no consistency like theres been with the Euro and this storm.

look at our little monster getting ready to come ashore in So Cal. Think it will be closed near the four corners? I do looking at water vapor imagery.

http://www.nws.noaa....age=wv&hours=24

The more of it we get on shore, the better our modeling will be. The model cycle following when our energy comes on shore will start the final leg of the race.

Last week the Euro only had one really good run and yes it was only 72 hours before but it didn't have any model support and quickly followed suit with an OTS solution. Yes the same thing could happen but you have to have some faith in the consistency and the other models seeming shift towards it.

Thank you for the clarification!

Archived