Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people are saying a quicker phase results in a more ots solution? Can some explain if this is true

I do not believe it is true, and i can explain it in this manner.

A stronger storm is one that has phasing, and should it phase more west, or earlier this would allow for a more amplified storm which would track further west. A late phase, or no phase results in a storm that slide out to sea.

Once again, take this at face value, and hopefully a meteorologist, or one of the students can affirm this.

From the analysis of the mets this one on this run sounds like it's going out to sea...

I don't know, the trough looks somewhat rounded but it's amplifying still with impressive ridging out ahead of it, and it's becoming more neutrally/negatively tilted. It might be more the Miller B kind of storm that slams New England.

it might be best to take this all the way out to 84, as far as we can, and that will give us the best idea of how it might possibly extrapolate.. the thing is that the NAM is definitely still in it's digging phase, so it's tough to definitively say how it's going to evolve

Agreed, still digging at 75. Tons of energy still dropping down the PNA ridge, trough starting to sharpen.

At 69 hrs snow has started in basically the western 2/3 of PA and Ohio is getting snow. Wow, big differences this run.

the NAM past 60 hours has about as much reliability as an rusted car sitting on cement blocks in a junkyard. NAM > 60 hours is not very reliable and there will probably be more "big differences" tomorrow.

Its not about a "quicker phase" having it kick ots, its about the southern s/w moving too quickly and not allowing enough time for the northern stream to phase thus scooting it ots (this and the fact that if the southern s/w speeds up the enrgy may shoot underneath the confluence from the large low to the NE.

This is the reason why the slower euro shows a massive hit. We don't want the southern s/w to move too quickly.

I do not believe it is true, and i can explain it in this manner.

A stronger storm is one that has phasing, and should it phase more west, or earlier this would allow for a more amplified storm which would track further west. A late phase, or no phase results in a storm that slide out to sea.

Once again, take this at face value, and hopefully a meteorologist, or one of the students can affirm this.

Yea, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy..overall though this run looks better.

I'm not even sure what it's sounding like...the general analysis is up and down but the mets seem to think that this one is OTS.

IMO, no question this run is better than the 18z and prior. Its much deeper with the northern stream trough/phase and the surface low is further NW. Not sure this will be a hit, but much better than the prior run. Actually this has snow beginning near PHL by late Christmas evening.

Honestly, I think it's much better if the southern stream gets phased in after entering the Gulf...it won't be able to gain as much moisture if it phases too early, and plus the huge jet streak that comes down from Canada won't be able to impact the storm as much, since it would be placed further north relative to the time where the storm is phasing.

Archived