12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine the amount of warnings you'd see on the Jersey coast if this solution verified

Blizzard Warning

High Wind Warning

Storm Warning

Blowing Snow Warning

Coastal Flood Warning

am I missing anything?

No blowing snow warning.

Not sure if they'd coalesce the High WInd and Blizzard Warnings into a simple Blizzard Warning, but they might. I've heard of that being done before.

Sorry if its been posted already but looks like Upton's discussion is updated

305 PM EST WED DEC 22 2010

.SYNOPSIS...

-- Changed Discussion --A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SOUTH OF NEWFOUNDLAND WILL SLOWLY MOVE

NORTH AND EAST THIS WEEK. MEANWHILE HIGH PRESSURE OVER SOUTH CENTRAL

CANADA AND THE MIDWEST WILL SLOWLY BUILD EAST. LOW PRESSURE OVER

THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY CHRISTMAS EVE IS FORECAST TO MOVE OFF

THE SOUTHEAST COAST CHRISTMAS NIGHT...THEN INTENSIFY AS IT TRACKS

NORTHEAST. THIS LOW IS FORECAST TO PASS NEAR THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT AND

MONDAY.-- End Changed Discussion --

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --BIG QUESTION THIS TIME FRAME IS HOW QUICKLY UPPER LOW CLOSES OFF AND

AMPLIFIES...WHICH WILL HAVE A HUGE IMPACT AND SFC LOW TRACK AND

STRENGTH. WILL FOLLOW HPC GUIDANCE...WITH A SFC LOW TRACK BETWEEN

OPERATIONAL NEW AND PREVIOUS RUN OF THE ECMWF AND OP GFS. THIS TRACK

HAS SUPPORT FROM MANY ENSEMBLE MEMBERS.

BEST GUESS FOR THIS FORECAST IS A SLIGHTLY FASTER TRACK THAN OP

ECMWF...AND JUST TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE BENCHMARK.

NEED TO EMPHASIZE THAT PLENTY OF UNCERTAINTY REMAINS...AND A SHIFT

EAST OR WEST WILL HAVE A HUGE IMPACT ON FORECAST...BUT TIMING IS

BECOMING MORE CERTAIN...WITH A DELAY INTO SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

SFC LOW INITIALLY SOUTH INTO THE GULF WILL MOVE NORTHEAST TOWARD A

POSITION OFF THE MID ATLC/SE COAST BY SUNDAY MORNING. THIS DEPENDS

ON AMPLIFICATION OF UPPER TROUGH/CLOSED LOW. POTENTIAL FOR EXPLOSIVE

DEVELOPMENT OF THE SFC LOW AS IT TRACKS SOUTHEAST OF THE AREA LATE

SUNDAY AND MONDAY. WILL CONTINUE TO LAYER POPS FROM HIGHEST S/SE TO

LOWEST N/NW. FWIW...GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN QPF 1/2 TO 3/4 OF AN INCH OF

QPF...HIGHEST EAST. NEW OP ECMWF QUITE WET.

FOR NOW WILL CAP POPS IN OUR CWA AT HIGH CHANCE/LOW LIKELY FOR NOW.

AS FOR TEMPS...COLD ENOUGH FOR ALL SNOW. WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW

BELOW NORMAL GUIDANCE FOR TEMPS.

BY TUESDAY...THE UPPER LOW AND ASSOCIATED SFC LOW TRAVERSE TO THE

EAST WITH DEEP NORTHWEST FLOW IN ITS WAKE. WILL END ANY PRECIP

CHANCES BY TUESDAY...AND DRY WEATHER CONTINUES INTO WEDNESDAY AS

RIDGING BUILDS FROM THE WEST.-- End Changed Discussion --

The NAM is way more amplified with the trough in general..including the heights on the east coast and the energy diving into the Plains..when compared to the GFS. With the GFS being a glancing blow..the NAM may very well bring this up the coast.

Actually...

NAM doesn't look great. It is the 18Z NAM, so I don't care, but it is way too positively tilted and has too much of an easterly component to the trough digging through the plains. This solution would still be way OTS. Positive trend from 12Z? Perhaps, but it still would suck in the end. Personally I don't think it matters, NAM will come around sooner or later.

just curious what kind of surface winds would be depicted over the area with euro.

from jmister:

According to the 12z Euro, 10m winds are sustained at 50-55kt along the NJ coast and LI. Even 35kt around PHL at hour 114. 10m wind gusts get up to 55-60kt around the PHL area and closer to 70kt along the coast! Extremely impressive storm

The NAM is way more amplified with the trough in general..including the heights on the east coast and the energy diving into the Plains..when compared to the GFS. With the GFS being a glancing blow..the NAM may very well bring this up the coast.

It doesn't look terribly different from the 12z GFS. I don't think it would be any further east than the GFS, which is fine at this stage of the game.

There are aspects of each model that I prefer. The NAM has slightly higher heights along the east coast and is a hair further west with the trof axis. But the GFS has a sharper trof as opposed to the NAM's more broad curvature, and better shortwave timing - on the NAM, the first piece is slightly faster, and 2nd piece slightly slower. But the two are close enough and both threatening.

It doesn't look terribly different from the 12z GFS. I don't think it would be any further east than the GFS, which is fine at this stage of the game.

The NAM is 200 miles further west with the shortwave energy digging into the N Plains and also further northwest with amplification on the east coast.

GFS

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_500_090s.gif

NAM

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/18/images/nam_500_084s.gif

The NAM is 200 miles further west with the shortwave energy digging into the N Plains and also further northwest with amplification on the east coast.

GFS

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_500_090s.gif

NAM

http://www.nco.ncep....am_500_084s.gif

I agree with both points. At worst it's the GFS. Probably a bit further west if it were to play out.

from jmister:

According to the 12z Euro, 10m winds are sustained at 50-55kt along the NJ coast and LI. Even 35kt around PHL at hour 114. 10m wind gusts get up to 55-60kt around the PHL area and closer to 70kt along the coast! Extremely impressive storm

Very interesting. It has been quite some time since we have seen winds like that accompany a snow storm. Let's hope future runs of the Euro stay the course.

GFS

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_500_090s.gif

NAM

http://www.nco.ncep....am_500_084s.gif

Yes, further west but also later and at an angle that promotes broadening instead of sharpening and tilting. It's kind of a wash. But the NAM looks a bit better than I expected and moderately good overall. When it finally shows a hit tomorrow the QPF is going to look insane.

Yes, further west but also later and at an angle that promotes broadening instead of sharpening and tilting. It's kind of a wash. But the NAM looks a bit better than I expected and moderately good overall. When it finally shows a hit tomorrow the QPF is going to look insane.

The big picture on the NAM is that it's not perfect, but better, and trended toward the Euro. Good enuf. Think we can all be happy with that at 100 hours.

Archived