Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

3 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Yeah...darn it!  My son is coming home today and heading back to Oregon New Years.  I was hoping to do some skiing with him but it doesn't look great.

There’s snow expected in the Northern Greens heading into tomorrow – PF made a quick update in the NNE thread, there are some additional posts there now as well, and PF has a detailed discussion of the upslope potential at Braatencast.

41 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I think the carpet allows the lift to run at a faster speed than otherwise.

Yes.  The carpet at Berkshire East (which I dislike) allows for a relatively quick moving fixed grip quad.   I don't see the point of a carpet for a detachable lift that's hardly moving at loading time.  

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And I love me a good bubble chair.  Don't need the heated seats, but bubbles are the bomb

Funny, I disagree. I ski to be outdoors, looking out at the mountains through a blue tinge seems criminal especially at a place like Big Sky.

I always say that the biggest equipment improvement over my skiing life which began in mid-70s is clothing. If you dress right these days, you can avoid getting cold even on the coldest and windiest days.

13 minutes ago, Angus said:

Funny, I disagree. I ski to be outdoors, looking out at the mountains through a blue tinge seems criminal especially at a place like Big Sky.

I always say that the biggest equipment improvement over my skiing life which began in mid-70s is clothing. If you dress right these days, you can avoid getting cold even on the coldest and windiest days.

I don’t ski but I snowmobile and I agree about the clothing. I’m rarely, if ever, cold when I ride. The clothing so much less bulky, your movement is less restricted and it is much more waterproof. 

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Also slows load time which is the bane of customers, seen more wrecks on the carpet though so i don't know who is selling that idea

It is documented, but yeah there are going to be stops with either method.  Ski areas do record stops per day on all their lifts and find trends/reasons for stops.  The load carpet idea seems to help with reducing stops and thus increasing average uphill capacity.  Industry wide it seems to help a lot with beginner skiers. 

33 minutes ago, Angus said:

Go orange...

Seriously, I hear ya, and you can lift up the bubble if needed.  There is one lift on WaWa that really needs the bubble...not the summit one, but the mid level one on the right side, the wind is always howling going up that. I don’t mind the cold if there is no wind. Not much view there anyway.

The bubble at Okemo sold me

I have yet to ski downhill this season. I have a season's pass at Wachusett but haven't picked it up. I did ski today at the weston ski track...think an oval, slightly larger in area than the area of a track...around and around in circles! I hope the damage up north isn't too bad...would like to get a day in sometime between xmas and new year when my son is back home.

I’m really bummed about this Friday. I haven’t been up to Vermont in 2 weeks and I’m planning on staying Friday night through Monday. I think the pack can survive but the real question is does it soak up a ton of water and then freeze up. That’s the ultimate disaster like we saw last presidents weekend.

11 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m really bummed about this Friday. I haven’t been up to Vermont in 2 weeks and I’m planning on staying Friday night through Monday. I think the pack can survive but the real question is does it soak up a ton of water and then freeze up. That’s the ultimate disaster like we saw last presidents weekend.

Disastah

usually , northern Vermont has the upslope resurface machine that makes cutters not as awful as in NH

Some models shows a couple inches of powder Saturday-nite that helps extreme northern greens , that should help at Jay and probably down to Stowe 

On 12/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, Angus said:

I have yet to ski downhill this season. I have a season's pass at Wachusett but haven't picked it up. I did ski today at the weston ski track...think an oval, slightly larger in area than the area of a track...around and around in circles! I hope the damage up north isn't too bad...would like to get a day in sometime between xmas and new year when my son is back home.

Do they do snowmaking there?  

Sunapee has large snowmaking capacity but I've notice from just looking at the occasional snow report they appear to have been very conservative this year. Ragged close by has more trails open and they are always behind in opening terrain...this could be deceptive given how trails are now split lower, middle and upper - but in years past Sunapee would really get after it. Probably something to do with them being acquired. If you can go when there arent crowds, Sunapee is lower intermediate-intermediate skier paradise...managable terrain, good grooming and snowmaking.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Disastah

usually , northern Vermont has the upslope resurface machine that makes cutters not as awful as in NH

Some models shows a couple inches of powder Saturday-nite that helps extreme northern greens , that should help at Jay and probably down to Stowe 

This was a pretty bad cutter as it was a soaking 2 inches of rain combined with temps around 50 at the ski resorts.. I suspect major damage was done to the snowpack. 

Now I hear talks of another potential cutter on the 28th, yikes!!  I already booked a room to hit Killington next weekend.

Hopefully that will trend colder and at least spare the ski resorts. After an amazing epic start to the season, we are now having some setbacks. As you mention, the northern greens are more resilient with their special microclimate snow machine, but that’s at least a 6 hour drive from LI, LOL. 

Skiing is a great way to get a snow fix when it’s not happening on the coastal plain. But this Rains to Maines business ain’t no fun. 

Looking forward to the pattern change that 40/70 Benchmark and others are talking about.  Bring it!

-Jason 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Jay Peak claiming they only lost 10 trails and are "expecting a foot by tomorrow morning". Jay's reporting is the worst but this winter it wouldn't surprise me if they did get 12" tonight.

i'm up at stowe with my family contemplating the drive tomorrow.  Stowe was tough today...guess I'll check int he morning and see what's what.

7 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Jay Peak claiming they only lost 10 trails and are "expecting a foot by tomorrow morning". Jay's reporting is the worst but this winter it wouldn't surprise me if they did get 12" tonight.

Not sure about the 12” tonight but I was surprised how much snow remained where I was tonight about 15-20 miles northeast of Stowe in Woodbury, VT. Snowed the entire time I was there too. 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:41 AM, mreaves said:

Not sure about the 12” tonight but I was surprised how much snow remained where I was tonight about 15-20 miles northeast of Stowe in Woodbury, VT. Snowed the entire time I was there too. 

Looks ESE of Stowe on map :) , looked it up bc I’m curios about a lot of those areas ..NE Vermont has very few reporting stations and such a large chunk of elevated spots 

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looks ESE of Stowe on map :) , looked it up bc I’m curios about a lot of those areas ..NE Vermont has very few reporting stations and such a large chunk of elevated spots 

That makes sense. I never think Stowe is as far up 100 from Waterbury as it actually is. Woodbury gets a lot of snow. It’s 2 ridges over from Stowe. The camp I go to during deer season is on Buffalo Mountain. The view catches a small piece of Mansfield all the way up to Jay Peak. Woodbury also has more lakes and ponds than any other town in the state. 

• Thanks 1