Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Mixing level ended up being low, even lower than some guidance showed.

Yeah.  They were at 92 at 1pm, and only managed 1 more degree lol.  That with zero clouds, unlike the prior heat spell that had numerous cu popping up by noon.

Looks like some weakening Iowa slopping seconds tomorrow night, and then on Sunday the best convection will fire east of the cwa.  #2018

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Highest ASOS dew I've seen in this area was 81 at Sterling around 4pm.  Clinton is also ASOS now, and they hit 80 a few times.  MLI and SPI also up to 80 on the latest ob.

Just stood outside for about 5 minutes and took in the 80 degree dews.  :lol:  It is harder to pull off around here since there aren't corn fields across the street.  First 80 degree dew I've felt since my days in LAF. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Just stood outside for about 5 minutes and took in the 80 degree dews.  :lol:  It is harder to pull off around here since there aren't corn fields across the street.  First 80 degree dew I've felt since my days in LAF. 

Great for the skin! lol.  Was walking across a large parking lot earlier, and the temp above that asphalt had to be over 100.  That combined with the dews which were close to 80 made it almost hard to breathe.  Heat index was probably well over 120 at that spot.  

19 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Great for the skin! lol.  Was walking across a large parking lot earlier, and the temp above that asphalt had to be over 100.  That combined with the dews which were close to 80 made it almost hard to breathe.  Heat index was probably well over 120 at that spot.  

Definitely feels a bit different compared to when dews are around 70.  I was able to feel the clammy skin starting even after just a few minutes of standing around.

Somebody had just gone outside to mow their grass when I was out.  They are going to be mowing in the dark lol

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Are you on board with an 80 degree low at ORD tonight?  I still think it is more likely than not, and have noticed that the models have a tendency to drop temps in the city too quickly.  The HRRR gets it down to about 78, even with a ~7 degree drop between 7 and 9 pm tonight, which is unlikely to happen.

As expected, actual drop from 7-9 pm:  4 degrees

brutal

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville, IL
928 PM CDT Fri Jun 29 2018

.UPDATE...
928 PM CDT

No real changes planned to going forecast. Chicago Midway`s heat
index is still sitting at 104 after 9 pm. It is this nighttime
heat that doesn`t allow the body to recover from the stress from
the intense daytime heat that poses the most significant danger
during heat waves. It looks as though the heart of the city of
Chicago will see heat indices at or above 100 until around
midnight and probably won`t drop below 90 all night. Anyone
without access to a/c in the city should consider spending time in
air conditioning at times this weekend to lessen the risk from
this heat wave.

- Izzi

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep...you can really see the impacts of UHI at this hour.

9pm:

MDW 89/79

ORD 89/76

JOT 87/81

MLI 85/78

PNT 82/82 :lmao:

DKB 82/78

RFD 82/75

86 at both ORD and MDW.  The rate of descent has slowed to about a degree per hour.  About 7 hours of cooling potential remaining so will need at least an hour or two where it doesn't drop to have lows of 80+.  

While it is not interesting to me as snow and other Winter weather data, I have looked up quite a bit of heat data from the past. Sometimes it was a drier heat and sometimes it was humid, but the heatwaves that we had in the 1930s, 40s and 50s seemed worse and more numerous than what we typically get today. Again I'd have to look up humidity levels which is not always easy to do, but based not just the actual weather data but reading newspaper articles (I subscribe to the free press archives so I can see any daily newspaper since 1837) Some of the heat waves back then were extremely deadly as well as very uncomfortable. The heat waves of July 1936 and August/September 1953 were probably THE most brutal, however the month of July 1955 was almost nonstop searing heat. When you are looking up past weather data if you do not have access to do points or humidity levels, an easy way to get an idea of whether it was humid or dry heat is to look at the low. If it says Hi 95゚ low 62゚ chances are it was a drier heat. If it says Hi 95゚ low 76゚, chances are it was very humid.

I honestly dont know how they survived without AC.

54 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

While it is not interesting to me as snow and other Winter weather data, I have looked up quite a bit of heat data from the past. Sometimes it was a drier heat and sometimes it was humid, but the heatwaves that we had in the 1930s, 40s and 50s seemed worse and more numerous than what we typically get today. Again I'd have to look up humidity levels which is not always easy to do, but based not just the actual weather data but reading newspaper articles (I subscribe to the free press archives so I can see any daily newspaper since 1837) Some of the heat waves back then were extremely deadly as well as very uncomfortable. The heat waves of July 1936 and August/September 1953 were probably THE most brutal, however the month of July 1955 was almost nonstop searing heat. When you are looking up past weather data if you do not have access to do points or humidity levels, an easy way to get an idea of whether it was humid or dry heat is to look at the low. If it says Hi 95゚ low 62゚ chances are it was a drier heat. If it says Hi 95゚ low 76゚, chances are it was very humid.

I honestly dont know how they survived without AC.

The same way NASCAR drivers can race in cars for hours at 130° 

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I dont know anything about NASCAR, but the heat was no joke back then. Many, many died and tons more had heat prostration.

The heat wave coming up is 1 in 20 year type stuff according to BUF NWS. A week straight of mid 90s in Buffalo is something I've never seen in my lifetime. We have the potential to hit 100 for the first time in history tomorrow. 

How do these dew points work today? Is it a bit like the temp where if it’s a warmer start you can get higher of a temp than the day before. Cause right now the dew here is already 73. We didn’t make it to 80 yesterday but we also didn’t start out at 73. Anyway, stay cool boys

Archived