Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 8th-9th "winter" storm?

Malacka11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow that's falling out there now is a far cry from the tiny flakes that were pouring down earlier.  Flakes are much larger now, and it's fluffing up quite nicely.  May be close to an inch now.  Never seen this fluffy of snow fall in mid April before.  Can definitely see how parts of northern IA came in with well over 6" now.

Even with moderate snowfall the past 30 minutes or so the snow still refuses to stick to the paved areas even with it being 29 degrees and at night.  The warmth from the sun the past few days has definitely made a lasting impact.  Grassy and elevated surfaces though are accumulating quite nicely.  Trees are being caked up with snow.  Should make for a fun time lapse tomorrow capturing the rapid melt off.

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Even with moderate snowfall the past 30 minutes or so the snow still refuses to stick to the paved areas even with it being 29 degrees and at night.  The warmth from the sun the past few days has definitely made a lasting impact.  Grassy and elevated surfaces though are accumulating quite nicely.  Trees are being caked up with snow.  Should make for a fun time lapse tomorrow capturing the rapid melt off.

Fluffy snow that won't stick to the pavement is kind of an interesting contradiction.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fluffy snow that won't stick to the pavement is kind of an interesting contradiction.

Yeah it's a bit strange.  Don't think I've ever seen snow have such a hard time accumulating on pavement in a subfreezing environment at night before.  Usually if it's below freezing and snowing at a reasonable clip the snow will stick after a short time.  Guess the ground must really be radiating some heat despite the relative cold pattern we've been in.

Pic from a bit ago.

28cesjk.jpg

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Time lapse would indeed be interesting. On Friday my drive to work, April or not, was a gorgeous winter wonderland. My desk faces a big window and there are tons of various varieties of evergreens and conifers for a view. The view is spectacular much of the winter and Friday was no different. We had a morning standup meeting at 9am with the window providing a background and even my boss commented that it looked pretty despite not wanting anymore snow. After the quick meeting I went back to my desk and did some work. My desk partner faces the window, my back is to the window. I didnt turn around for a few hours. Got up to go to the bathroom at like 1115am. It was completely gone. As if I'd fallen asleep and woken up. Not at all like winter thaws where the snow turns dirty and takes days to melt. Literally from courier and Ives to nothing in a few hours. 

I finished with 3.6 inches of snow and 0.19" of liquid.  That's a mid-winter-like 19 to 1 ratio in almost mid April.  The snow barely accumulated on the pavement, though, so no shoveling will be necessary.

This system really could have been something special if the earlier model runs painting 0.50" qpf through the area had panned out.

1 hour ago, ams30721us said:

Emded up with about 2.6" here with 3-5" amounts just to my west and south! Not bad for April 9th!

Speaking of fluff factor, DVN saying we had near 20:1 ratios overnight in spots! Uhm, where was this in December and January when we were beggin for 15:1 ratios haha 

Yep...and it just reinforces the idea that snow ratios have more to do with where the lift is located and/or the depth of the DGZ, as opposed to temperature.

41 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

2.0" at ORD, which is the biggest April snow since 4/5/2009.

Also, this appears to be the 7th biggest snow on record for so late in the season.  Here is the list of Chicago's 2.0" or greater snowfalls on April 9th or later.  The list could be off a bit, since I only did a quick glance at the climate records. 

(1) 5.4" on 4/16/1961

(2) 3.1" on 4/23/1967

(3) 3.0" on 4/11/2007

(4) 2.5" on 4/25/1910

(5) 2.2" on 4/14/1980

(6) 2.0" on 4/19/1888

23 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Also, this appears to be the 7th biggest snow on record for so late in the season.  Here is the list of Chicago's 2.0" or greater snowfalls on April 9th or later.  The list could be off a bit, since I only did a quick glance at the climate records. 

(1) 5.4" on 4/16/1961

(2) 3.1" on 4/23/1967

(3) 3.0" on 4/11/2007

(4) 2.5" on 4/25/1910

(5) 2.2" on 4/14/1980

(6) 2.0" on 4/19/1888

There are a couple 2" snows missing since they fell on the same day but aren't daily records.  2.3" on 4/11/1957 and 2.1" on 4/23/1910

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Ratios were definitely high with this event. Some of the highest of the season around here, and that I can remember in April...

ORD had 2.0" snow off 0.10" Liquid, for a ratio of 20:1.

Well we finally made up for the Chritmas eve fiasco that was basically 8:1 at 15 degrees.:axe:

The transient April sun has absolutely decimated the 3.3" of snowfall I received from this event. It's now down to shallow patches in shaded areas. 

This system also brings my total to 40.0" flat for the season. Combined with the event a week ago(forgot the day that left about a 1/2" of accumulation on grassy surfaces) If this winter could stop any time now, that'd be great.

Archived