• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

:facepalm:   Ekster should know better. 

:lol:

I know when I'm Ginxy's age (:ph34r:) I'm not going to look back and wish I hadn't spent these first 6 weeks with my kid, so I don't really feel too bad. 

Plus FMLA is pretty flexible if I need to opt back into working in an emergency (like 6/1/11). 

45 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There will be at least 1 and possibly 2 days with dews into the 60’s

Friday is the most likely day for that... 

The trouble is (for the general reader) there is uncertainty as to theta-e (which is what DP is ...) transport into a relative dry geology - resident soil moisture is an important variable in the total equation of atmospheric moisture ...  That's why hovering over a corn field in the first week of July you can get DPs in the low to mid 80s -- Part of that is also called 'evapotranspiration' which is the moisture that is transported off foliage that has greened up and leafed out...  We are lacking the latter factor during this heat this week... We do, however, have the soil moisture component to work with, due to being fairly wet in the weeks leading.  Plus, the air transport is a 'continental conveyance' ... and having moved from regions that may have more of these other factors in play. 

Earth can actually absorb moisture from the lower boundary layer... it's part and parcel in why there is a semi- permanent dry line in west Texas, where the arid plateau air abuts the Gulf inflow channel out ahead of cyclones...  It's actually pretty interesting how micro-physics integrated can effect the whole... Anyway, we'll see on DPs but without the greened up land mass NE of Columbus OH (roughly)... curious how well a hot sector theta-e verifies.   By the time we get to Friday ... compression/stronger winds along the leading region ahead of boundary my help elevate the theta-e in that channel -

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My biggest issue if I was to be in the same situation as I was in the early 80s with kids,  would be my work load when I got back. As it is now if I take any time off my phone is constantly ringing or emails, texts. In 3.5 years I will sever the ties for good. I ain't gonna waste the last years of my life beholden to anyone. The calendar is checked off daily now.

Can’t blame you.  I chose to keep working for now but the power of knowing you can pull the plug at any time is a game changer.   Suddenly you realize your value to the organization.   Also, I started observing those in my age cohort retired and not.  The working crowd were generally doing better mentally and physically but that may be self selecting.  I’m looking at it in 6 month increments now so it won’t be that much longer.   But I like what I do, love the people I work with and have good flexibility if I need a vacation day.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Coldest April in ORH since 1975...looks like this month will finish 6th coldest April on record.

Pretty amazing it's not # 1 going by the psycho-babble angle - heh. 

What are we talkin' 'bout ...decimals separating ?    I'm curious if # 1 was some kind of super freak -

Amusing to think that this time next week ...May could be +15 on the month even if only a week old -

2.5" of wet snow this morning on the colder surfaces. We never got into the good synoptic lift like they did further west, so the more aggressive meso models didn't come close to verifying and the snow we had overnight was on the light side.

That said, I think we're done here. It was an epic run since I moved in on March 1st, but it's time to move on. Lawn needs to go in, dead trees to cut down, debris burned, and the list goes on. 

Given the surrounding COOP observations and Mt. Snow's 200" season, I think it's safe to assume I had at least 200" for the season here as well since DJF probably had about 100". 

IMG_0470.JPG

1 minute ago, wxmanmitch said:

2.5" of wet snow this morning on the colder surfaces. We never got into the good synoptic lift like they did further west, so the more aggressive meso models didn't come close to verifying and the snow we had overnight was on the light side.

That said, I think we're done here. It was an epic run since I moved in on March 1st, but it's time to move on. Lawn needs to go in, dead trees to cut down, debris burned, and the list goes on. 

Given the surrounding COOP observations and Mt. Snow's 200" season, I think it's safe to assume I had at least 200" for the season here as well since DJF probably had about 100". 

IMG_0470.JPG

If you're gonna get snow, at least make it worthy like that. 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Pretty amazing it's not # 1 going by the psycho-babble angle - heh. 

What are we talkin' 'bout ...decimals separating ?    I'm curious if # 1 was some kind of super freak -

Amusing to think that this time next week ...May could be +15 on the month even if only a week old -

Current avg temp at ORH for April 40.9...1972 was coldest at 40.3F

1. 1972 40.3

2. 1956 40.6

3. 1943 40.7

4. 1975, 1926 40.8

6. 2018 40.9

Today won't move the needle much since it's a pretty cold day. Maybe move it up a tenth or two, but that wouldn't change the standing since 7th place is 41.4.

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Friday is the most likely day for that... 

The trouble is (for the general reader) there is uncertainty as to theta-e (which is what DP is ...) transport into a relative dry geology - resident soil moisture is an important variable in the total equation of atmospheric moisture ...  That's why hovering over a corn field in the first week of July you can get DPs in the low to mid 80s -- Part of that is also called 'evapotranspiration' which is the moisture that is transported off foliage that has greened up and leafed out...  We are lacking the latter factor during this heat this week... We do, however, have the soil moisture component to work with, due to being fairly wet in the weeks leading.  Plus, the air transport is a 'continental conveyance' ... and having moved from regions that may have more of these other factors in play. 

Earth can actually absorb moisture from the lower boundary layer... it's part and parcel in why there is a semi- permanent dry line in west Texas, where the arid plateau air abuts the Gulf inflow channel out ahead of cyclones...  It's actually pretty interesting how micro-physics integrated can effect the whole... Anyway, we'll see on DPs but without the greened up land mass NE of Columbus OH (roughly)... curious how well a hot sector theta-e verifies.   By the time we get to Friday ... compression/stronger winds along the leading region ahead of boundary my help elevate the theta-e in that channel -

This is actually the first week that we're going to open the GoM to transport dews north. It will be interesting to see how far they can make it. Because so far today they are running below model forecasts in the Central and Northern Plains. If we can get widespread dews in the 60s into the DSM area tomorrow, then we probably have a chance to roll those over into our area.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1. 1972 40.3

2. 1956 40.6

3. 1943 40.7

4. 1975, 1926 40.8

6. 2018 40.9

Today won't move the needle much since it's a pretty cold day. Maybe move it up a tenth or two, but that wouldn't change the standing since 7th place is 41.4.

May not move it at all. Min of 35F this morning and the MET is only 46F today.

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is actually the first week that we're going to open the GoM to transport dews north. It will be interesting to see how far they can make it. Because so far today they are running below model forecasts in the Central and Northern Plains. If we can get widespread dews in the 60s into the DSM area tomorrow, then we probably have a chance to roll those over into our area.

Yeah it's been a silent sort of study for me ... stealthily observing that in the models vs verification and so forth as I covet my nerdliness...  Thing is, I recall some early heat patterns over the years... some as early as late March - and actually we had the freak-show warm pop back in February. But by and large, (as you obviously know all this) we get these early ridges with hot conveyors in a dearth of theta-e.  I've seen 87/20 up here on more than one or two occasions from that sort of thing. 

But, it's getting late-ish in the year.  Green up (you'd think) is well -enough along SW/source that some of that Gulf tap might have a chance?  I do think our antecedent wet ground may help some.  Yesterday, mid day, we had the cool instability showers then the sun cut through for a few and steam immediately rolled off the streets and roof tops - missed seeing that, sign of warm season.  

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1. 1972 40.3

2. 1956 40.6

3. 1943 40.7

4. 1975, 1926 40.8

6. 2018 40.9

Yeah that's kinda what I thought ..decimals... We're number 6 based upon (most likely..) dumb luck and a boot-leg sneaky warm day but it is what it is I suppose.  We did have a 72 F Friday a couple weeks back - I remember the temp but not so much the circumstance contributing. I think it was a lag CAA type thing where we d-slope dandied maybe but don't quote me.  But one day of positive may be enough to move the decimal a click or two.  It's interesting how orderly that distribution is... 6-7-8-9 ... '72 is the outlier 'freak' I guess.  

18 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

IMG_0470.JPG

Despite my handle on here, I'm not sure I could hand that wx every spring. More power to you though.

Are you in an elevated hollow? If so I would really blow my brains out if I had to deal with rad cooling up there in the middle of summer too. If 32F just comes and goes with advection every fall and spring at least the growing season wouldn't be much different than here. Melt the pack and just get right into growing without some May 23rd calm 31F BS.

26 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Mitch ..that photo is stunning!   If it were not for the septic exhaust pipe lower right that's a keeper :) 

Kidding, but you could certainly crop that out and perhaps save this image - ... unwant of winter aside ...you'd have to be a zombie not to appreciate that picture.  Gorgeous -

The NAM's FRH grid (FOUS) shows 30 straight hours of constant temp rise starting dawn tomorrow ending Wednesday evening or mid afternoon... Typically you add about 4 C to the surface 2-meter in well mixed environments; which since dawn, tomorrow is not, but Wed afternoon will be, that's probably in reality a 2-meter of +5 C to 27 or even 29 C on this run of the NAM. 

In lay terms... 41 or 42 F to 82 for Logan... I think Logan may even have some indirect S ocean exposure in those numbers cuz the wind is 230 which may be a bit steep. If we can bend that west just a little, that 25 C (or 29 2-meter) in ALB translates farther E and probably does anyway as far as ASH/FIT/BED, which would be N of any indirect contamination from the L.I. Sound.  

That's pretty impressive example of compressing seasonal change into a 24 hour window!  come on -

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah that's kinda what I thought ..decimals... We're number 6 based upon (most likely..) dumb luck and a boot-leg sneaky warm day but it is what it is I suppose.  We did have a 72 F Friday a couple weeks back - I remember the temp but not so much the circumstance contributing. I think it was a lag CAA type thing where we d-slope dandied maybe but don't quote me.  But one day of positive may be enough to move the decimal a click or two.  It's interesting how orderly that distribution is... 6-7-8-9 ... '72 is the outlier 'freak' I guess.  

There's also a jump between 6th place and 7th place. 2018 is 40.9 but then the next closest is 41.4 in 1940. But yeah, 2nd place through 6th place are all clustered really tightly together.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Can’t blame you.  I chose to keep working for now but the power of knowing you can pull the plug at any time is a game changer.   Suddenly you realize your value to the organization.   Also, I started observing those in my age cohort retired and not.  The working crowd were generally doing better mentally and physically but that may be self selecting.  I’m looking at it in 6 month increments now so it won’t be that much longer.   But I like what I do, love the people I work with and have good flexibility if I need a vacation day.

My main issue is being on call 24/7 for the past 24 years, its wearing.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If it makes you feel any better Will was using both ORH sites and we know the older non airport site was colder so the airport site is 4th on the list. i like to compare apples to apples

1 40.3 1972-04-30 0
2 40.6 1956-04-30 1
3 40.8 1975-04-30 0
4 40.9 2018-04-30 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Not to mention, you have no idea how mom will be physically. My wife was pretty banged up after the deliveries. So you quite possible may have two people to take care of. If I heard that comment..it would take a lot of patience for me not to throw a hay-maker. 

Pretty sure it would not hurt anyone

Archived