Newest Member
    joxey
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

typically those surprises involve rainstorms becoming snowstorms. Here, the models have been fairly aligned and consistent with placement. Meaning, over a 50 mile span from NE to SW you can go from a half inch of slush to 6-7". I'm on the wrong side of that line. But fun to follow one last storm potential for the season irregardless.

27 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Sitting in the 7-10" forecast by DVN at the moment.  If today's guidance continues the trends I'll definitely start to get pretty excited.

Yep, I have been trying to keep quiet after my last start threat debacle within 24 hours lol, but the remarkable consistency and the evolution and track, and the fact that even the hi-res data like the Bamms,Rgem, and RPM are also pretty consistent with the path and amounts, makes me pretty optimistic.

This may be the most significant of the season, with not only amounts, but the fact with that strong easterly fetch, winds will be an issue with this heavy, wet snow so visibilities Saturday morning, along with power outages could make for an interesting end to the season.  

This is looking like a nice one around here. DVN has a nice swath of 7-10” routhly from independence, IA to sterling, IL. I think that may be a hair too north as the overnight guidance is generally a 0.5-1 county south of th forecast. I think I sit in a good spot here. If this transpires, this is gonna be the weirdest statistically average season I can remember.

3 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Puts me now on the NE fringes...though probably not a bad place to be right now. With how narrow the snow band will be, not sure I'd feel comfortable until go time. Should be an interesting one to watch unfold.

Crazy to think how the Midwest winter paradise that is LAF has a shot to pull off 2 big late March storms only 5 years apart... if things hold relatively steady.  

I was just looking at that.  I'm waiting until 00Z runs tonight before getting too excited.  There's a lot of above freezing temps flirting with the line.  Certainly could be a nail biter.
I got 8 inches night before last and even with temps in the 30s and dews well below freezing and the sun really not breaking out till late it was almost all gone by last evening so be prepared for that. It was great to look at for awhile though, a real plastering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Gun to my head, I wouldn't go more than 1-2" here at this point.  Wouldn't take that much of a shift to quickly ramp up to several inches though.  Took a peek at the SREF and over half the members are in the 6-10" range (and not limited to one particular member group as some ARW members are high/low and some NMB members are high/low), but it's not something overwhelming like >75%   

^

normally, I'm full in on your calls. But landscaper just came through on spring clean-up pretty much guarantees enough heavy wet snow and wind to litter the yard with branches and what not. Karma screams a close to event 35 mile shift northeast in metro...

1 minute ago, Baum said:

^

normally, I'm full in on your calls. But landscaper just came through on spring clean-up pretty much guarantees enough heavy wet snow and wind to litter the yard with branches and what not. Karma screams a close to event 35 mile shift northeast in metro...

I hear ya, I cleaned and prepared the snowblower for summer storage last sunday. 

11 minutes ago, Baum said:

^

Not happening with this one. Too much blocking-ish east with the trough/departing east coast system, which will definitely keep this one south of here..and slowly weakening with time and eastward extent.

Question is how far south...GGEM/RGEM/ECMWF are a complete miss for pretty much the entire metro and most of the CWA, with it diving further south. GFS/NAM are more northerly, but still miss a decent portion of the metro with it.

Yikes, pretty impressive to see the Euro, the colder/snowier model in the short range, but Euro really likes the I-80 corridor around the QC, dropping SE across central Illinois and Indiana, meanwhile as stated above the GFS/NAM are a bit further north with the heavier band.

12euro.thumb.png.3433428b3f1f9098a21ac09cb5c7231b.png

12zeurow.png

Archived