• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

NAM 3k is the most agressive with the warm air.  Below are p-type maps for the 00z GFS, 00z ICON, 02z HRRR, 00z 3k NAM, and 18z Swiss model at noon tomorrow.  This site doesn't have the RGEM, but it looks like it was somewhere between the 3k NAM and GFS, possibly closer to the 3k NAM.

Hsy6yQc.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Cmc copy of the gfs. All globals look basically identical now. One left to go for a royal flush. 

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_7.png

One trend I like a lot is guidance suggesting some good snows get in here before 10am Wednesday.  With rates we could overcome radiation but the more we get when that's not an issue the better imo. 

Updating my earlier forecast, seeing slightly more snow potential and heavier overall precip.

Rain to sleet during the day Tuesday, snow line will make slow southward progress but halt near or just north of I-95 before event *** below.

Sleet to snow Tuesday night becoming heavy in most of the region (except central Delmarva, sleet persists there).

Intervals of moderate snow continuing most of Wednesday. 

For DCA, now expecting 1.5" total LE and 5.5" snow

For IAD and BWI, 1.6" total LE and 8.5" snow IAD, 6.5" BWI

For n MD into ne WV and parts of NOVA expecting 1.8" total LE and 10-15" snow. Local 20" max possible. 

For SBY 2.0" total LE and 2.5" snow mostly Wednesday daytime.

*** During Tuesday afternoon to early evening a back-door cold front situation will develop pushing the sleet and snow bands south with thunder likely, winds backing ENE to NNE and quite gusty to 40 knots. This meso-scale cold frontal bulge will probably move as far south as central Chesapeake Bay and RIC before stalling and oscillating for the following few hours before resuming southeast progress and leaving the region by midnight. 

I expect this combination will lead to power outages as tree limbs get weighed down with heavy wet snow and fall across power lines. 

Snow ratios will improve during Wednesday after starting off in the 8:1 range, to 12:1 near the end of the event. 

Updating my earlier forecast, seeing slightly more snow potential and heavier overall precip.
Rain to sleet during the day Tuesday, snow line will make slow southward progress but halt near or just north of I-95 before event *** below.
Sleet to snow Tuesday night becoming heavy in most of the region (except central Delmarva, sleet persists there).
Intervals of moderate snow continuing most of Wednesday. 
For DCA, now expecting 1.5" total LE and 5.5" snow
For IAD and BWI, 1.6" total LE and 8.5" snow IAD, 6.5" BWI
For n MD into ne WV and parts of NOVA expecting 1.8" total LE and 10-15" snow. Local 20" max possible. 
For SBY 2.0" total LE and 2.5" snow mostly Wednesday daytime.
*** During Tuesday afternoon to early evening a back-door cold front situation will develop pushing the sleet and snow bands south with thunder likely, winds backing ENE to NNE and quite gusty to 40 knots. This meso-scale cold frontal bulge will probably move as far south as central Chesapeake Bay and RIC before stalling and oscillating for the following few hours before resuming southeast progress and leaving the region by midnight. 
I expect this combination will lead to power outages as tree limbs get weighed down with heavy wet snow and fall across power lines. 
Snow ratios will improve during Wednesday after starting off in the 8:1 range, to 12:1 near the end of the event. 

What is LE? Another abbreviation for QPF?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ukie is decent but def a nj/NYC jack. Not mad at the run though. HDERPS is killer with banding. I'll go with that one for now. Lol

I'm going to try to stay up for the euro but it's a struggle at this point. 

Wasn't Ukie a little closer to OC last run? Wonder if the EURO will move more towards a nj Jack as well? (GFS was closer to that too, right?)

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wasn't Ukie a little closer to OC last run? Wonder if the EURO will move more towards a nj Jack as well? (GFS was closer to that too, right?)

It's not tucked by 48 hours. After 18z Wednesday its starts to drift east. Would have to see where it is as 36 and 42 hours. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's not tucked by 48 hours. After 18z Wednesday its starts to drift east. Would have to see where it is as 36 and 42 hours. 

You can on meteocentre

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/forecast-systems.php?lang=en&map=na&run=00&mod=ukmet&stn2_type=prog&date_type=dateo&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest

For the record, hdrps  is a legit meso model. It was tested in beta and feedback from Mets was very positive so it was made operational. It's not some random product. It's a high res version of the rgem and has proven to have real value as a meso. I won't blindly say its right but seeing that solution combined with what ive been thinking does makes sense and fits. Could easily be over done with precip but it's hard to ignore how pretty the banded structure is. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived