Newest Member
    joxey
March 7-8 possible snow threat

The Iceman

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, shemATC said:

Ha! yeah, a 10 mile bump in one direction we get 10", 10 miles in the other? 4". :axe:

When does that ever happen though, yeah maybe the last storm there were pockets of big discrepancies. But for our area its all or nothing, it'll come down to how much precip is lost at the onset to mix/rain or where the banding sets up.

Don't sweat the snowmaps

11 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

When does that ever happen though, yeah maybe the last storm there were pockets of big discrepancies. But for our area its all or nothing, it'll come down to how much precip is lost at the onset to mix/rain or where the banding sets up.

Don't sweat the snowmaps

Yes the RGEM looks like it has a few inches in Philly and over a foot here. Snow maps cause a lot of panic.

1 hour ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Good map! my only tweak would be to bring the 12" + line down into NW Montco, Most of Berks and NW Chester County...but they may be concerned about mixing for a while to cut down on totals in those areas...

I don't think they are at all concerned about mixing in those areas, more so they know its a Miller B and the heavier rates will likely be north and east

25 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Well after 18z im sticking with my second call as my final call. Very nervous about verification in my backyard but hoping for the best.

HRRR should ease people in SEPA concerns. Says all snow thru 18 hours with already 8-9 inches of snow on the ground with no rain in sight.

6 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

800MB(southwest) winds are screaming. This has to bring in warmer air from the ocean correct?

I am trying to visualize where the counter-clockwise spinning low would have to be to bring in SW winds unless it is way north and west of the area.  Ocean current warmth would come in on SE winds (with a low due south).

16 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Those are southeasterly winds at 800mb. The CCW flow around the surface low off the coast would advect warmer marine air inland within the LLJ produced by the cyclone. However, CAA on the NW side of the circulation will cross the LLJ layer. generating large scale ascent within the layer between 850-600mb (Formation of the CCB/Deformation axis). Pending the surge of warmer air within the lower profile, areas staying below freezing within that boundary layer will remain all snow and will see heavy snow potential. Areas to the SE are most prone due to the fact they are closest to the marine source, and easily accessible to the warm air intrusion being brought in overhead. It basically all comes down to which models will handle the thermodynamics the best with the storm as we are seeing some agreement now on the evolution at H5. The traditional spots near 95 will be most prone to mixing with even some potential to mix 20-40 miles NW of the interstate. It's something to watch, but there are plenty in here who have the opportunity of a big snow with amounts over a foot possible for areas in Western Chester, NW MoCo, Berks and to the NE into the Lehigh Valley.  

Edit: Changed my "likely" in the last sentence to "possibly". Nothing inevitable in this setup lol 

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

Those are SE winds.  Sucking in off the ocean.  This time of year, that is the "danger" of the late season storms.  The SST off South Jersey is in the low 40s.

Did I type southwest, I meant southeast. They really ramp up right on Bucks County, definitely risk drawing in warm air.

1 minute ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Did I type southwest, I meant southeast. They really ramp up right on Bucks County, definitely risk drawing in warm air.

You're good then.  Yeah this is why the rain/snow line will be critical and may shift/waver inland and back to the coast depending on the low placement.  Near Central Philly & Bucks, the ocean really is only about 50 - 60 miles due east.

Archived