• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, it's gonna be a nail biter down on the south shore tomorrow early afternoon. The hi res RGEM actually took totals down here since we fight back and forth for a time. But after 21z, the CCB looks to swing through and much more of Long Island sees significant totals from that. Riverhead gets something like 8-10" this run vs. 1" last run. 

1 minute ago, Mark McIntyre said:

yep my mother deals almost exclusively with special needs children, whether it be autism, Asperger's, diabetes, CF. Does so much for the kids. And I know that she is worried about having to go to work tomorrow despite having a newer Jeep 4x4. I really really REALLY hope Mayor Zero Vision reconsiders.

Aides are only for special needs kids. It is the most restrictive thing you can do to a kid under the law. But some kids really need them. We'd be unable to run some programs without them.  

Man, it's gonna be a nail biter down on the south shore tomorrow early afternoon. The hi res RGEM actually took totals down here since we fight back and forth for a time. But after 21z, the CCB looks to swing through and much more of Long Island sees significant totals from that. Riverhead gets something like 8-10" this run vs. 1" last run. 
Wow. If that comes to fruition, parts of NYC and Northern LI could see 18+"....

If these colder solutions end up verifying, a lot of people are going to be caught off guard, potential exists for a disastrous evening commute on LI.

It will be bad elsewhere, of course, but I think at this point most people, if not everyone, expects that in the LHV, eastern PA, northern NJ etc

1 minute ago, sferic said:

Can't believe de blasio didn't make an announcement at 11:00PM

5:00 am LAST HOPE BUT BY THEN MANY ARE UP AND READY TO LEAVE..

I hate it when they do this. I work in a private school that follows the public schools for snow closings. On a good day my commute is between 1.25 and 1.45 hours. I love snow; I just hate driving in it. Plus, if my kids' school cancels but my school doesn't -- I'll need to take the day off.

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Yea I couldn’t agree with you more... my wife is public school teacher and I definitely not letting her leave the house regardless of the call.... this could be a major disaster if he chooses not to closebclosed

If these colder solutions end up verifying, a lot of people are going to be caught off guard, potential exists for a disastrous evening commute on LI.
It will be bad elsewhere, of course, but I think at this point most people, if not everyone, expects that in the LHV, eastern PA, northern NJ etc
With the dynamics of this storm we could be talking nearly whiteout conditions at times in some areas during the evening commute...

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Before de Blasio, any school closing- as rare as they were- were always announced at 5:00 am.   For all the bashing the man takes, he was the one who not only has given people more time to plan; he's actually closed the schools several times. 

I was a teacher for 32 years until last June- from the monster storm in January 1993 until I think 2010 or 2012 (can't remember- but it was either 17 or 19 years) we didn't have a single snow day.

1 minute ago, Chet-NYC said:

Before de Blasio, any school closing- as rare as they were- were always announced at 5:00 am.   For all the bashing the man takes, he was the one who not only has given people more time to plan; he's actually closed the schools several times. 

I was a teacher for 32 years until last June- from the monster storm in January 1993 until I think 2010 or 2012 (can't remember- but it was either 17 or 19 years) we didn't have a single snow day.

January 1996 blizzard Monday and Tuesday were closed and delayed opening Wednesday following weekend blizzard

Just now, NJwx85 said:

NYC public schools never used to close, and the world didn’t end. This idea of closing is a new concept and pretty pointless in Manhattan. Outer boroughs are somewhat of a different story.

In Queens, roads are a disaster with just moderate snow falling and an inch or two total. I was stuck a couple of times in December with the small rush-hour clippers that snowed just before and during. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

In Queens, roads are a disaster with just moderate snow falling and an inch or two total. I was stuck a couple of times in December with the small rush-hour clippers that snowed just before and during. 

And in Brooklyn, too. So many of the streets are too narrow to handle the traffic that traverses them.

Pretty safe to say totals will be taken up across the board. Given the trends tonight, Central Park has a decent shot to make it to 12". Immediate shore areas especially western Suffolk/Nassau/Rockaways, jury still out. Hopefully heavier rates can keep the mixing out. Eastern Suffolk now has a shot at the CCB given the 700 low track. Could be a nice finish despite rain for much of the meat of it. 

3 minutes ago, Chet-NYC said:

Bloomberg called one in 2004 in March on a storm that busted. A number of the other storms were on weekends.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Pretty safe to say totals will be taken up across the board. Given the trends tonight, Central Park has a decent shot to make it to 12". Immediate shore areas especially western Suffolk/Nassau/Rockaways, jury still out. Hopefully heavier rates can keep the mixing out. Eastern Suffolk now has a shot at the CCB given the 700 low track. Could be a nice finish despite rain for much of the meat of it. 

Rain for the meat of it where ? Suffolk or most of LI?

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Staten Island is the same story. Secondary and tertiary streets are neglected for days, even weeks. The Boxing Day Blizzard was the absolute worst instance of this.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

NYC public schools never used to close, and the world didn’t end. This idea of closing is a new concept and pretty pointless in Manhattan. Outer boroughs are somewhat of a different story.

The staff can't get in, or can't get home. I remember sitting in a power outage in Elizabeth in the Dec 92 storm all day with a 7th grade class when all the surrounding suburban districts closed early. That was pointless.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived