Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2018 Model Discussion

WeatherFeen2000

56 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The good news is that we probably won't need to worry about this storm being too far East unless the block is so strong that it keeps things suppressed. Right now I don't see that happening at all. You can see the various operational runs struggling with when to kill off that primary low in the Ohio Valley, which is why we need that block. The upside of this storm is very high IMO.

Too early to tell on timeframe? (I know it's way out; just supposed to fly back from Boston at 3 on Tuesday Afternoon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Isn’t that airmass colder than the last 3?

the fri-sat air mass is colder but it rots by monday-tuesday. the high position looks to be near hudson bay for the tuesday storm and the pna drops, so our SE/Atlantic ridge would probably do its dirty work.

2 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

the fri-sat air mass is colder but it rots by monday-tuesday. the high position looks to be near hudson bay for the tuesday storm and the pna drops, so our SE/Atlantic ridge would probably do its dirty work.

I have 39/28 and 36/31 how would that categorize rotting of the cold air... yes definitely not like Friday into Saturday but still cold.  Obviously the CITY would be a different story... I just hope that it doesn't become an inland threat again because the NYC area can't take a 4 disappointment.

Just now, mikem81 said:

This could very well be OTS on the 12Z. This is 5-6 days away. Looking at the model runs is just going to be mentally draining at this point.

It shouldn't be mentally draining... we got about what maybe 3 weeks tops here for something significant so why not go all in and if it doesn't work out then so be it!

5 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

I have 39/28 and 36/31 how would that categorize rotting of the cold air... yes definitely not like Friday into Saturday but still cold.  Obviously the CITY would be a different story... I just hope that it doesn't become an inland threat again because the NYC area can't take a 4 disappointment.

850 anomalies absolutely ease up, as do 2m temps on everything I'm seeing. Depending on storm track and given snow cover up north, there is definitely the potential for freezing rain near you. Way too early to get this cute though. I'm just saying the overall pattern and current ensembles suggest heavy snow would likely be farther N and NE.

24 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

This could very well be OTS on the 12Z. This is 5-6 days away. Looking at the model runs is just going to be mentally draining at this point.

Chances of that are extremely low. This isn't a Miller A, its more of a SWFE/Miller B. The chances of rain on the coast are much higher than a miss E.

21 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

850 anomalies absolutely ease up, as do 2m temps on everything I'm seeing. Depending on storm track and given snow cover up north, there is definitely the potential for freezing rain near you. Way too early to get this cute though. I'm just saying the overall pattern and current ensembles suggest heavy snow would likely be farther N and NE.

Ahhhh please no freezing rain.... I rather 10 inches of sleet LOL

38 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

The only segment of the population in the city and immediate 'burbs that would be disappointed in a wet rather than white storm are the folks here. Any time it doesn't snow down there people are happy.

7 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

At least sleet just bounces off the trees and power lines rather than bringing them down like freezing rain and heavy wet snow. My shoveling self says NO to 10" of sleet ;) 

30 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

It sounds like you're leaning towards the warmer solution a couple of posters above are discussing, is that right? 

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The only segment of the population in the city and immediate 'burbs that would be disappointed in a wet rather than white storm are the folks here. Any time it doesn't snow down there people are happy.

At least sleet just bounces off the trees and power lines rather than bringing them down like freezing rain and heavy wet snow. My shoveling self says NO to 10" of sleet ;) 

It sounds like you're leaning towards the warmer solution a couple of posters above are discussing, is that right? 

oh 10 inches was an exaggeration LOL (at least sleet accumulates). I would never want to shovel 10 inches of sleet and its probably that theoretically possible.  I understand purdue's point this time of the year that would be climate supported... gotta see how strong that block is going to be and this could turn into another nailbitter especially along the coast and NYC area.  

Correct my unedumecated self, but isn't 10" of sleet even worse than 10" of snow because of what it'd do to windows, windshields, and accidents it'd cause from the mass false sense of security on the roads & highways..?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

oh 10 inches was an exaggeration LOL (at least sleet accumulates). I would never want to shovel 10 inches of sleet and its probably that theoretically possible.  

A couple of years ago we had a huge sleet storm to close out the season. I had never seen anything like it. I want to say that it was in that range. The next year the storm to start the season was about 5" of pure sleet. I was absolutely convinced that I hated climate change :lol: 

4 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

Correct my unedumecated self, but isn't 10" of sleet even worse than 10" of snow because of what it'd do to windows, windshields, and accidents it'd cause from the mass false sense of security on the roads & highways..?

Sleet not hail. That kind of damage is associated with hail but even that accumulates on the roads quickly and creates mayhem and sleet is like an instant disaster to travel in if the ground is even just a little bit warm when it starts. 

41 minutes ago, nycemt123 said:

I was not speaking in terms of snow but rather freezing rain versus sleet. Sleet is somewhat possible to drive on but freezing rain is damn near impossible.

36 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

I was not speaking in terms of snow but rather freezing rain versus sleet. Sleet is somewhat possible to drive on but freezing rain is damn near impossible.

If the ground is cold it mostly rolls off the roads for a while until it just starts piling up. At that point you hope your car has enough power and the right tires to get through it. 4WD/AWD is pretty much necessary after ~2".

4 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

If the ground is cold it mostly rolls off the roads for a while until it just starts piling up. At that point you hope your car has enough power and the right tires to get through it. 4WD/AWD is pretty much necessary after ~2".

ya i have a medium sized SUV... Remember the Valentine's Day Sleetfest we had.. thank god that was sleet because freezing rain would of been disastrous.

16 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

And just like that, the 12z GFS has a tremendous storm signal at 150hrs. Some temp issues for sure, but that will change over time.

The Storm has been there the last few runs, just keeps jumping around. See 0Z and 6Z which were on both ends of the 12Z. 0Z was a great track for NYC metro and 6Z was all Rain. 12Z was in between

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

The Storm has been there the last few runs, just keeps jumping around. See 0Z and 6Z which were on both ends of the 12Z. 0Z was a great track for NYC metro and 6Z was all Rain. 12Z was in between

Yes, I expect this flipping around will continue.

12Z GFS looks pretty similar to the 00Z Euro last night - coastl hugger with mix/rain for 95/coast and lots of snow inland, while the CMC just looks weak with a decent track for snow north of about 276/195 in PA/NJ, but nowhere near as much precip (guessing it doesn't explode off the coast).  I assume we're going to see models bounce around for a couple of days until it's clear which low to focus on and how the players and pattern "fit" together synoptically.  Bottom line is the potential is huge, but the outcome will likely be in doubt until we're 2-3 days out (or later, lol).  

And keep in mind that the last 3 storms all three delivered 1-2 feet or more of snow somewhere not far away, even if not for the immediate 95 corridor, i.e., we were only 50 miles off in storm 1 and 60 miles off in storm 3 and came pretty close to a foot or more along 95 in storm 2).  

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived