• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Current Snow Pack and Depths

TugHillMatt

I am often very curious as to what the snowpack is like in other areas. I know others, like our friends Josh and Jonger, are as well. :P I am always interested in how quickly the snow is compacting in other places and whether it's powder, concrete, etc...

Snow Depth here is about a foot. Bottom half is dense and heavy from this weekend's storm, while the top half is fluff from lake enhancement last night and lake effect today.

Now that our ground is nice and frozen below, melting should be a bit a tougher since it won't be aided as much from warm earth.

So...what are conditions like where you live?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Here's mine.  I've seen a lot higher in early February, and I've seen lower.  -15 this morning, with an afternoon high of 10. I have enough wood until mid-march I think... going through it like crazy.

IMG_4103.JPG.b39fb2fc307698dc0395bdc8e68c0974.JPG

I look forward to living somewhere that manages several feet on the ground through winter! Love seeing your pictures.

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

About 4" here.  This just isn't a good snow pack area.  We rarely get good snowfall on top of good snow pack.  It's a nickel/dimer climate and we often get long dry spells with melting between good snowfalls.

Doesn't happen too often, but we've had some winters where we've had a solid snow pack of 1" or more on the ground from early Dec through early March.  For most winters though the snow pack sort of comes and goes like the tide.

10 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

About 4" here.  This just isn't a good snow pack area.  We rarely get good snowfall on top of good snow pack.  It's a nickel/dimer climate and we often get long dry spells with melting between good snowfalls.

You probably have 3X as many sunny days... that murders snowpack.

3 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Sitting around 15" otg imby, pretty rough year for my area with regards to the snowpack, to many torches and not enough LES, in past winters I have been in the mid 30s with snowcover fairly easy. 

The 2 winter's I lived in Antrim Co down there, '12/13 and '13/14, I had a peak depth of 3' on the ground the first winter, and nearly 30" the second winter. The past 3 winter's (not including this year), peak winter depths ranged from 38-52".

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Snow depth right now is 8-9". We had a solid 9" this morning but it has settled some. Our peak depth this winter was 10" in mid-December. We have had 44 days with 1"+ snowcover on the ground this season, so all in all its been a good winter since it is only early Feb.

27544949_10109709797779233_6127820460029

I love it.  Biggest piles on the street! :D

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

The 2 winter's I lived in Antrim Co down there, '12/13 and '13/14, I had a peak depth of 3' on the ground the first winter, and nearly 30" the second winter. The past 3 winter's (not including this year), peak winter depths ranged from 38-52".

Yea, pretty rare for my area not to hit mid 30" at least once or twice during winter.  I have hit 42" peak a few years ago at my old house and that was before December!

Thanks for sharing, all! I'm impressed that Josh has so much in extreme SE Michigan. After this upcoming snowfall, he may very well have more than Northern Lower Michigan on the ground.

I'm sitting at 10 inches here. It has been snowing off the lake all week, but fluff just compacts and compacts as more snow falls.

Looking forward to possibly seeing some more snow pack pics in here! :)

6" here. The highest I've had this year here was 25" back in mid December. Highest in WNY is 2-3' in ski country south of here. Highest in tug hill is 5' and they have 2-4' forecast the next few days. The highest I've ever had living here was 54" back in Nov 2014. If you guys want to see some insanity on the tug check out these cams the next few days. 

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

camgd.php?updatefreq=5&camsite=1&cam=2

17 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Thanks for sharing, all! I'm impressed that Josh has so much in extreme SE Michigan. After this upcoming snowfall, he may very well have more than Northern Lower Michigan on the ground.

I'm sitting at 10 inches here. It has been snowing off the lake all week, but fluff just compacts and compacts as more snow falls.

Looking forward to possibly seeing some more snow pack pics in here! :)

It has been a non stop jackpot in extreme SE Michigan. Tonight and tomorrow will be no different. My guess... he gets 10 inches and I get 5.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

6" here. The highest I've had this year here was 25" back in mid December. Highest in WNY is 2-3' in ski country south of here. Highest in tug hill is 5' and they have 2-4' forecast the next few days. The highest I've ever had living here was 54" back in Nov 2014. If you guys want to see some insanity on the tug check out these cams the next few days. 

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

camgd.php?updatefreq=5&camsite=1&cam=2

I am applying for a job in Watertown today. I will be sure to look towards Copenhagen or East of Adams.... :) 

This week should be interesting to see how the snowpack survives. The freezing rain yesterday here in the GTA might end up saving the snowpack a bit. Forecasted temperatures here are supposed to be 42F and 44F on Wednesday and Thursday. Cool spell, followed by another warm up early next week. 

Luckily, I think we have enough depth to limp along for at least another week with constant snow cover. Next weeks warm up might demolish any remaining snow though. 

Archived