Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter String

George BM

14 hours ago, supernovasky said:

I was and I think so. I’m not lying when I say zero radar returns. I checked too and my radar was working, but it was showing NOTHING. But there was more snow than I’ve seen since moving here.

Same there happened last week when I was out at our house in McHenry. Radar showed nothing and it snowed for hours. Upslope coupled with distance from radar sites as Bob explained. Also NWS Pitt seems to underdo snowfall forecasts generally and/or forecast sunny conditions while its light snow. Lol

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah I agree that the perception is different from the reality. That’s too bad because it enhances the already bad pain for some. 

All that aside, how are you and the family? Hope you all had a happy holiday. We gotta do another meet up. 

We had a great holiday thanks. Stephen is the perfect age to really get into it this year. I really needed the time off too things were crazy for me lately. Hope all is well with you too!  

Right now I'm fighting a nasty cold.  About to get what I need at the store to make some chicken soup. Then just bunker in the rest of the weekend. 

Would love to do another get together. We have to set something up. Was so much fun last time. 

@psuhoffman

I have seen that MD snow map lots over the years, and while overall it is pretty good, its also really wonky in some places. Places along the fall line between DC and Baltimore seem ok. Your area looks about right, but the valley around Frederick seems exaggerated on the low side. Also places near the bay look screwy, especially northern areas like Cecil and Harford counties..no way those areas average the same or even less snow than SBY. And I dont think SBY averages 13-14, probably closer to 10. Interior upper shore where I am is about right..18-19, although that 17" area extending down into Dorchester county is very suspect. I probably knew at one time, but what is the source of that map?

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

@psuhoffman

I have seen that MD snow map lots over the years, and while overall it is pretty good, its also really wonky in some places. Places along the fall line between DC and Baltimore seem ok. Your area looks about right, but the valley around Frederick seems exaggerated on the low side. Also places near the bay look screwy, especially northern areas like Cecil and Harford counties..no way those areas average the same or even less snow than SBY. And I dont think SBY averages 13-14, probably closer to 10. Interior upper shore where I am is about right..18-19, although that 17" area extending down into Dorchester county is very suspect. I probably knew at one time, but what is the source of that map?

You're right but it's the best one there is for our local area. I think it's 90% accurate. At one time it was posted on the nws lwx website and it's a similar style to the old school snow event maps they made in the 90s and early 2000s. Miss those.  So they probably had something to do with it. 

But agree there are some local features that look wonky. Some reasons could be if they used coop data, I do a lot of research with coop sites and they have missing months and or days a lot. It's skews things.

For instance if you just take the Westminster barracks coop it says something like 28" average. But the reason is they were missing quite a few snowstorms in the missing data during the period of record.  When I did some local climo data research years ago I found of you fill in the missing snow using estimates from the closest coops with data for those dates it becomes closer to 35". They used the other Westminster coop and millers just east of me as the two sites on that map because the numbers match.  But similar data issued to what I described could have found their way onto the map in other locations. 

Another thing to consider is if they used some locations without a long period of record then a few fluke events can really skew the number a couple inches in places with a low average. 

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You're right but it's the best one there is for our local area. I think it's 90% accurate. At one time it was posted on the nws lwx website and it's a similar style to the old school snow event maps they made in the 90s and early 2000s. Miss those.  So they probably had something to do with it. 

But agree there are some local features that look wonky. Some reasons could be if they used coop data, I do a lot of research with coop sites and they have missing months and or days a lot. It's skews things.

For instance if you just take the Westminster barracks coop it says something like 28" average. But the reason is they were missing quite a few snowstorms in the missing data during the period of record.  When I did some local climo data research years ago I found of you fill in the missing snow using estimates from the closest coops with data for those dates it becomes closer to 35". They used the other Westminster coop and millers just east of me as the two sites on that map because the numbers match.  But similar data issued to what I described could have found their way onto the map in other locations. 

Another thing to consider is if they used some locations without a long period of record then a few fluke events can really skew the number a couple inches in places with a low average. 

Bingo. The local one here had a BAD tendency to not report on the snowiest days. The result is the city sits in a 'circle' of 10-15" surrounded by the entire western side of state and eastern WV in 25-50" gradients.

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Bingo. The local one here had a BAD tendency to not report on the snowiest days. The result is the city sits in a 'circle' of 10-15" surrounded by the entire western side of state and eastern WV in 25-50" gradients.

Figured that's what happened. The map is mostly accurate but those wonky locations...whoever was tasked with compiling the data probably just pulled the rawl numbers without noticing the issue. 

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Kansas City :lmao: 

Yea...eating my soup and watching the game I tried to be a good sport towards Andy. I have no ill will towards him unlike many eagles fans. I met him a few times at training camp and once when he visited the fans waiting for tickets at the Vet. He seemed like a nice guy. But my god every time I watch him screw up Kansas City in the playoffs it reminds me of all the times he couldn't close the deal for some darn good Eagles teams. Can't blame him for all the losses. The road loss to the rams wasn't his fault. But he lost in the NFC championship game as the favorite 3 times. A few other divisional round duds.  He seemed to just lock up in those big moments. Take a stupid risk when safe was the call. Go safe when he should have stayed agressuve. He just doesn't seem to have it in the pressure games. Shame he is one of the best regular season coaches in the league. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived