joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of these central pressures showing up in reliable time frames on good models are quite astounding. I think 949 mbs would be very close to an all-time record in NS or PEI, I know there was one reading of 942 mbs in Newfoundland in a winter storm, but still, this is barely 40N and getting to the typical central pressure of a cat-3 hurricane.

Whatever the model produces by way of NWP guidance I would have to assume that hurricane force wind gusts would be widespread on coasts all around the Gulf of Maine and Bay of Fundy, and later through central NS, se NB and PEI, on this track, and any mixing to rain along the path will be brief. It would rotate precip quite violently and dry slot from the southern quadrant, so it might throw back 10-15" to the e MA shore and 15-20" sw Maine, quite possibly 20 to 40 inches central Maine into NB.

Further west there's going to be complex interaction with the Ontario low so bands of 4-8" snow and pockets of 2-4" pretty much back to Syracuse NY. South shore of Lake Ontario could see lake effect blizzards also, ROC at first then SYR later. 

But I think the big impacts of the Euro solution verbatim would be damaging winds and storm surges for parts of MA, trending to blizzard impacts north of Boston. 

Archived