Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Interstate said:

It will be a nervous 72 hours if the GFS does not cave by then waiting for the SW to come on shore.

I don't think I'm nervous anymore. Euro is pretty damn accurate through 72 hours. Especially with something like whether a shortwave exists or not. Ukie looked the same and the cmc was less amped but still produced. Gfs is missing something in the short range. I won't forget this. 

Things still have to go right downstream for the storm to work but when a model screws up the catalyst for the storm in the short range it makes it really hard to feel confident in the med range. 

I'm heading off to bed. Not the best 0z run suite (except for Ukie). GEFS is promising, and the EPS might be for all I know. I guess if solutions flip flop like they are now that's good news, since it means that maybe come the 12z run, the Euro will flip back and be less flat. Still, not what we wanted to see

Just looking at the Pacific where all these shortwaves are originating...it's a mess. So many little pieces of energy and interactions. Speed, amplitude, etc., all that has to be modeled correctly over one of the most data sparse regions. I really don't feel confident about any one solution until these shortwaves are being sampled better. And that won't be for another 2 days. So yes, this iteration of the Euro looked worse, but I just don't buy that it is handling all these subtle interactions correctly. Not even the King.

Take a deep breath people.

The euro tries to develop a coastal at the last minute but its way too little too late. But I guess it leaves the door open to improve in future runs. Just the whole thing is out of sync. That's the one thing that bothers me with the northern stream low. If the interaction doesn't go right it can just muck everything up.  If that northern stream low is too dominant the whole setup goes to crap. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The euro tries to develop a coastal at the last minute but its way too little too late. But I guess it leaves the door open to improve in future runs. Just the whole thing is out of sync. That's the one thing that bothers me with the northern stream low. If the interaction doesn't go right it can just muck everything up.  If that northern stream low is too dominant the whole setup goes to crap. 

This run is just 2 strangers passing in the night. Still close but didn't like the lead in much. 

ecmwf_z500a_us_8.png

Just kidding. I'm back. No reason to give up hope on one singular operational run. 

GFS tries its best to ride the coast, but falls short. At least it still shows a storm. I think we're in much better shape than if the storm was modeled to our North like was previously shown by the GFS/Euro just a couple days ago

I overreacted... Still hopeful for this event. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This run is just 2 strangers passing in the night. Still close but didn't like the lead in much. 

ecmwf_z500a_us_8.png

I don't like the trend with the northern stream. Look where it is there. That was digging in to our west when we saw big runs. That raises heights ahead and then opens up to a phase south of us.  If it comes across to our north like that it's not going to interact the way we need. It's going to squash things then phase off New England. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived