Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

18z GFS says it's snowing in 1 weeks time.  S/w digs farther south out west vs. 12z so there's more ridging over us.  Still damn cold though.  Low-mid 20s when it starts.  

It works but it's a midlevel fight and a bad primary track west of the apps....but I'm totally good with the run...

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It works but it's a midlevel fight and a bad primary track west of the apps....but I'm totally good with the run...

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

CAD very impressive thru 174 hrs

Most def.  Fun run.  Snowing from NYC to Boise at the same time.  That's a cool storm.  Puts 10-15" down before we taint.  I'd take this run in a second.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Most def.  Fun run.  Snowing from NYC to Boise at the same time.  That's a cool storm.  Puts 10-15" down before we taint.  I'd take this run in a second.

Doesn't complete the handoff in time and the primary drives the bus. Like you, I'll stick with a flatter/weaker solution being more likely. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Doesn't complete the handoff in time and the primary drives the bus. Like you, I'll stick with a flatter/weaker solution being more likely. 

Foot+, sleet, ZR, some 32-35F rain, and then whatever slop is left freezes like a glacier.  I'm 100% good with that.  

But yeah, trend has fully been toward flatter s/w's.  So I doubt this happens.  But, that was fun to look at.  

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Foot+, sleet, ZR, some 32-35F rain, and then whatever slop is left freezes like a glacier.  I'm 100% good with that.  

But yeah, trend has fully been toward flatter s/w's.  So I doubt this happens.  But, that was fun to look at.  

These runs that just explode with snow/sleet/ice are very cool, but the odds that a setup like this exactly happens is probably slimmer. Still, fun watching some areas in Maryland/Pennsylvania get 2-3' of snow plus ice. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Precip bomb into cold air is always acceptable. Taint or no taint. GFS/GEFS definitely favors this type of solution for whatever reason. It's believable at least. 

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Looking through the temp profiles on instantweathermaps, we eventually lose 750 first; then 800 and 850.  

ETA:  we lose 750 shortly after H189.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, we're mixing well before TT says we are. 

Still 0.75-1" of QPF before that.  Either way, fun run to look at.  

Altoona jackpot again.. similar this morning.  You don't see these types of widespread snowfall totals at the 6-8 day range WITH RUN TO RUN CONSISTENCY unless the GFS is really latching on to something big.  Every time we get a big storm, it is right around now that we start to see crazy totals spread out over large geographic areas.  If only the darn Euro would agree, I would say we have something.. until then.. all we can do is speculate.  

I also dont like the marginal set up.. the 12Z was more of a classic look for big MA snowstorms 

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Funniest thing is that's the Snow Depth change map. That's supposed to be the most realistic snowfall total as compared to the typical 10:1 ratio. I guess not LOL

GFS has had major problems with the sleet snow line since the upgrade last year.  It showed way too much on the southern end of several events last year. 

1 minute ago, Amped said:

GFS has had major problems with the sleet snow line since the upgrade last year.  It showed way too much on the southern end of several events last year. 

Yeah, I expected that. Hoped the Kuchera ratio would help, but it was even more kooky in terms of snow totals. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived