Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, wkd said:

It seems most of the good snow threats on the models more than 120hrs out have been too good to be true this winter. Man, I am getting so sick of rain. On the bright side, the resevoirs should be filling up nicely.

Yep...already at .46" for the day. May hit 1" when all is said and done for today with stuff moving in. Had some good downpours over night...

H5 pattern upcoming isnt horrendous but I admittedly dont love what we are seeing. Still plenty of potential in early March but here's how Im seeing things attm, tho subject to change as lead times decrease. March 2-3 threat....-NAO in place but little in the way of cold air around. BL looks marginal, at best. Primary back in the upper midwest forced under the NAO block but the damage already done to the BL....storm redevelops off the DelMarVa, rots, then meanders SE under the block. Full lat trof tries to develop centered near the Mississippi River behind this storm which acts to weaken the strong -NAO block though it should re-emerge only not nearly as strong (a weak -NAO wont cut it in this pattern in March with a not-so-great PAC). This ridging also, once again, destroys the BL out ahead of the next threat with no real source of cold air prior to the energy rolling East. Next sw comes thru the NS around March 7-8 but with a weakish NAO look allows the primary low stronger and farther N. This actually is being reflected now as a fropa with a wave along the extended cold front on several pieces of guidance. Another threat emerges March 10-ish which actually looks like a better setup on paper, but once again, we are now chasing threats 12+ days out and we all know how that goes. This looks like a pattern where we either need a perfect bombing type MECS setup or we just get shutout with either cold rain and/or weak sauce....little in-between.

So plenty of potential.....thats about all we can ask for in March, but quite honestly I would temper expectations for now. When we have to nitpick a needle in a haystack to find guidance that gives us a hit, it usually doesnt end well. Not giving up hope yet, but we keep pushing these threats back and we are starting to run out of time

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

H5 pattern upcoming isnt horrendous but I admittedly dont love what we are seeing. Still plenty of potential in early March but here's how Im seeing things attm, tho subject to change as lead times decrease. March 2-3 threat....-NAO in place but little in the way of cold air around. BL looks marginal, at best. Primary back in the upper midwest forced under the NAO block but the damage already done to the BL....storm redevelops off the DelMarVa, rots, then meanders SE under the block. Full lat trof tries to develop centered near the Mississippi River behind this storm which acts to weaken the strong -NAO block though it should re-emerge only not nearly as strong (a weak -NAO wont cut it in this pattern in March with a not-so-great PAC). This ridging also, once again, destroys the BL out ahead of the next threat with no real soirce of cold air prior to the energy rolling East. Next sw comes thru the NS around March 7-8 but with a weakish NAO look allows the primary low stronger and farther N. This actually is being reflected now as a fropa with a wave along the extended cold front on several pieces of guidance. Another threat emerges March 10-ish which actually looks like a better setup on paper, but once again, we are now chasing threats 12+ days out and we all know how that goes. This looks like a pattern where we either need a perfect bombing type MECS setup or we just get shutout with either cold rain and/or weak sauce....little in-between.

So plenty of potential.....thats about all we can ask for in March, but quite honestly I would temper expectations for now. When we have to nitpick a needle in a haystack to find guidance that gives us a hit, it usually doesnt end well. Not giving up hope yet, but we keep pushing these threats back and we are starting to run out of time

Good post. Seems to pretty much follow the concensus opinion as of now.

Once that look of the nao linking up with the stj ridge began showing up a few days ago on guidance I began to get a pit in my stomach. The fact that it is a transient feature isnt terrible BUT now we are seeing signals that it may become a recurring theme in between storm threats. Again, I wouldnt stick a fork in March yet, but this look isnt really what we wanted to see. Maybe we can somehow trend away from a poor look for a change, who knows? Like I said tho, I think this setup overall is a thread the needle thing irt timing where we either fail or get clobbered with little in-between.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
11 minutes ago, wkd said:

Once that look of the nao linking up with the stj ridge began showing up a few days ago on guidance I began to get a pit in my stomach. The fact that it is a transient feature isnt terrible BUT now we are seeing signals that it may become a recurring theme in between storm threats. Again, I wouldnt stick a fork in March yet, but this look isnt really what we wanted to see. Maybe we can somehow trend away from a poor look for a change, who knows? Like I said tho, I think this setup overall is a thread the needle thing irt timing where we either fail or get clobbered with little in-between.

Bottomline line is when you have a -3 or 4 NAO/AO combo and still can't score, you know its been a bad winter. 

0.75" of rain in NW Chesco since midnight. 1.43" over last 4 days. MTD we are now up to 6.80" still raining so we may move into 3rd wettest February on record (1894 to Present) behind only 1899 (10.22") / 1900 (7.75") / current 3rd rank 1902 (6.92"). Of interest also currently looking like we could finish as the 3rd warmest February on record behind only 2017 and 1998

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I noticed my daffodils poking out of the ground yesterday. With all this rain, if we get another stretch of warm weather like last week, spring is going to explode!

I think March will be upper 40s...low 50s....a couple 60s. Even w/this rain, I don't see much growing. Just a guess but I don't see 70+F stuff...

21 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I think March will be upper 40s...low 50s....a couple 60s. Even w/this rain, I don't see much growing. Just a guess but I don't see 70+F stuff...

Yeah, I'm afraid you're right. After our little spring tease last week, we're probably looking at 2 straight months of 40's-50's and rain.

45 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Bring it!  Actually it's not a bad thing, only in the last couple of weeks has any of it been sinking it. Snow would be most welcome, but I'm resigned to pre-spring mode now, only 4 -5  weeks or so till reasonable expectations of actual spring weather, with peepers.

armies of peepers have arisen here already

Archived