• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

I was posting in the mid atl forum there were some big shifts in the short term in the 0z nam run vs 18z. ULL about 75 miles farther S and a little faster. Ridging in E Canada flexing and forcing the sw to try and pass farther South of the region. Low is bombing out and going negative at 84hrs. I can only imagine later panels. 700 frontogenic lifting is off the charts and signaling major ccb banding development.

But alas, too much detail for the 84hr panel. Just know there were some positive shifts in the shorter term on this run that yielded what seems to be a SECS/MECS development.8a7053766703a390388ddb71ffe21972.gif9220a345be613cb0b9b04ea1dea325ae.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RedSky said:

Estimate is I will be without power for four more days I am so not into another storm

That's blasphemy around these parts!

Just kidding...any relatives? maybe Hotel? Friends to stay with?

Edit: My mistake, just reread and seen you were able to borrow a generator...good stuff! I posted too quickly..

0z GFS continues the positive ticks.....now has a good portion of SE PA 6-10" for midweek system. You can see better flexing of the neg NAO and a faster handoff which in turn allows for a slightly slower moving system. GFS was way too warm for last system so keep that in mind. It shows a start as rain before rapidly deepening the lp and throwing the ccb deformation banding across SE PA allowing for dynamic cooling. Didnt show the dynamic cooling yesterday at all so I am leaning towards less plain rain that the GFS is showing and more overall snow which would be inline with the Euro and GGEM. NAM would likely fall inline with the Euro as well if it ran to 90+ hrs. Another EE rule system falling in place?

Btw I hope Iceman hasnt lost power. Odd he is MIA with this threat rapidly emerging.

30 minutes ago, RedSky said:

weenies are crashing tidbits for cripes sake you think they havent seen snow before

Man March snow is the worst snow it sucks, yesteday's snow is a few patches 

March snows are my least favorite because of this and the texture...still cool but not as cool as Dec-Jan-early Feb.

Modify-ghetto-rig (red neck) your generators gasoline capacity...it's very possible.

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

March snows are my least favorite because of this and the texture...still cool but not as cool as Dec-Jan-early Feb.

Modify-ghetto-rig (red neck) your generators gasoline capacity...it's very possible.

I could see that with a 5 gallon tank i may blow it all up though but it would warm for a bit

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Generators suck too this one i got off somebody must have a half gallon tank it runs one hour lol, so model time is a premium for me

Gotta have power for model time, lol. There is always the car option, heated space, plug your phone in for charging, etc. Speaking from experience :).

Biggest fear now is Iceman's EE rule (Euro/NAM) which states never go against that combo when they agree. 0z Euro and 6z NAM took steps back with neither capturing the system now and allowing an escape East. Neither gets hardly any precip into SE PA at all this run. Definitely raises an eyebrow.

Wont stick a fork in it yet but 6z suite clearly bucked the positive trends we were seeing for Wednesday. GEFS still consistent and precip totals havent budged but nearly everything else seems to have stepped back and shifted things farther NE in typical Miller B fashion. 3 days to go tho, not bailing on snowfall yet. Just definitely seem to have backed down from a major threat for now. Maybe another nickel and dime event? Lets hope next few runs say this is just a hiccup.

I got back from the Flower Show about an hour and a half ago and my usual route down into and through Mt. Airy to and along Lincoln Dr., was like a war zone.  Huge trees down across major streets and intersections with nothing more than some yellow tape around them and some orange cones closing the street. Many traffic lights out (fully or partially).  I saw electric and telephone poles snapped, and saw one PECO crew working on a pole where the "T" at the top had snapped cleanly from the rest of the pole and was dangling on the wires.  I don't think I remember it being this bad during the '94 ice storms, where there was more branch litter vs this with whole trees uprooted. It was more like Hurricane/TS damage similar to what happened from Isabel, and notably Irene, where there was similar antecedent wet ground, and trees were toppled and dominoed down a line.  Could add some Sandy in there too, with the gusts.  The wet snow on the bare branches seemed to act almost like a "tree canopy" might in the summer/fall during hurricanes, and made it too much for the trees to stand. 

I don't know what the heck is going to happen if another round comes through as is progged. :unsure:  As it is, the rush hour tomorrow is going to be a friggin' nightmare along that stretch.

3 hours ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

Interesting  vortmax , upper level trough passing through tonight. Wind gusts are already picking up, felt like 40+ gust just now and the worst should arrive tonight.  

Just ready to mention this...gust have really picked up in the last 1-2hours. I was ready to take a walk and the winds were/are gusting...screw that.

It is refreshing that we are into March and not only still tracking, but looking at a pattern which could produce a couple of the most intense storms of the season. We already had #1 on March 2. Possible #2 March 7. Possible #3 (Archambault NAO flipper?) centered around March 13. Already above seasonal avg here. Everything else is gravy now. Bring it!

Archived