joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow now that is a bonafide threat. will be interesting to see what the euro does at 12z. cmc has something in this range too but just doesn't quite come together. that h5 look is a MECS no doubt, i don't care what the surface depiction is. we get that set up and this area will easily see a foot plus. this is by far the best threat this season imo

Just took a look at the 12z EPS mean and the 18z GEFS mean for our day 6-7 threat. Worlds apart. EPS says lets overamplify the sw in the midwest/GL while the GEFS says lets run that bowling ball sw under the block and off the mid Atlantic Coast as a long duration coastal storm threat for the region. Looking deeper into the EPS trying to get some hints as to what the EPS members are doing, there are very few, if any at all, that even attempt what the GEFS is doing. That is a bit discouraging. However, the GEFS have been rock steady past 4 runs or so and the clustering and overall idea among members is as unanimous in agreement as I ever recall seeing at a 6 day lead. Something has to give going forward. The pattern and blocking actually supports what the GEFS are doing, so there's that. Should be a fun week of tracking in any event. Keeping expectations tempered but I must say, if the GEFS have the right general idea with the ull pass to our South and a deepening low just off the Mid Atl Coast, there will be alot of happy people in this subforum.

EPS (top) vs 18z GEFS (bottom)f8cff520f5459645d7184be973484d45.jpg&key=46362c58e97393cc0ba0305155206d6f84cefaa20f6dac941cf64421533e3c2dbe1f4853e9e47ae370e89faee2a69fa7.jpg&key=2d3df4a4a298db74c5438e7a01b3b1089792ffa7475360c4dbed610fcf170794

Consistent threat continues to show up for Tues PM-Thursday of next week. This is the same period several of us were keying on as having potential and it doesnt look to disappoint. We can figure out specifics later but NAO block forces a bowling ball sw to the South redeveloping it Miller B style along the Coast. Should be far enough S to clearly impact most of the region and the trends actually favor farther S redevelopment. Storm rapidly intensifies and wraps in cold air. Models mixes on intensity and dynamics but potential exists for another heavy wet snowfall and I believe the odds are favorable. Need some Iceman mojo to start the thread for this one!467f519c39630aa098977878517212d8.jpge75b46289505e6d558710ff9481f7ade.jpg

12 NAVGEM came West.....high impact event now. Concern would be for a more tucked in to the coast system with N and W areas favored over the coastal plain but we'll see what happens. Looks like it might be an event where precipitation rates and Dynamics/vort pass once again play a critical role in determining who gets what and how much.92767fe3d7f57399fc3cd2e860e20831.jpg&key=19a5f751020c5be137e17c0673732f4f2234a8ef23c644e7f554196ac9d9dcbd

Nice job by the Wxsim with the last storm....just about spot on!
Now for the next one - the WXSIM with 12z data has 6" to 8" of snow for NW Chester County from Tuesday late night through Wednesday. It will change...but something to keep an eye on. Mainly rain for now in my NWS P&C

GEM has roughly 16" for your area so those numbers u threw out there aren't far fetched at all and certainly in the realm of possibility.

The only thing that worries me is that this is a Miller B. We all know how Miller B's usually perform around here. I would fear Late Bloomer over anything, however, I'll admit with the blocking in SE Canada, this thing is more likely to transfer in a favorable spot for a significant Philly-NYC-Boston SECS-MECS.

The only thing that worries me is that this is a Miller B. We all know how Miller B's usually perform around here. I would fear Late Bloomer over anything, however, I'll admit with the blocking in SE Canada, this thing is more likely to transfer in a favorable spot for a significant Philly-NYC-Boston SECS-MECS.
Late bloomer always a concern with Miller Bs BUT as you said we finally have a neg NAO and favorable block position. And we are actually getting trends towards farther S development and transfer. Yesterdays storm did the same trending, dont see why this will be much different. Another plus is lead time is lessening.....90 hours out now on some guidance.

Archived